Montelukast is a medicine that helps control asthma and allergies.
Uses of Montelukast
Montelukast is used to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergies such as allergic rhinitis and to prevent and manage asthma symptoms.
Contraindications of Montelukast
When should one not use Montelukast
Do not take if you are allergic to Montelukast or any other ingredients of this medicine.
Side effects of Montelukast
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain
- Nausea, vomiting
- Increase in liver enzymes
- Allergic reaction like swelling of face, lips, tongue
Precautions and Warnings of Montelukast
Can I take Montelukast during pregnancy?
Montelukast can be taken in pregnancy only if your doctor considers it appropriate for you after assessing the benefits over risks. But consult your doctor before you start the medication.
Can I take Montelukast while breastfeeding?
It is safe to give Montelukast in breastfeeding women as it has shown no side effects on the infant.
Can I drive if I have consumed Montelukast?
Montelukast does not affect your ability to drive a vehicle. If you feel dizzy or drowsiness after taking Montelukast, avoid driving or using machinery.
Can I consume alcohol with Montelukast?
Avoid alcohol while on treatment with Montelukast as consumption of both is known to lead to liver injury.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If your asthma is getting worse
- If you experience needles or numbness of arms or legs, worsening of pulmonary symptoms or rash
- You must take all asthma medications prescribed by your doctor. It should not be substituted for other asthma medications your doctor has prescribed for you
- You develop symptoms like mood changes and irritability; inform your doctor as this medicine is known to cause neuropsychiatric side effects
- You should not take Aspirin (Acetyl-Salicylic acid) or drugs to reduce swelling (also known as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs or NSAIDs) if they make your asthma worse
Mode of Action of Montelukast
How Does It Work?
It blocks chemicals called leukotrienes in the body. These leukotrienes cause allergy symptoms, narrowing and swelling of the airways in the lungs. Thus by preventing these, Montelukast improves asthma symptoms and improves seasonal allergy symptoms.
Interactions of Montelukast
Interactions with other medicines
- Theophylline derivatives like Aminophylline
- Anticonvulsant like Phenobarbital, Phenytoin
- Anti-tubercular medicines like Rifampicin
- Lipid-lowering medicine like Gemfibrozil
Interactions with food items
It may be taken with or without food.
Dietary Restrictions of Montelukast
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dosage of Montelukast
If you think you have taken an overdose of Montelukast, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital. You may experience abdominal pain, sleepiness, thirst, headache, vomiting.
Missed a Dose
Do not take a double dose if you have missed the dose; take the next dose as soon as you remember.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking this medicine?
A: You should inform your doctor if your asthma or breathing gets worse. Inform about all the prescriptions you are consuming currently, including herbal preparations.
- EMC. Montelukast. [accessed on 24Aug2019](Online)
- Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Montelukast. [Updated 2018 Oct 31].
- CDSCO.Montelukast.[Accessed 25.sept .2019] (online)
- Medlineplus. Montelukast. [accessed on 24Aug2019](Online)
- Pubchem. Montelukast . [accessed on 24Aug2019](Online)
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
2 days agoAllergy March – Have You Heard Of It? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Montelukast
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved