Metoclopramide belongs to Dopamine-Receptor Antagonist that is used to treat mostly for stomach and oesophageal (food pipe) problems.
Uses of Metoclopramide
- To treat and prevent the slow emptying of the stomach in some conditions such as in diabetic gastroparesis
- To prevent heartburn caused by gastroesophageal reflux disorder (a situation in which acid from the stomach comes into the food pipe)
- To prevent and treat nausea and vomiting
Contraindications of Metoclopramide
When should one not use Metoclopramide
- Allergic reaction to Metoclopramide
- You have bleeding, obstruction or a tear in your stomach or gut
- Confirmed or suspected adrenal tumor (pheochromocytoma)
- History of involuntary muscle spasms (tardive dyskinesia)
- Fits (epilepsy)
- Parkinson's disease
- If you are on a medicine for Parkinson's disease called Levodopa
- History of abnormality in blood pigment (methemoglobinemia)
Side effects of Metoclopramide
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Breast enlargement or discharge (men and women)
- Missed menstrual period
- Decreased sexual ability
- Frequent urination
- Serious side effects are tightening of the muscles, especially in the jaw or neck, speech problems, depression, muscle stiffness, confusion, fast, slow or irregular heartbeat, sweating, restlessness, nervousness or jitteriness, agitation, difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, foot-tapping, slow or stiff movements, uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body, difficulty keeping your balance, rash, hives, swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, hands, feet, ankles, mouth, throat, arms or lower legs, sudden weight gainread less
Precautions and Warnings of Metoclopramide
Can I take Metoclopramide during pregnancy?
There is limited data on the safety of this medicine in pregnancy. During pregnancy, this medicine should be used when advised by your doctor.
Can I take Metoclopramide while breastfeeding?
Metoclopramide passes into breast milk and can adversely affect the baby. Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Metoclopramide?
Driving can be dangerous. Avoid driving as this medicine cause involuntary muscle spasms, drowsiness and impair your ability to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Metoclopramide?
Metoclopramide when taken along with alcohol can cause excessive drowsiness.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have heart problems
- You have abnormality with the levels of salts in your blood such as potassium, sodium and magnesium
- You have liver or kidney problems
- Do not take this medicine more than three months
Mode of Action of Metoclopramide
How Does It Work?
It increases stomach and intestinal motility. This speeds up the process of food emptying from the stomach into the intestine.
Interactions of Metoclopramide
Interactions with other medicines
- Fluoxetine (medicine for depression treatment)
- Low strength Aspirin
- Ondansetron and Vitamin D3
- Levodopa and Parkinson’s medicine
- Digoxin (medicine for heart failure treatment)
Interactions with food items
No known food interaction.
Dosage of Metoclopramide
Inform your doctor immediately in case of overdose. Symptoms of overdose may include drowsiness, confusion, seizures, unusual, uncontrollable movements, lack of energy, bluish coloring of the skin, headache, shortness of breath.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If the time for the next dose is near, skip the missed dose & do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking this medicine?
A: Give a detailed account of your medical and surgical history. Also, mention to your doctor all the prescription and non-prescription medicines, herbal preparations and nutritional supplements that you may be taking before starting this medication.
Q: What special precautions should I follow?
A: Ask your doctor about the safety in having alcoholic beverages when you are taking Metoclopramide. Alcohol can cause side effects of Metoclopramide.
- medicineplus.metoclopramide. [Accessed 27.Jun.2019] (online)
- Ema.metoclopramide. [Accessed 27.Jun.2019] (online)
- Webmed.metoclopramide. [Accessed 27.Jun.2019] (online)
- Lactmed.metoclopramide. [Accessed 27.Jun.2019] (online) Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Metoclopramide. [Updated 2018 Oct 31].
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Metoclopramide
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved