Triamcinolone is a steroid medicine used for the treatment of severe inflammation caused by diseases such as allergies, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, lupus, etc. Topical application is used in the treatment of itching in skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, allergies, etc.
Uses of Triamcinolone
- Severe inflammation e.g. arthritis, kidney disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Inflammatory signs in skin complaints
Contraindications of Triamcinolone
When should one not use Triamcinolone
- Allergy (hypersensitive) to Triamcinolone
- Recent history of taking any live vaccine
- Infection affects your whole body (systemic disease), which is not already being treated
Side effects of Triamcinolone
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Increased weight gains especially around the face
- Increased thirst, excessive urination, these can be potential symptoms of diabetes
- Increased blood pressure
- Reoccurrence of tuberculosis, if you had it in the past
- Muscle weakness
- Skin issues like acne, easy bruising, stretch marks
- Increased risk of getting infection
- Irregular periods
- Difficulty in swallowing and white patches inside the mouth
- Headache and fits
- Eye problems like cataract, increased eye pressure (on long term use)
- In children and teenager’s growth may be hampered
- Serious mental health problems like depression, suicidal tendencies, mood changes, anxiety
Precautions and Warnings of Triamcinolone
Can I take Triamcinolone during pregnancy?
This medicine should not be used in pregnancy. This medicine crosses the placenta and can affect the baby so it is unsafe to use during pregnancy.
Can I take Triamcinolone while breastfeeding?
Unsafe to use this medicine if you are breastfeeding as it can pass into breast milk and can affect the growth of the baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Triamcinolone?
It does not affect your ability to drive. It can cause some people dizziness or spinning of the head (vertigo). In such a scenario, avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Triamcinolone?
No known interaction with alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have a history of depression, mania, fits, diabetes, high blood pressure, eye problems, stomach ulcers, tuberculosis
- Steroid medicines lead to suppressing your body's natural immune response. Henceforth, if you are into contact with anyone having an infectious disease such as chickenpox, shingles or measles, then please consult your doctorread less
- Take it regularly and do not miss any doses
- This medicine should never be stopped abruptly as this can be very dangerous. Your doctor may reduce the doses gradually over a few weeks and then take you off this medicine if needed
Mode of Action of Triamcinolone
How Does It Work?
It acts by interfering with the release of certain chemicals in the body, which causes inflammation. These steroids are present naturally in the body. This medicine works by reducing inflammation, allergies and controlling autoimmune reactions.
Interactions of Triamcinolone
Interactions with other medicines
Particular medicine may interact with Triamcinolone and can have serious health effects. Medicines that may interact with the action of Triamcinolone – Aspirin, Cyclosporine, Diuretics, Ketoconazole, Itraconazole, Rifampin, blood thinners (e.g. Warfarin), Insulin.
Interactions with food items
No information is available on interactions of Triamcinolone when taken with food, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dietary Restrictions of Triamcinolone
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Triamcinolone, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further information.
Dosage of Triamcinolone
If you happen to take an overdose of the medicine, kindly seek emergency medical care immediately. The symptoms of overdose are stomach pain, vomiting, sleep disturbances, skin thinning, easy bruising, increased acne or facial hair, menstrual problems, etc.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose & do not take an extra dose of medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Triamcinolone?
- Inform the doctor about your detailed medical, surgical and allergy history
- Inform your physician if you have any of the following conditions-
- Any skin infections, diabetes, liver or kidney disease, thyroid disorder, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, mental illness, glaucoma or cataracts, tuberculosis or you have have taken any recent vaccinationsread less
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, lactating or planning a pregnancy
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
2 days agoAllergy March – Have You Heard Of It? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved