Griseofulvin is an antifungal agent. It kills the fungi that cause infections of the hair, skin, scalp, and nails-ringworm.
Uses of Griseofulvin
- It is used in the treatment of athlete’s foot (tinea pedis)
- Griseofulvin can also be used for treatment of similar ‘tinea infections’ such as:
- Tinea capitis (fungal infection of the skin of the scalp, eyebrows)
- Tinea corporis (ringworm infection of the hands and legs)
- Tinea cruris (also called jock itch – affects the skin of the genitals, thighs, buttocks)
- Tinea ungium (fungal infection of the nails or onychomycosis)
- Tinea barbae (fungus affects the beard and mustache areas of the face)
Contraindications of Griseofulvin
When should one not use Griseofulvin
- If you have an allergy to Griseofulvin or any of the components of the medicine
- If you are suffering from liver disease and porphyria (a condition where blood-forming proteins are defective and accumulate, resulting in purplish patches on the skin)
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Side effects of Griseofulvin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Nausea, vomiting, loose motions
- Rashes, Sensitivity to light (photosensitivity)
- Decrease in a particular type of white blood cells (granulocytopenia)
- Blistering and peeling of the skin
- Lumpy skin with or without a weeping liquid
- Reddening and burning of the skin
- Lower back pain
- Very pale urine, yellowing of the skin
Precautions and Warnings of Griseofulvin
Can I take Griseofulvin during pregnancy?
It is not recommended in pregnancy. It may harm your body.
Can I take Griseofulvin while breastfeeding?
It is not advised to breastfeed during the treatment. It may harm the newborn baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Griseofulvin?
Griseofulvin may not affect your ability to drive. But if you have any symptoms like dizziness, spinning of the head, weakness of hands and legs, or any rashes that are causing discomfort, you are advised not to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Griseofulvin?
Consumption of alcohol while taking Griseofulvin is not recommended as it can cause s potential side effects such as feeling very sick, red skin, and giddiness.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from a rare painful skin and tissue disease called Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
- You experience severe skin reactions because your skin may become more sensitive to sunlight or ultraviolet (UV) light when taking this medicine
- You consume alcohol during the treatment, you may feel sick, may be ill, an irregular heartbeat, and chest or abdominal pain
Mode of Action of Griseofulvin
How Does It Work?
Griseofulvin works by stopping the growth and multiplication of the fungus (trichophyton) that causes athlete’s foot, and thus cures the disease.
Interactions of Griseofulvin
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicine used after organ transplantation (Ciclosporin)
- Medicines to thin your blood like Warfarin
- Medicines used to treat addiction (Methadone)
- Pain killers (Phenyl Butazone)
- Oral contraceptives
- Medicines used to treat convulsions (Primidone)
- Doxecalciferol, a vitamin D supplement
- Medicines used for sedation, or relief of anxiety
Interactions with food items
Use Griseofulvin with a meal, as it will increase absorption.
Dosage of Griseofulvin
Accidental overdose may not be harmful. But inform your doctor if you develop any side effects like skin rashes, sensitivity to light, spinning of the head, weakness, and numbness of hands and feet.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as early as you remember. Skip the missed dose and do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long should I take Griseofulvin?
A: Duration of treatment with Griseofulvin depends upon the condition and may vary from 2-4 weeks to 4-6 months. In case of athlete’s foot, Griseofulvin may have to be used for 4-8 weeks.
Q: Is there anything else I should know while using Griseofulvin?
A: Griseofulvin may render hormonal contraceptives less effective. Hence seek advice from your doctor as you may have to use condom, loop, etc. (instead of pills) to avoid pregnancy while you are taking Griseofulvin. Griseofulvin must not be given to a child younger than 2 years of age or a child weighing less than 18 kg.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Could A Pandemic More Deadly Than COVID Strike Soon?
The COVID pandemic is not yet dealt with and we have already heard about a prospective new pandemic that is likely to strike any day and could be deadlier. For a long time, way before COVID struck, certain scientists had sounded the warning bells, they had prophesied that a series of killer diseases are lurking
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Griseofulvin
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved