Gutrex Tablet Description
Gutrex tablet provides relief from the pain, discomfort, and anxiety associated with a condition called irritable bowel syndrome. It is a combination of two medicines, namely chlordiazepoxide and cli
dinium. Chlordiazepoxide calms the mind and relaxes the muscles. Clidinium decreases the painful tightening of the gut wall. Gutrex reduces the swelling in the gut and contributes towards the healing of stomach ulcers along with other medicines. The effect of Gutrex remains in the body for a long time. It has a tendency of developing dependency. Therefore, the doctors prescribe it for a short period at a low dose and keep observing for the development of any side effect. After completion of the course, the medicine dose is gradually decreased to reduce the chances of withdrawal symptoms. The length of the treatment and dosage of the medicine is advised depending upon the severity of the condition and responsiveness to the medicine. In the elderly, it is given with caution in very low doses. Gutrex is not advised to be used in children.
|You Save||₹4.50 (15% on MRP)|
|Contains||Clidinium(5.0 Mg) + Chlordiazepoxide(2.5 Mg)|
|Uses||Irritable bowel syndrome, peptic ulcer, enterocolitis|
|Side effects||Sleepiness, confusion, constipation, weakness, forgetfulness, dryness of mouth|
|Therapy||DRUGS FOR IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME|
Uses of Gutrex Tablet
- As per USFDA, Gutrex is used in
- Treatment of stomach pain, diarrhoea, bloating, and anxiety associated with irritable bowel syndrome.
- Treatment of stomach ulcers, along with other therapy.
- Reducing swelling and pain in enterocolitis of the gut.
Contraindications of Gutrex Tablet
- If you had an allergic reaction to chlordiazepoxide or clidinium in the past.
- If you are allergic to any of the inactive ingredients in Gutrex.
- If you have prostate or urinary bladder disease.
- If you have liver or kidney disease.
- If you have an eye disease called glaucoma.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Side effects of Gutrex Tablet
- Dryness of mouth
- Unsteady walking
- Risk of increased falls in elderly people
- Risk of dependency
Precautions and Warnings of Gutrex Tablet
Other General Warnings
- You have taken or are still taking other medicine for depression before starting treatment with Gutrex.
- You are taking painkilling medicines like fentanyl, oxycodone, and tramadol.
- You are taking blood pressure-lowering medicines.
- You have any dental or surgical treatment scheduled.
- You have been taking alcohol along with the medicine.
- You conceive during the course of the medicine or are planning a pregnancy.
- You experience severe side effects.
- You are above 65 years of age.
Mode of Action of Gutrex Tablet
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Gutrex Tablet
- Gutrex tablet is to be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Swallow the medicine whole without breaking it.
- It should be taken before having food, as food may interfere with its absorption.
- Follow the instructions given by the doctor about the time and dosage of the medicine. Usually, the nighttime dose is taken at bedtime.
- Try to take the timing of the medicine the same every day.
- Inform your family or caretaker about the possibility of serious side effects and withdrawal symptoms. Share information about whom to contact in case of such events with them.
Interactions of Gutrex Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Tell your doctor if you are taking
- Medicines for depression, specifically monoamine oxidase Inhibitors
- Medicines for fits such as phenytoin, barbiturates
- Medicines used to manage severe pain, specifically opioids such as fentanyl, morphine, oxycodone, tramadol
- Blood pressure-lowering medicines such as lisinopril, amlodipine
- Birth control medicines
- Cimetidine, disulfiram and omeprazole. These medicines decrease the body’s ability to remove unused particles of Gutrex from the body.
Interactions with food items
- You can continue with your usual diet unless your doctor has given you specific instructions about the diet.
- Alcohol should not be consumed while on treatment with Gutrex as it may cause adverse reactions, which can be life-threatening.
Storage and disposal of Gutrex Tablet
Dosage of Gutrex Tablet
Missed a Dose
Dr. Tulika Singh
M.B.B.S, DFM, PDGPPHC, MPH(NUS)
Dr. Jagruti Jain
M.B.B.S., M.D., D.N.B., General Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long can I take Gutrex?
Q: If I have body pain, which medicine can I safely take with Gutrex?
Q: My mouth has gotten very dry since I started taking Gutrex. What should I do?
Q: What should I do to get relief from constipation while taking Gutrex?
- [Internet]. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2022 [cited 21 January 2022]. Available from:
- Drugs H. Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2022 [cited 21 January 2022]. Available from:
- Chlordiazepoxide 10mg Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 21 January 2022]. Available from:
- Medication Guides [Internet]. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2022 [cited 21 January 2022]. Available from: