Naproxen is a painkiller with anti-inflammatory and antipyretic (fever-reducing) properties.
Uses of Naproxen
It is used to give relief from mild to moderate pain in conditions of joints, muscles and tendons; like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis (a painful condition), inflammation of tendons/ joint burns, acute gout and pain before and during menstrual periods (in the absence of a disease).
Contraindications of Naproxen
When should one not use Naproxen
- Allergic reactions in response to Ibuprofen, Aspirin or another Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory/ analgesic medicine
- Active or history of stomach/ intestinal ulcers or active bleeding from these ulcers
- History of asthma
- Kidney disease
Side effects of Naproxen
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Belching, heartburn
- Difficult breathing
- Feeling of indigestion
- Itching to the skin or sometimes purplish patches in the skin
- Pain in the chest below the breastbone
- Skin eruptions
- Stomach pain
- Swelling and tightness in the chest
- Bleeding from stomach, coffee color vomit, black stools or bloody
- Ulcer in stomach
Precautions and Warnings of Naproxen
Can I take Naproxen during pregnancy?
This medicine is not recommended in women attempting to conceive as it may impair female fertility. This medicine is not to be used during the last three months of pregnancy. In the first six months of pregnancy, it is used only if prescribed by your doctor.
Can I take Naproxen while breastfeeding?
The available data indicate that levels of Naproxen in breastmilk are low and adverse effects in breastfed infants are apparently uncommon. Please consult with your doctor. Your doctor may prescribe you a safer alternative.
Can I drive if I have consumed Naproxen?
This medicine may lead to dizziness. Do not drive unless you feel well.
Can I consume alcohol with Naproxen?
Do not drink alcohol while taking Naproxen. Alcohol may lead to increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have liver disease or asthma, dose adjustment of this medicine may be needed. Please consult with your doctor
- Naproxen can increase the risk of a heart attack. It occurs when there is long term or taking high doses or if you have heart disease. People without heart disease or risk factors may lead to cause a stroke or heart attack while taking this medicine. This medicine is not to be used just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft)read less
- This medicine may lead to cause an effect of the stomach or intestinal bleeding which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using Naproxen, especially in the elderly
- You should not use Naproxen if you are allergic to it. Discuss with your doctor if you have any such condition
Mode of Action of Naproxen
How Does It Work?
Prostaglandins are chemicals released in the body which cause swelling and pain. Naproxen is an inhibitor of prostaglandin synthesis. It works by reducing inflammation and also by relieving pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints and muscles.
Interactions of Naproxen
Interactions with other medicines
Most significant interactions with Zolpidem, Aspirin, Diphenhydramine, Duloxetine, Omega-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids, Cyclobenzaprine, Atorvastatin and Pregabalin.
Dosage of Naproxen
Inform your doctor immediately in case of an overdose. Symptoms of overdose include headache, heartburn, vomiting, nausea, epigastric pain, seizures, drowsiness, prolongation of clotting time leading to easy bruising and a higher risk of bleeding.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as early as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose & do not take extra medicine for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking Naproxen?
A: Naproxen can increase the risk of heart attack. It occurs when it is taken for a for long term, if you are taking high doses or if you have heart disease. People without heart disease or risk factors may lead to cause a stroke or heart attack while taking this medicine. This medicine is not to be used just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft). This medicine may lead to cause an effect of the stomach or intestinal bleeding which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using Naproxen, especially in the elderly. You should not continue the use this if you are allergic to Naproxen. Discuss with your doctor if you have any such condition. Also, tell your doctor about all your ongoing medications.
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
- Take orally with a full glass of water, take with food or milk if you occur with stomach upset
- Oral Suspension: Shake gently before use. Use with the dosing device provided
- Controlled and delayed-release tablets: Do not break, crush or chew the tablet
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayAllergy March – Have you heard of it? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Naproxen
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved