Eptoin Inj Vail
By ABBOTT INDIA LTD
Non ReturnableRead More
Eptoin Injection is an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic medicine. It contains Phenytoin as an active ingredient. It is used for the treatment and prevention of seizures in an emergency condition where the episode of seizures lasts for longer duration and does not stop. It is also used for prevention of seizures (fits) during brain related surgery and head injury when other means of adminstration is not feasible. Eptoin injection is used under medical supervison of a doctor in a healthcare set up. You may have extremly low blood pressure or irregular heart rhythms while you are receiving phenytoin injection or afterwards. Inform the doctor if you have any heart related disorder or blockage in heart, etc.
Uses of Eptoin Inj Vail
- For an medical emergency known as Generalized convulsive status epilepticus (a seizure which lasts for longer duration than the usual seizure episodes).
- For the treatment and prevention of seizures and fits during neurosurgery and due to head injury.
Contraindications of Eptoin Inj Vail
- Known allergy to phenytoin or any ingredient of this medicine.
- Eptoin injection should not be given to individuals with have heart failure, heart blocks, heart rhythm disturbances, irregular and rapid heart rate, low blood pressure.
- You should not take this injection and inform your doctor if you have blood cells and bone marrow disorders.
- During pregnancy or brestfeeding or by an individual taking an antiviral medicine delavirdine.
Side effects of Eptoin Inj Vail
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Loss of coordination
- Unwanted movements
- Sleepling disorder
- Slurred speech
- Swelling of the feet and lower legs
- Uncontrolled eye movements
- Skin discolouration
Precautions and Warnings of Eptoin Inj Vail
Can I take Eptoin Injection during pregnancy?
Eptoin is contraindicated in pregnancy. Pregnancy should be avoided while taking this medicine.
Can I take Eptoin Injection while breastfeeding?
Phenytoin from Eptoin injection passes into breast milk. Hence, it is not recommended for breastfeeding mothers.
Can I drive if I have consumed Eptoin Injection?
Do not drive if you have taken Eptoin injection as may cause dizziness and drowsiness.
Can I consume alcohol with Eptoin Injection?
Alcohol increases blood levels of Eptoin and causes side effects. Drinking alcohol daily will decrease the blood levels of Eptoin and increase the risk of seizures. Hence, it should be avoided.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have any heart disorder including low blood pressure, heart failure, heart rhythm problems.
- You have any liver diseases or kidney related diosrder.
- You are diabetic, as phenytoin may interfere with your glucose levels.
- You have blood diseases like Porphyria (impared haemoglobin biosynthesis).
- You are alcoholic as alcohol may interfere with serum levels of phenytoin.
- There is a cardiovascuar risk associated with this medicine, inform your doctor beforehand.
Mode of Action of Eptoin Inj Vail
How Does It Work?
Eptoin injection contains phenytoin which is an antiepileptic medicine. It acts on the brain and inhibits the spread of abnormal electrical activity and thus prevents seizures and convulsions.
Directions for Use of Eptoin Inj Vail
- Eptoin injection will be given to you as an injection by a doctor or nurse in a hospital or clinic.
- Be careful of any instruction given during the administration and aftercare.
Interactions of Eptoin Inj Vail
Interactions with other medicines
- Eptoin injection may interact with other medicines and produce an altered response. Please tell your doctor if you are using any other medicines, over-the-counter medicines (that you buy without a prescription) and herbal preparation.read less
- Eptoin injection should never be taken by a patient taking an anti-viral called Delavirdine as it can lead resistance to Delavirdine.
- Fluconazole (anti-fungal), Fluorouracil (anti-cancer), Fluoxetine & Chlordiazepoxide (used for brain disorder), Omeprazole (antacid), antibiotics, lipid lowering medicine, hormonal prepration containg Estrogen and Warfarin (Blood thinner) can increase the blood levels of phenytoin and the chances of getting side effects.read less
- Action of Eptoin may be reduced if you are taking certain anti-cancer medicine such as Bleomycin & Methotrexate, anti- viral medicines such as Fosamprenavir.
- Other medicines used for the treatment of convulsions such as Carbamazepine or Topiramate can affect how phenytpoin works and can increase or decrease its actions.
- Antidiabetic medicine, vitamins such as folic acid and medicines used for heart disorders such as Reserpine, herbal preparations containing St. John’s wort, Bronchodilator medicines such as theophylline may decrease the blood levels of Phenytoin and its action.read less
Storage and disposal of Eptoin Inj Vail
- Store at room temperature. It is meant for hospital use only.
- Only a clear solution should be administered.
- Any unused portion should be discarded properly.
Dosage of Eptoin Inj Vail
- You are less likely to get an overdose of Eptoin Injection as it is given to you by a doctor or nurse in a clinic or hospital.
- Symptoms of overdose may include rapid eye movements, speech changes, tremor, vertigo, nausea, stomach trouble and slurred speech. Inform your doctor if you feel any discomfort immediately after the administration of this injection.read less
Missed a Dose
Chances of missing a dose of Eptoin Injection are rare as you will be monitored closely by a healthcare professional. In case they happen to miss a dose, please inform them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I take Eptoin injection into the muscle instead of vein?
A: Injection into the muscle is not recommended for persistent seizures due to slow absorption.
Q: Does Eptoin injection cause erectile dysfunction?
A: No, it does not cause erectile dysfunction.
Q: How should this medicine be used?
A: Phenytoin injection comes as a solution (liquid) to be slowly injected into a vein by a doctor or nurse in a hospital or clinic. It is not meant for self admininstration.
Q: Can I take Eptoin tablet instead of Eptoin injection?
A: Eptoin injection is used in emergency condition when the other means of adminstration are inappropriate, unavailable or unadvantageous. Eptoin tablet however may not be appropriate to give a patient with head injury before neurosurgery or someone with prolonged episodes of seizures.
Q: What is the difference between Eptoin and Phenytoin?
A: Eptoin contains Phenytoin as an active ingredient and which is responsible for its anti-convulsant properties.
Other Variants for
Eptoin Inj Vail
Last Updated on: 28 Sep 2020 | 05:31 AM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved