Azoprine 50mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Azoprine 50 MG Description
Azoprine Tablet is used in the treatment of organ transplants and a few autoimmune diseases. It contains azathioprine as its active medicine. Azoprine Tablet reduces the strength of the immune system
. You must use contraceptive methods while taking these Tablets and for up to 3 months after you complete the course of treatment with Azoprine Tablet. Avoid if you are pregnant or are breastfeeding. Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight, wear protective clothing and use protective sunscreen with a high protection factor while on this medicine.
Uses of Azoprine 50 MG
- Azoprine Tablet is used in the management of organ transplantation. It helps the body to accept a transplanted organ like kidney, liver, heart, lung or pancreas.
- It is also useful in some autoimmune diseases including severe inflammatory diseases of the skin, liver, arteries and blood disorders.
Contraindications of Azoprine 50 MG
- If you are allergic to azathioprine or any other ingredients of Azoprine Tablet.
- If you have a severe infection.
- If you have severe liver disease or severe bone marrow disease.
- If you have inflammation of the pancreas.
- If you need or are going to have a vaccination containing a living virus or bacteria, such as BCG, smallpox or yellow fever vaccine.
- If you are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Side effects of Azoprine 50 MG
- Reduction in the platelet count
- Frequent infections (bacterial, viral and fungal)
- Bone marrow malfunction
- Allergic reactions
- Swelling and infection in the pancreas
Precautions and Warnings of Azoprine 50 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have any liver or kidney disease.
- You have a condition where your body produces too little of a natural chemical called thiopurine methyltransferase (TPMT).
- You have an infection for which you have not yet received any treatment.
- You are going to have an operation (this is because medicines including tubocurarine, pancuronium or succinylcholine used as muscle relaxants during operations may interact with Azathioprine).
- You have a rare genetic disorder called 'Lesch-Nyhan syndrome'.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight, wear protective clothing and use protective sunscreen with a high protection factor.
- Treatment with Azathioprine increases your risk of getting a specific type of cancer called a lymphoproliferative disorder. With a treatment regimen containing multiple immunosuppressants (including thiopurines), this may lead to death....
- A combination of multiple immunosuppressant medicines, given concomitantly increases the risk of disorders of the lymph system due to viral infection.
- Increased chances of developing a serious condition called Macrophage Activation Syndrome (excessive activation of white blood cells associated with inflammation), which usually occurs in people who have certain types of arthritis....
- Your doctor may advise frequent blood tests and follow up visits during treatment to adjust the dose accordingly.
Mode of Action of Azoprine 50 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Azoprine 50 MG
- Take the Azoprine Tablet as a whole with a sufficient amount of water. Do not break or chew the medicine.
- Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you.
Interactions of Azoprine 50 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way the Azoprine Tablet works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially, if you are taking medicines for gout, immunosuppressant medicines, blood thinner medicines, water pills, antacids and live virus vaccines.
Storage and disposal of Azoprine 50 MG
- Keep the Azoprine Tablet out of the sight and reach of children and pets.
- Store below 30°C in the original package.
- Discard off the expired and unused medicine appropriately.
Dosage of Azoprine 50 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: When to stop Azoprine?
Q: What is the Azoprine Tablet used for?
Q: Is Azoprine a steroid?
- Azathioprine Tablets 50mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 19 May 2022]
- Azathioprine Tablets 50mg - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 19 May 2022]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 19 May 2022]