Prothiaden 75mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Prothiaden 75 MG Description
Tablet Prothiaden 75 mg contains dosulepin hydrochloride 75 mg. It is an antidepressant and an anxiolytic drug. It belongs to the class of medicines called tricyclic antidepressants. Depression and a
nxiety disorder are problems related to mental health. They may be due to changes in certain chemicals in the brain. This leads to persistent sadness, loss of interest in one’s environment, excessive worrying, fear and inability to sleep due to anxiety. Prothiaden increases the levels of these chemicals called serotonin and regulates the mood. This helps treat depression and anxiety disorder. Prothiaden is sometimes used for relieving nerve pains in fibromyalgia. It is occasionally used to prevent migraine though it is a long-term prophylactic treatment. You should continue taking Prothiaden for the duration and the dosage as advised by your doctor. If you stop the medicine suddenly, your symptoms can reappear, or there may be serious side effects.
Uses of Prothiaden 75 MG
- Anxiety disorder
- Prevention of migraine
Contraindications of Prothiaden 75 MG
- Known hypersensitivity to Prothiaden or other tricyclic antidepressants
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Heart disease
- Prostate problem
- Thyroid disorder
- Pregnancy or planning for pregnancy
- Breast-feeding mothers
- Adolescents under 18 years
- Thoughts of suicide
Side effects of Prothiaden 75 MG
- Common side effects
- Dryness of mouth
- Blurred vision
- Nausea, indigestion
- Difficulty in passing urine
- A sudden drop in blood pressure
- Rare and severe side effects are:
- Hypersensitivity reactions in the form of Rashes and hives
- Tightness in the chest
- Swelling of the face, tongue and eyes
- Increased heart rate
- Yellow discolouration of the eyes and skin
- Frequent muscle cramps
- Persistent weakness or confusion
- Pain and redness in the eyes
- Suicidal behaviour
- Bone marrow depression exhibiting unusual bruising, mouth ulcers and sore throat
- Contact your doctor or emergency services immediately if you experience any of these side effects.
Precautions and Warnings of Prothiaden 75 MG
Other General Warnings
- Prothiaden should be taken strictly on the advice of the doctor. You must complete the course of the treatment as recommended. You should not stop the medicine suddenly, as this may lead to the development of withdrawal symptoms that can be very serious. You must talk to your doctor if you feel any side effects. You should not take any other medicine without consulting your doctor as drug interaction may have serious adverse effects....
Mode of Action of Prothiaden 75 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Prothiaden 75 MG
- Always take the tablet as advised by your doctor.
- Keep the timing and the dosage of the medicine as is recommended in the prescription.
- Take the tablet as a whole without cutting or crushing it and swallow it with water.
- Take the tablet out of the strip at the time of having it.
- The tablet can be had with or without food as food doesn’t affect the absorption of Prothiaden. There is no stomach upset with Prothiaden.
- It is usually taken before bedtime as it may cause sleepiness.
- Check the expiry date on the strip of tablets before starting the course of medication.
- You should not stop the medicine without discussing it with your doctor.
- If you stop the medicine without completing the course recommended by the doctor, your symptoms may reappear.
- Inform your family members about the possible adverse effects and whom to contact in case of such events.
Interactions of Prothiaden 75 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Opioids such as codeine, hydrocodone, morphine
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO)
- Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, adrenaline, noradrenaline
Interactions with food items
- It is best to avoid alcohol consumption while on this medication. Alcohol can worsen the side effects of the medicine, such as drowsiness and dizziness. You can eat your usual diet.
Storage and disposal of Prothiaden 75 MG
Dosage of Prothiaden 75 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is Prothiaden habit forming?
Q: How long shall I have to take Prothiaden?
Q: Will it take a long time for me to feel better after starting the treatment with Prothiaden?
Q: How do I cope with the headaches I have while taking Prothiaden?
- A double-blind study of the efficacy and safety of dothiepin hydrochloride in the treatment of a major depressive disorder, N E Stratas
- NHS, Dosulepin, accessed 13 Dec 2021
- Multicentric Study of Dothiepin (Prothiaden) in Depression, H.S. Dhavale, Professor & Head, Dept. of Psychiatry – T.N. Medical College & B.Y.L. Nair Charitable Hospital, Mumbai