Pregabalin+Nortriptyline is a combination medicine. It is used to treat neuropa
thic pain (a sensation of numbness, tingling and also feels like pins and needles). Pregabalin+Nortriptyline is available in the form of a tablet. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or are breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
Uses of Pregabalin+Nortriptyline
Pregabalin Nt Tablet is used for the treatment of neuropathic pain.
Contraindications of Pregabalin+Nortriptyline
When should one not use Pregabalin+Nortriptyline
- If you are allergic to nortriptyline, pregabalin or similar medicines.
- If you have problems with your heart, liver or kidney.
- If you suffer from any health conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
- If you are currently taking any anti-depressant medications.
Side effects of Pregabalin+Nortriptyline
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Dry mouth
- Stuffed nose
- Lack of sleep
Precautions and Warnings of Pregabalin+Nortriptyline
Can I take pregabalin+nortriptyline during pregnancy?
Consult your doctor before using pregabalin+nortriptyline during pregnancy as limited safety data is available in pregnant women. Use effective contraception during treatment.
Can I take pregabalin+nortriptyline while breastfeeding?
Consult your doctor before using pregabalin+nortriptyline while breastfeeding as limited study has been done on its safety.
Can I drive if I have consumed pregabalin+nortriptyline?
Avoid driving if you feel dizzy after taking pregabalin+nortriptyline.
Can I consume alcohol with pregabalin+nortriptyline?
Avoid consuming alcohol with pregabalin+nortriptyline, as it may worsen the side effects.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience any allergic reactions after taking pregabalin+nortriptyline.
- You have any pre-existing medical conditions such as heart disorder, liver or kidney problem, thyroid, etc.
- You are getting suicidal thoughts after taking this medicine, talk to your doctor immediately.
- You have a history of fits, then never stop this medicine abruptly, your doctor shall gradually decrease the dose.
- You are experiencing vision problems or dizziness and sleepiness.
- Pregabalin+Nortriptyline should be used with caution in elderly patients.
Mode of Action of Pregabalin+Nortriptyline
How Does It Work?
- Pregabalin works by reducing the release of a chemical (neurotransmitter) in the brain responsible for the sensation of pain.
- Nortriptyline works by acting on the release of certain chemicals and electrical activity in the brain.
Interactions of Pregabalin+Nortriptyline
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way pregabalin+nortriptyline works or this medicine itself can affect the action of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially, if you are taking pain killers, steroids, blood thinners, antibiotics, muscle relaxing medicines, medicines to treat diabetes, psychiatric illnesses, fits and sleep disorders.
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is neuropathic pain?
A: Neuropathic pain is a condition of an abnormal painful sensation in different body parts due to damage in a part of the brain responsible for sensing external stimuli.
Q: In which all dosage forms is Pregabalin+Nortriptyline available?
A: Pregabalin+Nortriptyline is available in the form of a tablet.
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Pregabalin 150 mg capsules, hard - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Pregabalin [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Drugs H. Pregabalin: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Nortriptyline 10 mg Film-coated Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Nortriptyline [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
- Drugs H. Nortriptyline: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2021 [cited 21 November 2021]
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.