Tranexamic Acid+Mefenamic Acid
Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid is a combination medicine. It is used to relieve
pain, cramps in the lower abdomen before & during menses and reduce heavy bleeding during menses. Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid is available in the form of a tablet.
Uses of Tranexamic Acid+Mefenamic Acid
Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid is used for the treatment of menstrual cramps and pain due to heavy bleeding during menses
Contraindications of Tranexamic Acid+Mefenamic Acid
When should one not use Tranexamic Acid+Mefenamic Acid
- If you are allergic to tranexamic acid, mefenamic acid or similar medicines
- If you have problems with your heart, liver or kidney
- If you recently had a bypass surgery of the heart
- If you have a history of stomach or intestinal bleeding due to painkillers
- If you have or have ever had a blood clot in your blood vessels
- If you have a bleeding disorder called consumption coagulopathy
- If you have a history of fits or inflammatory bowel disease
- Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid should not be taken in the last trimester of pregnancy
Side effects of Tranexamic Acid+Mefenamic Acid
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Back pain
- Muscle pain
Precautions and Warnings of Tranexamic Acid+Mefenamic Acid
Can I take tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid during pregnancy?
Consult a doctor before using tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid during pregnancy as it may be unsafe for use.
Can I take tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid while breastfeeding?
Consult a doctor before using tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid while breastfeeding as it passes into breast milk.
Can I drive if I have taken tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid?
Avoid driving if you experience dizziness or drowsiness after taking tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid.
Can I consume alcohol with tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid?
Avoid consuming alcohol with tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid, as it may worsen the side effects.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have any medical history especially of bleeding in the brain or history of blood clots
- You are suffering from any type of heart disease or blood clotting disorder.
- You have problems with your kidney
- You are suffering from any respiratory disorders such as asthma.
- You experience visual disturbances after taking tranexamic acid+mefenamic acid
- You have fits
- You are taking oral contraceptives
- You have an irregular menstrual bleeding pattern that is not treated.
- You are passing blood in the urine.
- You are an elderly person
- Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid can impair your fertility. Thus, you should not take this medicine if you are trying to conceive or taking treatment of fertility.
Mode of Action of Tranexamic Acid+Mefenamic Acid
How Does It Work?
- Tranexamic acid works by improving the blood clotting by preventing or slowing down the process of break down of blood clots called fibrinolysis.
- Mefenamic acid helps in relieving the sensation of pain by inhibiting the formation of inflammatory mediators such as prostaglandin which is responsible for pain and swelling.
Interactions of Tranexamic Acid+Mefenamic Acid
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Medicines used to thin blood such as Warfarin should be used with caution as there are chances of increased bleeding upon long-term use.
- Anti-platelet medicines such as Aspirin or Clopidogrel, steroids and painkillers when taken along can induce stomach or intestinal bleeding.
- Methotrexate and lithium should not be taken along with this medicine as there are chances of toxicity of former medicines.
- Antidiabetic medicine if taken along with this medicine can lead to low blood glucose.
- Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid should not be taken for 8 to 12 days after taking a medicine called Mifepristone.
- Digoxin used to treat heart failure should not be taken along with this medicine.
- Medicines used to lower blood pressure such as water pills, immunomodulator medicines such as Tacrolimus, Ciclosporin, anti-HIV medicines such as Zidovudine, Probenecid and certain antibiotics should be used cautiously....
- Other painkillers or anti-inflammatory medicines should be used with caution along with this medicine.
Dr. Arpit Verma
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid available?
A: Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid is available in the form of a tablet.
Q: What is Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid used for?
A: Tranexamic acid+Mefenamic acid is used to relieve menstrual cramps and pain due to heavy bleeding during menses
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.