Hypromellose or ‘artificial tears’ are used to relieve symptoms in conditions that cause dryness of the eyes due to reduced tear flow.
Uses of Hypromellose
It is used to treat the dryness in the eyes because of lack of tears production.
Contraindications of Hypromellose
When should one not use Hypromellose
If you have an allergy to Hypromellose or any other ingredients of the medicine.
Side effects of Hypromellose
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Blurry vision
- Pain or irritation of the eyes
- Redness or sensation of having a foreign body in the eyes
Precautions and Warnings of Hypromellose
Can I take Hypromellose during pregnancy?
Enough data is not available. But, Hypromellose does not react with other medicines or substances in the body and is not expected to cause any unwanted effects.
Can I take Hypromellose while breastfeeding?
Though there is no clinical evidence, Hypromellose will not harm the baby even if it is secreted in breast milk.
Can I drive if I have consumed Hypromellose?
This medicine may cause blurring of vision and it is recommended not to drive in the presence of any such symptoms.
Can I consume alcohol with Hypromellose?
It is not known, but alcohol is unlikely to interfere with the action of Hypromellose eye drops.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
Inform the doctor if you develop or experience worsening of pain or irritation of the eyes, redness, headache or vision disturbances.
Mode of Action of Hypromellose
How Does It Work?
Dry eyes are due to conditions that decrease tear production. Hypromellose, which is a thickening coating and binding agent (bioadhesive), increases the duration of action of tears, to compensate for the low production. It prevents quick evaporation or breakdown of the produced tears.
Interactions of Hypromellose
Interactions with other medicines
No known interactions. But, inform your doctor about all the medicines you are using (including prescription, non-prescription, herbal medicines, vitamins and diet supplements).
Interactions with food items
Hypromellose can be taken with or without meals.
Dosage of Hypromellose
Accidental overuse with Hypromellose may not be harmful. But, wash your eyes with warm water and consult a doctor in case of any irritation, redness or pain in the eyes or visual disturbances.
Missed a Dose
Use the missed dose as early as you remember. If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not use a higher or a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed dose, and take care not to take two doses close to each other.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is Hypromellose good for the eyes? Can it relieve my condition?
- Hypromellose or Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose (HPMC) thickening, coating or a binding agent is commonly used in manufacturing of medicines, as it can help in slow release of the active component of the medicine, increasing the duration of the effect of the medicineread less
- In dry or irritated eyes and artificial eyes, where tears are not produced in enough quantity due to certain diseases or medicines, Hypromellose lubricates and keeps the eyes moist for an extended period, protecting the layers of the eye from increased sensitivity to light and other vision problemsread less
- Decreased tear production can result in red and painful eyes, damage to the inner structures of the eye and severe migraine-type headaches
- Hypromellose is an ideal medicine for this kind of situation because of physical properties which closely resemble that of our natural tears. Its longer duration of action and less potential to irritate can effectively relieve your conditionread less
Q: Is there anything else I need to know before using Hypromellose?
- You need to wash your hands thoroughly before you use the drops
- Remove the cap from the bottle of the unit if you are using a single use
- You should tilt your head back a little and pull the lower lid of your eye downwards
- Hold the bottle upside down near your eye
- Release one drop into your eye
- Remove your soft contact lenses before using this medicine and wait for at least 15 minutes before you insert them again
- Usually, one or two drops are used at one time, not more than three times per day
- Do not touch the dropper to the eye
- Although Hypromellose eye drops may be available without prescription, you are best advised to use it under medical supervision
- Consult your doctor if the symptoms do not improve or get worse after 3 days
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
Emergency use of Covishield and Covaxin in India: Is It A Wise Decision?
After months of waiting for a COVID-19 vaccine, and desperately wanting our old lives to resume, our prayers have been answered. Several COVID vaccines are almost ready and the Government has stated that roll-out will begin soon. In this context, the latest update issued by the government has triggered a country-wide debate. 2 vaccines
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Hypromellose
LUMECARE BOTTLE OF 10ML EYE DROPS
By MEDICOM HEALTHCARE
10ml Eye Drop in Bottle
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved