Lopamide 2mg Tablet
Lopamide 2 MG Description
Lopamide 2mg tablet is an antidiarrheal medicine. It is used to treat diarrhoea caused due to various conditions. Lopamide tablets should not be used to treat dysentery, a condition characterised by
diarrhoea with blood. Lopamide 2mg tablet decreases the intestine's contraction or motility. It results in reducing the frequency of stools. It contains Loperamide as an active ingredient. You may experience headaches, nausea and constipation after taking the Lopamide tablet. However, these side effects are temporary and resolve on their own. If these side effects worsen, contact your doctor immediately. You can stop taking this medicine once you get relief from diarrhoea. Avoid taking it if you have diarrhoea with blood or bacterial infection, causing diarrhoea. Inform the doctor about the other medicines you are taking before starting with the medicine. You may experience loss of water and electrolyte imbalance because of diarrhoea. Drink plenty of fluids and water to stay hydrated. You should avoid excess spices, oils and sugars in the food while on this medicine.
|You Save||₹3.41 (15% on MRP)|
|Side effects||Headach, nausea, constipation, flatulence (gas)|
Uses of Lopamide 2 MG
- Lopamide 2mg tablet is used in the treatment of acute diarrhoea due to food poisoning.
- It is also used in the treatment of acute diarrhoea due to viral infections.
Contraindications of Lopamide 2 MG
- If you are allergic to loperamide or any other ingredients of Lopamide tablet.
- If you suffer from constipation or develop it during treatment with the medicine.
- If you suffer from swelling of the stomach during or before treatment which does not get relieved on its own.
- If you suffer from diarrhoea with blood in stools or high fever.
- If you have or appears to have symptoms of ulcerative colitis (like stomach pain or cramps, weight loss, fatigue) which is a chronic disease of the gut.
- If you develop diarrhoea due to infection caused by bacterial like Salmonella, Shigella or Campylobacter.
- If you develop diarrhoea due to the use of broad-spectrum antibiotics like Amoxicillin, Ampicillin, Cephalosporins like Cefixime, Clindamycin, etc.
- It should not be used in patients less than 9 years old.
Side effects of Lopamide 2 MG
- Flatulence (gas)
Precautions and Warnings of Lopamide 2 MG
Other General Warnings
- You are suffering from acute diarrhoea, you must pay keen attention to appropriate fluid and electrolyte replacement from time to time.
- You are suffering from diarrhoea for many days, do not keep taking Lopamide endlessly. Instead, get yourself checked as long-term diarrhoea may be a symptom of some serious underlying disease.
- You are suffering from diarrhoea for more than 48 hours and Lopamide does not control it, please consult a doctor for further treatment.
- You are an AIDS patient suffering from diarrhoea, you must stop taking tablets at the first sign of stomach distension (bloating and swelling of the belly). The chances of painful constipation and intestinal obstruction are much higher in AIDS patients suffering from intestinal infections....
- You are suffering from liver disease, Lopamide should be used with caution. It is important to watch out for dizziness, drowsiness and mental confusion.
- You are suffering from rare hereditary conditions in which your body cannot handle certain sugars (galactose intolerance, lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption).
- This medicine should be used cautiously in children and patients on a low sodium diet.
- This medicine should be discontinued promptly if signs of constipation, stomach distension or stomach pain develop.
- You should not exceed the recommended dose or duration of treatment as it is associated with increased heart disorders.
Directions for Use of Lopamide 2 MG
- Lopamide 2mg tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine.
- It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results.
- Do not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Storage and disposal of Lopamide 2 MG
- Store Lopamide tablet in a cool and dry place.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
- Discard appropriately unused medicine after expiry.
Quick Tips of Lopamide 2 MG
- Lopamide tablet is an anti-diarrhoeal medication used to treat sudden short-lived attacks of diarrhoea in adults and children above 9 years of age. It should not be used for treating any other condition unless specified by the doctor....
- Before starting this medicine, inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning on becoming pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Also, inform your doctor about all other medicines that you take and your complete medical history. Do not take any other medicine on your own without confirming with your doctor during treatment with Lopamide tablet....
- This medicine only treats the symptoms of diarrhoea. When you have diarrhoea, it is recommended to drink enough liquids and stay hydrated along with taking the medicine.
- Lopamide tablets may cause dizziness, tiredness or sleepiness. If you experience any such effects after taking this medicine, it is recommended to avoid driving, operating heavy machinery or performing any such tasks that require mental alertness....
- Headache, nausea and flatulence (gas) can be side effects of this medicine. Inform your doctor if the side effects do not resolve even after completing the entire course of this medicine.
Dosage of Lopamide 2 MG
Missed a Dose
Mode of Action of Lopamide 2 MG
How Does It Work?
Interactions of Lopamide 2 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Certain medicines can interfere with the action of Lopamide tablet if, taken at the same time. Always inform your doctor about all the medicine you are taking, that includes all prescribed or non-prescribed herbal medicines, dietary supplements as well as other treatment if you are taking for any disorder. ...
- In particular, if you are taking medicines for high cholesterol levels, fungal infection like ketoconazole, anti- HIV medicines, desmopressin which is a medicine given for excessive urination, as it increases the amount of Lopamide in blood, thereby requiring adjustment of doses by the treating physician....
- Other medicines that should be used with caution are pain killers like hydrocodone, certain anti-asthma medicines like oral preparations of Ipratropium, anti-allergy medicines like hydroxyzine, etc.
Interactions with food items
Dr. Arpit Verma
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is Diarrhoea? What causes it?
Q: Is Lopamide tablet an antibiotic?
Q: How much time does it take for Lopamide 2 tablet to work?
Q: For how long should I take Lopamide tablet?
Q: Is Lopamide habit forming?
Q: Can I take Lopamide tablets with painkillers?
Q: Can probiotics be taken along with Lopamide medicine?
Q: Is Lopamide tablet used for loose motion/loose watery bowels?
Q: Is Lopamide tablet used for vomiting?
Q: Can probiotics be taken along with Lopamide?
Q: What is Lopamide 2 mg tablet used for?
Q: When should I take Lopamide tablets?
Q: Lopamide vs loperamide, are they the same?
Q: Can I use Lopamide for irritable bowel syndrome or Crohn's disease?
Q: Can I use Lopamide for bowel/faecal incontinence?
Q: Can Lopamide tablet be used for diarrhoea due to norovirus?
- Loperamide 2 mg tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 5 August 2022]
- CDSCO - Loperamide [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 5 August 2022]
- Imodium, K-Pek II (loperamide) dosing, indications, interactions, adverse effects, and more [Internet]. Reference.medscape.com. 2022 [cited 5 August 2022]
- Loperamide 2 mg tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 5 August 2022]
- DailyMed - imodium- Loperamide Hydrochloride capsule [Internet]. Dailymed.nlm.nih.gov. 2022 [cited 5 August 2022]