Cefuroxime is used to treat bacterial infections of tonsils, throat, sinus, ear
s, respiratory tract, urinary tract, skin, and soft tissue infections. It works by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of bacteria, which ultimately causes the death of bacteria. Cefuroxime belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics. It is available in the form of tablet, capsule, syrup, suspension, oral drops, oral liquid, dry syrup, dry suspension, injection. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or are breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting cefuroxime.
Uses of Cefuroxime
Cefuroxime is used in the treatment of various types of bacterial infections of the ears, throat, skin, soft tissue, sinus, urinary tract, reproductive organs and respiratory tract, etc.
Contraindications of Cefuroxime
When should one not use Cefuroxime
- If you are allergic to cefuroxime or similar medicines.
- If you have a history of a severe allergic reaction to Penicillin, Monobactams, Carbapenems, or other Beta-Lactam antibiotics.
Side effects of Cefuroxime
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain
- Injection site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Cefuroxime
Can I take cefuroxime during pregnancy?
Consult your doctor before using cefuroxime during pregnancy as limited safety data is available in pregnant women.
Can I take cefuroxime while breastfeeding?
Cefuroxime passes into the breastmilk in small amounts and may cause some side effects. Thus you should consult your doctor before using this medicine while breastfeeding. Watch for the symptoms like diarrhoea in the breastfed baby.
Can I drive if I have taken cefuroxime?
Avoid driving if you feel dizzy after taking cefuroxime.
Can I consume alcohol with cefuroxime?
Avoid consuming alcohol with cefuroxime, as it may worsen the side effects.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have problems with your kidneys.
- You experience continuous diarrhoea.
- You develop white patches in your mouth.
- You develop any allergic reactions after taking cefuroxime.
- You develop rash with blisters and peeling of the skin.
- Cefuroxime is not recommended for use in children less than 3 months old.
Mode of Action of Cefuroxime
How Does It Work?
Cefuroxime works by stopping bacterial cell wall synthesis. The absence of a bacterial cell wall results in the death of bacteria.
Interactions of Cefuroxime
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way cefuroxime works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Do not take Cefuroxime with your acidity medicines.
- Medicines used to treat gout (Probenecid) and medicines used to thin your blood (Warfarin) should be used with caution along with this medicine.
- Concomitant use along with contraceptive pills may cause the failure of contraceptive pills (OC pills). If you are taking the contraceptive pill while you are being treated with this medicine, you also need to use another method of contraception (such as condoms)....
Dr. Arpit Verma
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is Cefuroxime available?
A: Cefuroxime is available in the form of a tablet, capsule, syrup, suspension, oral drops, oral liquid, dry syrup, dry suspension, dry vial, injection.
Q: Is Cefuroxime an antibiotic?
A: Yes, Cefuroxime is an antibiotic medicine.
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Zinnat Tablets 125mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Zinnat Tablets 125mg - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Cefuroxime: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD [Internet]. Webmd.com. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Cefuroxime [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.