Glimepiride is a diabetes medicine that helps to control blood sugar levels and prevents long term complications of diabetes.
Medicines containing Glimepiride
+ View More Medicines
Uses of Glimepiride
Glimepiride is used to treat Type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Contraindications of Glimepiride
When should one not use Glimepiride
- If you have an allergy to glimepiride or other sulfonylureas
- Type 1 diabetes
- A complication of diabetes called diabetic ketoacidosis
- Severe kidney or liver disease
Side effects of Glimepiride
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Allergic reactions like breathing and swallowing difficulty, swelling of throat or tongue, rash
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice), itchy skin, dark colored urine
- Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) or liver failure
- Allergy of the skin such as itching, rash, hives and increased sensitivity to sun
- Mild allergic reactions may develop into serious reactions
- Severe low blood sugar level (hypoglycaemia) including loss of consciousness, seizures or coma
Precautions and Warnings of Glimepiride
Can I take Glimepiride during pregnancy?
Glimepiride tablets should not be taken during pregnancy.
Can I take Glimepiride while breastfeeding?
Glimepiride may pass into breast milk. Glimepiride should not be taken during breastfeeding. Because no information is available on the use of Glimepiride during breastfeeding, alternative medicine may be preferred. If you are on Glimepiride (prescribed by a physician), then monitor your breastfed baby for signs of low blood glucose levels such as irritability, sleepiness, poor feeding, fits, low body temperature.
Can I drive if I have consumed Glimepiride?
Glimepiride can cause low blood sugar levels, which can lead to drowsiness, unconsciousness, confusion. These can be dangerous while driving. Consult your doctor whether you can drive a car if you have frequent episodes of hypoglycemia. Keep a juice or chocolate in the car close to you when driving, in case you start feeling any of the above symptoms of hypoglycemia, immediately have the juice or chocolate.
Can I consume alcohol with Glimepiride?
Be cautious not to consume alcohol on an empty stomach. Alcohol increases the risk of low blood sugar.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have G6PD deficiency; Glimepiride can cause hemolytic anemia (destruction of red blood cells)
- You have kidney disease
- Low blood sugar - Glimepiride can reduce blood glucose, can lead to symptoms like extreme hunger, headache, nausea, vomiting, sluggishness, sleepiness, restlessness, aggression, reduced alertness and reaction time, confusion, shakiness, dizziness. If you have any of these immediately have sugar or sweet juiceread less
- Risk factors for low blood glucose levels are missing your meals, excessive exercise, certain medicines, having more dose of Glimepiride than prescribed by your doctor, alcohol
Mode of Action of Glimepiride
How Does It Work?
Insulin moves sugar (glucose) from the blood into the cells. The cells then use it as fuel for energy. In Type 2 diabetes, your body doesn’t make enough insulin or doesn’t utilize insulin properly, so the sugar is not able to enter the cells and stays in your bloodstream. Glimepiride increases the amount of insulin released from your pancreas. This insulin then lowers your blood sugar levels.
Interactions of Glimepiride
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines used to treat pain and inflammation (Phenylbutazone, Azopropazone)
- Medicines to treat diabetes mellitus (like Insulin or Metformin)
- Blood thinner like Warfarin
- Medicines used to control abnormal heartbeat
- Medicines used to treat depression (Fluoxetine, MAO inhibitors)
- Medicines used to treat gout (Allopurinol, Probenecid, Sulfinpyrazone)
- Medicines used to treat cancer (Cyclophosphamide, Ifosfamide, Trofosfamide)
- Medicines used to treat bacterial and fungal infections (Tetracyclines, Chloramphenicol, Fluconazole, Miconazole, Quinolones, Clarithromycin)
- Medicines used to treat nasal allergies such as hay fever (Tritoqualine)
- Medicines containing female sex hormones (oestrogens, progestogens)
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure called Thiazide Diuretics (water tablets)
- Medicines used to treat allergies and inflammation (Glucocorticoids)
- Medicines used to treat severe mental disorders (Chlorpromazine)
- Medicines used to raise heartbeat, to treat asthma or nasal congestion, coughs, and colds
- Medicines used to treat constipation
- Medicines used to treat fits (Phenytoin)
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure or lowering blood sugar (Diazoxide)
- Medicines used to treat infections, tuberculosis (Rifampicine)
- Medicines used to treat increased pressure in the eye (Azetazolamide)
Interactions with food items
No information is available on interactions of Glimepiride when taken with food, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dietary Restrictions of Glimepiride
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Glimepiride, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Dosage of Glimepiride
Taking more of this medicine may lower your blood sugar levels, immediately consume some sugar or sugar-containing drink. If the person has fainted reach to the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take an extra dose of medicine to compensate for a missed one.
Dr. Mahesh Muthe
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
- Ema.Glimepiride. [Accessed 1 July .2019] (online)
- Dailymed.Glimepiride. [Accessed 1 July .2019] (online)
- pdr.net.Glimepiride. [Accessed 1July.2019] (online)
- Lactmed. .Glimepiride. [Accessed 1 July .2019] (online) Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Glimepiride. [Updated 2018 Oct 31]
Last Updated on: 17 Apr 2020 | 09:19 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Glimepiride
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved