Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
Ursodiol is a bile acid that is naturally present in small quantities in our bo
dy. It is used in the treatment of gallstones and primary biliary cirrhosis.
Uses of Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
- Gallbladder stone
- Gallstone prevention (in obese patients who are prone to develop gallstones)
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
Contraindications of Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
When should one not use Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
- Do not take this medicine if you have:
- Blockage in the bile duct
- Allergy to any of its contents
- Acute inflammation (redness and swelling) of gallbladder or bile duct
- An impaired contractility of gallbladder
- An active gastric or duodenal ulcer
Side effects of Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain
Precautions and Warnings of Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
Can I take Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol during pregnancy?
The effect of Ursodiol on the fetus is not known. Consult your doctor if you are pregnant. Your doctor will tell you about the use of Ursodiol after assessing the benefits of it over risks.
Can I take Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol while breastfeeding?
A small amount of medicine passes into breast milk. Limited information is available about its safety in breastfeeding, hence do not take this medicine unless considered essential by your physician.
Can I drive if I have consumed Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol?
No information is available on the ability to drive any vehicle or use machines. However, if you observe or experience any side effects, it is advised not to drive a vehicle or use machines. Contact your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Can I consume alcohol with Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol?
Alcohol is better avoided as it may hinder the liver protective action of this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have severe stomach pain, nausea and vomiting after taking this medicine
- You have liver or kidney disease
Mode of Action of Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
How Does It Work?
It helps in dissolving cholesterol and prevents its production in the liver and absorption from the intestine, thereby preventing gallstones. It also decreases the level of elevated bile acids that may be harmful to the liver....
Interactions of Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
Interactions with other medicines
- Estrogen preparations reduce the efficacy of Ursodiol
- Do not consume any acidity medication that contains aluminium or lipid-lowering compounds like Cholestyramine or Colestipol (which are bile acid sequestrants) an hour before or two hours after taking Ursodiol...
Interactions with food items
No information is available on interactions of Ursodiol when taken with food, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dietary Restrictions of Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Ursodiol, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dosage of Ursodeoxycholic Acid / Ursodiol
In case you overdose, you may experience diarrhea. You must contact your physician immediately or visit the nearest medical emergency centre.
Missed a Dose
If you miss a dose, take it once you recollect. If it is almost time for the next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with the routine dosage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should be discussed with my health care expert before I start the medication of Ursodiol?
- Tell the doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy
- Inform him if you are allergic to any food or medicinal substance
- Inflammation of the gallbladder, bile duct, or pancreas should be reported or if suspected should be discussed with your doctor
- Ursodiol can interact with many other medicines. Hence, the doctor needs to know about all the medications that you are consuming
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.