Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
By UNIQUE PHARMACEUTICALS
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Metrogyl 200 Tablet contains Metronidazole. It is an anti-infective medicine used against various bacteria and parasites. Metrogyl tablet is used for the treatment of infection of various parts of the body caused by amoeba, trichomonas and giardia. It works by inhibiting the growth of an infection-causing organism. You should complete the course of Metrogyl 200 tablets for an effective treatment. Do not stop taking this medicine even if you feel better. If you stop your treatment early, the infection could come back.
Uses of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
- Treatment of diarrhoea or dysentery due to parasitic infections such as amoebiasis.
- Treatment of sexually transmitted infections such as urogenital trichomoniasis or giardiasis.
- Treatment of infections in gums, teeth and skin due to various infective microorganisms.
Contraindications of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to Metronidazole or any of the ingredients of this medicine
- If you are pregnant (first trimester) or if you have a bacterial infection in the vagina
- If you are breastfeeding, discontinue breast-feeding until 12 – 24 hours after treatment
Side effects of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
- Abdominal cramps
- Eating disorder
- Unpleasant taste
- Pain or stomach discomfort
Precautions and Warnings of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
Can I take Metrogyl 200 Tablet during pregnancy?
Metrogyl 200 tablet should not be used during pregnancy, especially in the 1st trimester of pregnancy. However, the doctor may prescribe you with this medicine after accessing the benefit of the treatment over risk to the baby.
Can I take Metrogyl 200 Tablet while breastfeeding?
Metronidazole passes into the breastmilk, hence it is advised not to breastfeed during the treatment with Metrogyl 200 tablet and for at least for a day after the treatment has been discontinued.
Can I drive if I have consumed Metrogyl 200 Tablet?
You may feel dizzy, drowsy, confusion, hallucination, visual disturbance or sometimes fits after taking Metrogyl tablet. So, it is advised to be cautious while driving or operating machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Metrogyl 200 Tablet?
The consumption of alcohol along with Metrogyl 200 tablet can lead to the chances of disulfiram-like reaction where you may experience low blood pressure, hot flushes, nausea, shortness of breath and sometimes giddiness. It is advised to avoid alcohol consumption during the treatment. You should not be consuming alcohol during the treatment and at least for 48 hours after the treatment with Metrogyl.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from blood disorders like blood-fluid imbalance (dyscrasias) or porphyria.
- You had or have a history of fits or epilepsy as caution is advised to such patients.
- You are taking this medicine for more than 10 days as regular clinical and laboratory monitoring is advised.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You experience another infection after taking this medicine.
- You have peripheral neuropathy (abnormal, painful sensations such as pins and needles).
- You have kidney disease or you are on dialysis.
- You have Cockayne syndrome (growth retardation, impaired development of the brain and sensitivity to sunlight).
- You have a liver problem, frequent monitoring of liver function is required.
- You are an alcoholic as you are not supposed to consume alcohol during the treatment and at least after 48 hours of discontinuation of treatment.
Mode of Action of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Metrogyl tablet acts by stopping the growth of certain bacteria and parasites which are responsible for infection by interrupting the DNA and causing the DNA strands of the bacteria to break.
Directions for Use of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
- Metrogyl tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Take it at a fixed time for optimal results. Do not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.read less
Interactions of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Metrogyl tablet when taking along with Lithium which is used to treat psychiatric disorders can cause kidney damage.
- Concomitant use of Metrogyl tablet with anticoagulants like Warfarin may potentiate the anticoagulant effects.
- Concomitant use of disulfiram which is used to treat alcohol addiction can cause mental disorders like hallucinations, etc.
- Concomitant use of Metrogyl tablet can reduce the efficacy of oral contraceptives. Thus, a physical barrier should be used for effective contraception.
- Be cautious if you are taking immunosuppressants like Ciclosporin with Metrogyl tablet as it can increase the levels of ciclosporin in the body.
- Other medicines which may affect the activity of Metrogyl tablet are antacids like Cimetidine, Fluorouracil to treat cancer, Phenytoin or Primidone to treat fits or epilepsy.
- Discuss with your doctor about any other medicine, herbal preparation and supplements you are giving to your child currently to avoid any possible drug interactions.
Storage and disposal of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
- Store in a cool and dry place away from sunlight
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets
Dosage of Metrogyl 200mg Tablet
The symptoms of an overdose of Metrogyl tablet include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, weight loss, disturbance in taste, headache, dizziness, drowsiness and lack of sleep. If you think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: For how long should I take Metrogyl 200 tablet?
A: It is advised to follow the prescribed dosage duration. Prolonged use of this medicine may enhance the side effects like nerve damage.
Q: Can I take Metrogyl 200 tablet on an empty stomach?
A: No, you should take this medicine with or after taking food.
Q: Is it safe to take Metrogyl 200 during pregnancy?
A: No, you should not take this medicine during pregnancy, unless prescribed by your doctor.
Q: Can I drink alcohol after taking or during the treatment with Metrogyl 200 tablet?
A: No, you should not drink alcohol while on treatment with this medicine and at least for 48hrs after finishing the course of this medicine.
Q: What happens if I keep on taking Metrogyl 200 tablets?
A: Metrogyl 200 is an antibiotic medicine. If you keep on taking it for a prolonged duration, it can cause harm to the useful bacteria of your gut and puts you at the risk of other ailments.
Q: Can Metrogyl 200 tablet be used to treat Urinary tract infection?
A: No, Metrogyl 200 tablet cannot be used to treat Urinary tract infection.
Q: What is the difference between Metrogyl 200 tablet and Flagyl tablet?
A: Metrogyl 200 tablet and Flagyl tablet contains same component Metronidazole. Both are manufactured by different manufacturer hence different brand name.
Last Updated on: 16 Dec 2020 | 05:13 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 25% Off on first medicine order
Upto Rs.600 cashback on Paytm wallet + Flat 25% off on your first medicine order
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved