Pilocarpine is a medicine which belongs to class of cholinergic agonists and mimics the action of a hormone called acetylcholine.
Uses of Pilocarpine
Mouth dryness (xerostomia) caused after radiation therapy in cancer Sjogren’s syndrome.
Contraindications of Pilocarpine
When should one not use Pilocarpine
- Allergy to Pilocarpine
- Uncontrolled asthma
- Eye infection
- Eye inflammation
Side effects of Pilocarpine
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Allergic reaction like- fever, chills, rash, hives, breathing difficulty, swelling over your face, lips, and throat
- Irregular breathing or heartbeats, headache, chest pain, shaking, and vomiting
- Increased tears or perspiration
- Vision changes- blurred vision
- Increased urination
- Runny nose
Precautions and Warnings of Pilocarpine
Can I take Pilocarpine during pregnancy?
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning for pregnancy. It is unknown whether it harms the unborn baby. Hence a doctor’s discretion is necessary before you start this drug.
Can I take Pilocarpine while breastfeeding?
- It is unknown if this medicine can pass into breast milk and harm the child. Do not breastfeed while you are on Pilocarpine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Pilocarpine?
Pilocarpine may cause blurring of vision. Do not drive while you are taking Pilocarpine.
Can I consume alcohol with Pilocarpine?
Pilocarpine may cause blurred vision as a side effect. This side effect may worsen with alcohol. Do not drink alcohol while you are on this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Lung problems (e.g., asthma, chronic bronchitis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Heart problems (e.g., heart failure, irregular pulse)
- Gallbladder problems (e.g., gallstones)
- Stomach problems (e.g., ulcers)
- Liver problems (e.g., impaired liver function)
- Nervous system problems/ mental problems
- Kidney problems (e.g., renal insufficiency or kidney stones)
- Eye problems (e.g., narrow-angle glaucoma)
Mode of Action of Pilocarpine
How Does It Work?
Pilocarpine acts by increasing the secretion of saliva in the mouth from the salivary glands, thereby reducing mouth dryness.
Interactions of Pilocarpine
Interactions with other medicines
- Beta-blockers (Atenolol, Metoprolol). These may increase the heart-related side effects when taken along with Pilocarpine
- Anticholinergic agents (Ipratropium, Atropine). These decrease the efficacy of Pilocarpine
- Parasympathetic agents (Bethanechol). These increase the side effects of Pilocarpine
Interactions with food items
This medicine has interactions with alcohol.
Dosage of Pilocarpine
Excess Pilocarpine ingestion may cause tremors, head pain, change in blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, breathing difficulty, confusion, vision changes, diarrhea, vomiting. Seek emergency medical attention immediately if you overdose.
Missed a Dose
Take medicine as soon as you remember. If the missed dose falls at the time of your next scheduled dose, then skip it. Do not take an extra dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking Pilocarpine?
- You must inform your doctor if you are suffering from any diseases of the heart, lungs, kidney, liver, and gallbladder
- If you suffer from allergy of any kind
- If you have any psychiatric condition
- If you suffer from retinal detachment or an eye infection
- Pilocarpine can interact with other drugs hence inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, supplements, or herbs. Also, tell your physician if you are stopping any medication
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
- You must take medicine precisely the way it is prescribed by the physician. Follow the instructions mentioned on the prescription label
- Do not alter the dose unless recommended by your doctor
- Do not take it longer or shorter than advised
- The medicine can be taken with or without food
- Drink more fluids when you are on pilocarpine treatment
- It may take about 12 weeks for the drug to act
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
2 days agoAllergy March – Have You Heard Of It? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Pilocarpine
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved