Hydroxyzine is an antihistaminic which is used to treat allergic reactions in adults and children.
Uses of Hydroxyzine
- It used to relieve itching caused by allergies, urticaria, sneezing, running nose
- It is also used in the treatment of anxiety in adults
Contraindications of Hydroxyzine
When should one not use Hydroxyzine
- If you are allergic to Hydroxyzine or Cetirizine, other Piperazine derivatives, Aminophylline or Ethylenediamine
- If you have any heart problems or if your heart rate is low
- If you have low potassium or magnesium salts level in body
- If you have had any past medical or family history of heart disease
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Side effects of Hydroxyzine
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Feeling sleepy
- Dry mouth
- Stomach upset
- Blurred vision
- Restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw or neck
- Tremors (uncontrolled shaking)
Precautions and Warnings of Hydroxyzine
Can I take Hydroxyzine during pregnancy?
Do not take Hydroxyzine if you are pregnant. A limited number of studies of this medicine suggest that there might be a correlation between its use in the first trimester of pregnancy and congenital abnormalities in the fetus.
Can I take Hydroxyzine while breastfeeding?
It is unknown if Hydroxyzine is excreted into breast milk. It can cause excessive sleepiness in the breastfed babies, hence should be avoided in breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Hydroxyzine?
Do not drive after taking Hydroxyzine as it may make you drowsy, sleepy and can make you feel less alert than usual.
Can I consume alcohol with Hydroxyzine?
Do not take alcohol along with Hydroxyzine as it can result in excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have heart problems, glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye), fits
- You experience palpitations, trouble breathing, loss of consciousness while taking this medicine then immediately seek medical attention
- You have high blood pressure (hypertension)
- You have myasthenia gravis (a muscle weakness disorder)
- You have digestive system or stomach problems, difficulty in passing water e.g. due to an enlarged prostate
Mode of Action of Hydroxyzine
How Does It Work?
Histamine is a substance produced by the body. Hydroxyzine blocks the effect of these substances and controls allergy symptoms like itching, running nose, etc. It is mainly used for allergic reactions.
Interactions of Hydroxyzine
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines for bacterial infections (antibiotics like Erythromycin, Moxifloxacin, Levofloxacin)
- Medicines for heart problems or high blood pressure (like Amiodarone, Quinidine, Disopyramide, Sotalol)
- Medicines for psychoses (like Haloperidol)
- Medicines for depression (like Citalopram, Escitalopram)
- Medicines for gastrointestinal disorders (e.g. Prucalopride)
- Medicines for allergy
- Medicines for malaria (e.g. Mefloquine)
- Medicines for cancer (e.g. Toremifene, Vandetanib)
- Betahistine used to treat Meniere's disease
Interactions with food items
No information is available on interactions ofHydroxyzinewhen taken with food, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dietary Restrictions of Hydroxyzine
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are takingHydroxyzine, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Dosage of Hydroxyzine
Symptoms of overdose may include slowing down the central nervous system, unconsciousness, nausea or vomiting. Call the doctor immediately if you suspect you have overdosed.
Missed a Dose
Do not take the double dose if you miss any dose. Try to take the missed dose as soon as possible unless it is almost time to the next dose.
- Mayoclinic.hydroxyzine. [Accessed 4.Jul.2019] (online)
- Ema. atarax 10mg film coated tablet . [Accessed 4.Jul.2019] (online)
- Lactmed.hydroxyzine. [Accessed 4.Jul.2019] (online) Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Hydroxyzine. [Updated 2019 Apr 1]
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
PharmEasy Health Report: How COVID-19 Has Changed India?
The PharmEasy Health Report for FY 2020-21 provides information on the key trends with respect to people’s health during the COVID-19 pandemic. The need to stay healthy is now important more than ever! Here’s how people have been taking care of themselves and changed their daily habits to lower health risks and adapt to the
Why Is There A Rise in COVID-19 Cases Amidst The Vaccination Drive?
Right when India was starting to smell victory against the deadly COVID-19 disease, the virus has struck back with a new strain, which in a way has derailed the ambitious vaccination drive of the Indian government. The virus has restarted spreading its wings across India, and this time, the victims and culprits (spreaders of the
What Is So Dangerous About The Second Wave Of COVID-19?
The number of active cases of COVID-19 has been steadily reducing since late September 2020 and it was then that most public places, schools, colleges, and offices began opening their doors for regular operation. Despite this, COVID protocols were being maintained with the utmost scrutiny in all such public places. As of February 2021, more
The Latest COVID-19 News That You Must Know!
The steadily rising numbers of COVID-19 cases throughout the country has become a cause of concern for the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Although this rise in daily cases has not been consistent throughout the country, certain states like Maharashtra, Punjab, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, and Karnataka have experienced a massive spike in numbers.
Make This Holi COVID-Proof!
We have already been missing out on so much due to the pandemic! Events across the world have been canceled, gatherings are best avoided and social distancing is the new thing. As the vaccination process began, people seem to have allowed themselves to become careless and ditch the mask once in a while. Owing to
7 Important Tips To Strengthen Your Immune System
The environment we live in is inhabited with trillions of germs. We all are vulnerable to getting attacked with the deadly virus or bacteria, but if you noticed few of us remain healthy and do not get affected by the viruses like coronavirus for today’s time!Why is it so? Well, that’s the immune system that
6 Unknown Benefits Of Mango Leaves
Mango leaves?Many people have raised their eyebrows by reading this. As we all are huge fans of mango fruit, we can eat mangoes at any time. But did you ever thought about eating mango leaves? No..!! We Indians only know the one use of mango leaves that too on a festive day or auspicious day.
Lockdown 2021: What You Need To Know About The New Measures
The second phase of the vaccine drive against COVID-19 has already begun in India earlier this month. This phase is set to cover more than 10 crore people across the nation who are above the age of 60 years. The second phase also includes vaccinating people aged more than 45 years who are living with
6 Unknown Benefits Of Amazing Horse Grams
We know all kinds of grams like black gram, red gram, but we are unaware of a gram that is more nutritious than others. That’s horse gram!! Horse gram called Macrotyloma uniflorum has been around since the early ages – as early as 2000 BC! It was grown in Africa and Asia. Commonly it is
Six Popular Hair Myths You Need To Stop Believing In
Are you often in a dilemma of what to believe or do and what not when it comes to your hair? Have you brushed your hair more frequently to make it look healthier? Or avoid plucking your grey hair, so multiple do not pop up? We may hear many such myths related to hair care
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Hydroxyzine
ATARAX 10MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
By DR REDDY'S LABORATORIES LTD
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
8 other Options Available
ATARAX 25MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
By DR REDDY'S LABORATORIES LTD
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
5 other Options Available
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved