Octreotide is an artificially produced lon- acting somatostatin hormone whose main function in the body is to block the actions of growth hormone. The function of growth hormone (or somatotropin) is to help in growth, cell regeneration and cell multiplication in our body, the actions of which are opposed by somatostatin.
Uses of Octreotide
- Acromegaly (a condition in which growth hormone is produced in excess) Signs include big
- hands, feet, face, large bones and disproportionate increase in height
- Relief of symptoms in slow growing cancers (carcinoid tumors eg cancerous growths in the gut
- –appendix, small intestine, colon)
- To stop and prevent bleeding from dilated veins of the esophagus in severe liver disease
- (gastroesophageal varices)
- Cancer of Thyroid hormone secreting gland (pituitary adenomas) – cause increased thyroid
- levels in the body
Contraindications of Octreotide
When should one not use Octreotide
Allergy to Octreotide or any of its components
Side effects of Octreotide
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Sudden back pain (due to gall stones)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) or very low sugar (hypoglycemia) – poor control over
- blood sugars
- Decreased thyroid hormones (due to decreased activity of thyroid gland)
- Irritation/inflammation of the gall bladder (cholecystitis)
- Irregular heartbeats (slow or fast)
- Feeling thirsty, low urine output, dark urine, dry and reddened skin
- Allergic reactions (skin rashes, itching, swelling, breathing difficulty etc)
- Irritation of the Pancreas (sudden pain in the stomach, vomiting, diarrhea)
- Liver damage
- Decreased platelet count
Precautions and Warnings of Octreotide
Can I take Octreotide during pregnancy?
Available data suggests that Octreotide can harm your unborn baby and hence is advisable to avoid it during pregnancy
Can I take Octreotide while breastfeeding?
It is not known whether Octreotide is secreted into breast milk and is recommended to be avoided in females breastfeeding their babies
Can I drive if I have consumed Octreotide?
Octreotide has no direct effects on your driving ability But caution is advised. If you experience any symptoms such as dizziness, headache, fatigue
Can I consume alcohol with Octreotide?
Alcohol interacts with Octreotide and may worsen the side effects of this medicine. It is best to avoid alcohol while taking this medicine Occasional drinking may be permissible
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you suffering from or have a history of Gall stone disease
- If you are a diabetic (octreotide can increase blood sugar levels)
- If you have vitamin B12 deficiency
- Caution is advised when using this in children Use of this medication for long periods (eg, longer
- than 1 year) may slow a child's growth rate However, the growth rate catches up Octreotide is
- stopped. Consult your doctor for more information
Mode of Action of Octreotide
How Does It Work?
- Octereotide works by blocking the secretion of growth hormone in whom it is produced in
- excess due to various conditions (hormonal disorders, tumors etc)
- Both the growth hormone and somatostatin are naturally produced by the body Octreotide is an
- artificial form of somatostatin , which is similar in structure and function (synthetic analogue) to
Interactions of Octreotide
Interactions with other medicines
- Cyclosporine (medicine that suppresses the immune system)
- High blood pressure medications of the class “Calcium channel blockers” (verapamil,
- diltiazem, amlodipine, nifedipine etc)
- Certain medicines used to treat heart disease (beta blockers – atenolol, metoprolol,
- propranolol etc)
- Antidiabetic medicines like insulin injection and tablets,
- Bromocriptine (to treat high prolactin levels)
- Exercise caution and inform your doctor of all medications that you are currently taking
Interactions with food items
It is better to take Octreotide between meals or just before bed time Allow some time between taking the medicine and having food
Dosage of Octreotide
Accidental overdose with Octreotide may not be life-threatening Inform your doctor if you experience any symptoms like low blood pressure (dizziness, light-headed) or irregular heartbeats Extreme over dosage may cause symptoms may include severe pain in the stomach, loose motions, muscle pain or weakness, slow heart rate and breathing, weak pulse, fainting, and can be fatal as the breathing may stop completely. Seek emergency medical attention immediately
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose immediately if you remember 2-3 hours later. Otherwise, skip the missed dose and continue with the next dose. Do not take 2 doses together
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Does Octreotide cure cancers? Is it an anti-cancer agent?
A: Octreotide will provide relief from the symptoms of certain cancers and may sometimes reduce the size of cancer by blocking the effects of growth hormone. But it is not an anti-cancer medicine and is not used to treat cancers
Q: Is there anything else I should know about Octreotide?
- Do not self-medicate or self-adjust the dose of Octreotide. If you stop taking the
- medicine on your own, it may lead to reappearance of symptoms and may lead
- to unnecessary complications, because of the conditions for which Octreotide is
- Hence it is advised to consult your doctor if you stop taking the medicine or change the
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Could A Pandemic More Deadly Than COVID Strike Soon?
The COVID pandemic is not yet dealt with and we have already heard about a prospective new pandemic that is likely to strike any day and could be deadlier. For a long time, way before COVID struck, certain scientists had sounded the warning bells, they had prophesied that a series of killer diseases are lurking
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Octreotide
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved