Escigress 5mg Tablet
Escigress 5 MG Description
Escigress is a prescription medication. It is used in the management of depression. The active component of Escigress is Citalopram. Depression is a condition characterised by pervasive low mood.
Patients present with complaints like feeling down, decreased motivation, feelings of hopelessness and dread, and loss of interest in daily activities, which can be debilitating. Multiple brain pathways and chemical messengers are indicated in depression, chiefly serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Anti-depressant medications target these pathways and neurotransmitters to help relieve the symptoms of depression. The medication should be taken as per the doctor's prescription. It should not be abruptly started or stopped, as it may cause withdrawal effects. Take the Escigress pill at the same time every day is advisable for maximum efficacy
|Uses||Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder|
|Side effects||Sleepiness & Drowsiness, Dry mouth, Increased sweating, Loss of libido, loss of orgasm, Reduced appetite, Fatigue, Muscle pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, abdominal pain, Tremors, Dizziness, Impairment of memory|
Uses of Escigress 5 MG
- Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder
Contraindications of Escigress 5 MG
- It is contraindicated in patients with known citalopram, clonazepam or benzodiazepine hypersensitivity or known allergies to any components in this medication.
- This medication should not be used in patients with abnormal heart rhythms.
- Citalopram should not be used to treat children and adolescents below 18.
- It is contraindicated in patients with significant liver and kidney dysfunction.
- It is contraindicated in patients with angle-closure glaucoma.
Side effects of Escigress 5 MG
- Sleepiness & Drowsiness
- Dry mouth
- Increased sweating
- Loss of libido,
- Loss of orgasm
- Reduced appetite
- Muscle pain
- Abdominal pain
- Impairment of memory
Precautions and Warnings of Escigress 5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You are on any other medications you are taking. This tablet interacts with many other medications that use the same metabolic enzymes.
- You witness any mood changes or suicidal thoughts.
Mode of Action of Escigress 5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Escigress 5 MG
- This medication should be taken as prescribed by the treating physician.
- It is recommended to take this medication on a regular schedule, i.e., at the same time every day, for optimal pharmacological effects of this medication.
- Swallow this medication entirely.
- Don't crush, chew or break this tablet.
- It's recommended to finish the full course of this medication as prescribed by your treating doctor. It may take about two weeks for the maximum efficacy of this medicine to manifest.
Interactions of Escigress 5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- This drug should not be used concomitantly or within two weeks of Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like Selegiline, Rasagiline, etc. It may cause serotonin syndrome, which is potentially life-threatening....
- The use of this medicine with thioridazine, pimozide, or monoamine oxidase inhibitors, including linezolid or methylene blue, is also contraindicated.
- Patients who are taking other medications that increase serotonin levels should receive education regarding the risks.
- It should not be mixed with medicines that cause the arrest of bleeding, such as aspirin, NSAIDs, heparin, warfarin, and other anti-coagulants or other medicines that cause decreased platelet activity. This may lead to bruising, nose bleeds, or internal bleeding....
- It is contraindicated with medications that cause changes in heart rhythms.
- Inform your doctor about your current medications at the time of prescription of Escigress.
Interactions with food items
- This medication doesn’t have any known interaction with food items.
Storage and disposal of Escigress 5 MG
Dosage of Escigress 5 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I have been using this medicine for a few days but feel no change. What should I do?
Q: I have been using this medicine for a while and feel better. Can I stop taking it?
Q: I have been taking Escigress, but I feel worse since I started. I don’t feel like eating, and my weight has been reduced by 5kgs. Can I stop it?
- Sharbaf Shoar N, Fariba KA, Padhy RK. Citalopram. [Updated 2021 Dec 11]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from:
- Citalopram 10 mg Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 20 February 2022]. Available from: