Cinacalcet is utilized in the treatment of Hypercalcemia(high levels of calcium in the blood) and Hyperparathyroidism(high levels of parathyroid hormone in the blood).
Uses of Cinacalcet
- The treatment of high levels of calcium in the blood
- The treatment of high levels of parathyroid hormone in the blood due to parathyroid cancer or primary Hyperparathyroidism
- Treatment of secondary Hyperparathyroidism (HPT) in individuals with End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) on maintenance dialysis therapy
Contraindications of Cinacalcet
When should one not use Cinacalcet
- Do not take if you are allergic to Cinacalcet or any ingredient of this medicine
- Do not take if you have low calcium levels in blood
Side effects of Cinacalcet
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Allergic symptoms - itching, hives, rash, swelling of lips, face, throat, etc.
- Muscle pain, tightness
- Numbness around the mouth
- Shortness of breath, rapid weight gain
Precautions and Warnings of Cinacalcet
Can I take Cinacalcet during pregnancy?
It is probably unsafe to use this medicine during pregnancy.
Can I take Cinacalcet while breastfeeding?
It is probably unsafe to use this medicine during breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Cinacalcet?
This medicine may decrease your alertness. Do not drive unless you feel well.
Can I consume alcohol with Cinacalcet?
You must avoid too much intake of alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- In case you are taking treatment for high levels of parathyroid hormone in blood
- Your calcium levels are not monitored before beginning the treatment with this medicine and during the treatment with this medicine
- You feel any signs of low calcium level
- You have kidney disease, heart disease
- Person with severe kidney disease who are not on dialysis
Mode of Action of Cinacalcet
How Does It Work?
Cinacalcet mimics calcium, thereby reducing the levels of parathyroid hormone, which in turn decreases the levels of calcium in the blood.
Interactions of Cinacalcet
Interactions with other medicines
- This medicine has significant interactions with Atomoxetine, Brexpiprazole, Eliglustat, Tamoxifen, Iloperidone, Thioridazine, Pimozide, Vortioxetine, and Tetrabenazine and minor to moderate interactions with numerous medicinesread less
- A patient may require to adjust the dosage of Cinacalcet if he/she initiates or discontinues the therapy with a strong inhibitor (e.g., Ketoconazole, Itraconazole, Telithromycin, Voriconazole, Ritonavir) or inducer (e.g., Rifampicin) of related enzymeread less
Interactions with food items
No information is available on interaction of Cinacalcet when taken with food, consult your doctor or pharmacist for details.
Dietary Restrictions of Cinacalcet
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Cinacalcet, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dosage of Cinacalcet
- The effects of an overdose may be lethal and needs immediate medical attention
- The symptoms of overdose can be – nausea, vomiting, etc. If you happen to take an overdose of the medicine, kindly seek emergency medical care immediately
Missed a Dose
Do not take a double dose if you have missed a dose; take the next dose as soon as you remember.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Cinacalcet?
- Inform the doctor about your detailed medical, surgical and allergy history
- Inform your physician if you have any of the following conditions:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Low calcium levels in blood
- High or low BP
- History of seizures
- Inform the doctor if you are pregnant, lactating, or planning a pregnancy
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Cinacalcet
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved