Perindopril is an Angiotensin Converting Enzyme inhibitors (ACE inhibitors). It is used for controlling high blood pressure. By lowering the blood pressure, it helps to reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack.
Uses of Perindopril
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Congestive Heart failure (a condition when the heart is unable to pump enough blood to meet the body's needs)
- Prevents heart attack (a situation where the blood supply to the heart is reduced or blocked) and stroke
- Preserves kidney function and retina in persons with diabetes
- Reduce proteinuria in diabetic and non-diabetic renal disease
- Scleroderma crisis
Contraindications of Perindopril
When should one not use Perindopril
- Do not take it if you are allergic to Perindopril
- Do not take this medicine in pregnancy (third trimester)
- Do not take if severe skin rashes with previous ACE inhibitor treatment
- Do not take if you have diabetes or impaired kidney function
- Do not take if you are treated with a blood pressure lowering medicine containing Aliskiren
Side effects of Perindopril
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Dry cough
- Swelling of the face, tongue or throat (angioedema)
- Taste disturbances
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Increases Serum Potassium in the blood
- Raised liver enzymes
- Headache and dizziness
- Breathing difficulty, wheezing
- Kidney impairment
Precautions and Warnings of Perindopril
Can I take Perindopril during pregnancy?
Perindopril is not recommended in early pregnancy and should not be taken in women more than three months pregnant, as it may cause serious harm to the unborn baby (fetus).
Can I take Perindopril while breastfeeding?
Perindopril is not recommended for breastfeeding mothers. However, no significant information is available.
Can I drive if I have consumed Perindopril?
This medicine may cause dizziness or fatigue due to low blood pressure in some persons. This may affect your driving ability. Do not drive unless you are feeling well.
Can I consume alcohol with Perindopril?
You should avoid or should take a limited amount of alcoholic beverages during this medication, however no significant information available.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have kidney disease
- Perindopril should be used with precaution in persons with kidney disease. Dose adjustment is needed in such patients.
- If you have liver disease, inform your doctor if you develop any signs and symptoms of jaundice or have raised liver enzymes while taking this medicine. In such cases, dose adjustment of this medicine may be neededread less
Mode of Action of Perindopril
How Does It Work?
Perindopril inhibits Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE). So, it decreases the activity of the Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System (RAAS) and prevent the conversion of Angiotensin I to Angiotensin II. It reduces and dilates the blood vessels so that blood flows more smoothly and the heart can pump enough blood more efficiently to meet the body's needs.
Interactions of Perindopril
Interactions with other medicines
- Analgesics such as Ibuprofen, Indomethacin can risk kidney problem
- Water pills (Diuretics) can lower down the blood pressure
- Mood stabilizer (Lithium)
- Immunosuppressant medicines such as Cyclosporine
- Potassium supplements or medications that raise Serum Potassium such as Spironolactone, Amiloride
Interactions with food items
You should avoid potassium supplements as they interact with Perindopril causing an increased risk of side effects. Avoid alcohol along with this medicine. Avoid excess salt, packed food, pickles, etc.
Dietary Restrictions of Perindopril
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Perindopril, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dosage of Perindopril
Overdose of this medicine may cause sudden kidney failure, increased heart rate (tachycardia), low blood pressure (hypotension), dizziness, anxiety, and cough, increased levels of potassium in the blood (hyperkalemia).
Missed a Dose
If you missed a dose, take the next dose as soon as you remember. Do not take a double dose if you have missed the dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What are the precautions to take before starting this treatment?
A: While taking Perindopril, particularly during the first month of its use, preferably, it should be taken at bed time as it causes dizziness. Women should inform their doctor if they are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or are nursing mothers. You should give a history of liver or kidney disease, if any.
Q: At what time should I take medicine?
A: At the start, you should try to take it during bedtime because it may cause dizziness for the first few days.
Q: Can you take potassium supplements along with this medicine?
A: This medicine may increase the level of potassium in blood. So you should avoid taking potassium supplements and potassium-rich foods such as banana and broccoli.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
2 days agoAllergy March – Have You Heard Of It? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved