Combutol 400mg Tablet
Combutol 400 MG Description
Combutol 400 mg Tablet belongs to the antitubercular group of medicines. The active ingredient in Combutol 400 mg Tablet is ethambutol. This medicine is an antibiotic used as a first-line medicine in
the treatment of tuberculosis along with the combination of other medicines. Tuberculosis affects different organs in our body like lungs in pulmonary tuberculosis, intestine in abdominal tuberculosis, etc. Ethambutol is represented by the letter ‘E’ in the chemotherapy of WHO proposed 6-8 month multi-medicine ‘short course’ regimens in the treatment of tuberculosis by categorising the patients. All the regimens have an initial intensive phase with 4-5 medicines lasting for 2-3 months with a goal of rapidly killing the bacteria. Added to the triple medicine regimen of RHZ (combination of rifampicin, isoniazid, and pyrazinamide), ethambutol has been found to hasten the rate of sputum conversion and to prevent the development of resistance. One of the main purposes of using ethambutol in first-line therapy is to prevent the development of resistance. Disclaimer: If you are experiencing cough along with the sputum for more than 2 weeks, it is better to consult a physician for the evaluation of tuberculosis
|You Save||₹3.71 (15% on MRP)|
|Side effects||Eye-related problems, Skin rashes, Nausea (vomiting sensation), Vomitings, Diarrhoea, Pain and swelling of joints, Chills, Tense skin over affected joints, Yellowing of eyes (Jaundice)|
Uses of Combutol 400 MG
- Combutol 400 mg Tablet is used in,
- Treatment of tuberculosis affecting various organs like pulmonary tuberculosis, tuberculous meningitis (affecting membranes around the brain), abdominal tuberculosis, urogenital tuberculosis (affecting the kidneys and bladder), etc. ...
- Re-treatment and prophylactic treatment of tuberculosis.
Contraindications of Combutol 400 MG
- If you are allergic to ethambutol or any of its excipients
- If you have any pre-existing health conditions like optic neuritis (inflammation of nerve fibres behind your eyes)
- If you are suffering from serious liver conditions
- If you are suffering from serious kidney problems
Side effects of Combutol 400 MG
- Decreased vision,
- Blurred vision
- Optic neuritis (usually observed with higher dosage or overdose).
- Skin rashes
- Nausea (vomiting sensation)
- Cardiac problems
- Pain and swelling of joints
- Tense skin over affected joints
- Yellowing of eyes (Jaundice)
Precautions and Warnings of Combutol 400 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have a history of liver disease, kidney disease, gout, eye-related problems.
- You are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or you conceive during the course of medication.
- You observe any changes in your vision or any eye-related problems while you are on Combutol 400 mg. It is advised to have regular eye checkups, especially if you have any pre-existing eye-related problems....
- You have had tuberculosis in the past. Inform your doctor about treatment history and medicines used so that appropriate medicines can be prescribed.
- You experience side effects that persist or worsen in time.
- Do not stop taking Combutol 400 mg abruptly without consulting your physician.
Mode of Action of Combutol 400 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Combutol 400 MG
- Take Combutol 400 mg Tablet exactly as prescribed by your physician.
- Do not exceed the prescribed dosage or miss a dose.
- Do not discontinue the medication until the completion of the course or as directed by your physician even if the symptoms disappear.
- Take Combutol Tablet as a whole, with a glass of water.
- Do not break this medicine or chew it.
- For optimal pharmacological effects, it is better to take the tablet at the same time every day.
- It is advised to note down the days of consumption of the tablet in a week in order to avoid missing the doses or to avoid overdose.
Interactions of Combutol 400 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Inform your physician about any other medicines or supplements you are taking to avoid side effects associated with medicine interaction.
- It is advised to take Combutol 400 mg Tablet 2 hours before you take antacids. Antacids containing Aluminium hydroxide are known to decrease the absorption of Combutol 400 mg. Your doctor may advise alternatives to the antacids....
- Vitamin supplements may also interact with Combutol 400 mg Tablet. So, it is advised to inform your physician about your treatment history before prescribing the medications.
Interactions with food items
- Combutol 400 mg Tablet can be taken with or without food. There is no proper evidence of its interaction with the food. However, if you observe any difficulty while taking Combutol 400 mg Tablet along with food, consult your physician immediately. Talk to your physician about any herbal supplements you are consuming while taking Combutol Tablet....
Storage and disposal of Combutol 400 MG
Dosage of Combutol 400 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What happens if I stop taking Combutol 400 mg after my symptoms subside?
Q: What symptoms should I observe if I have a history of liver disease?
Q: Can I use Combutol in other doses if Combutol 400 mg is not available?
Q: What symptoms should I observe if I have a history of eye-related problems?
- Ethambutol: DRESS in an elderly patient: case report. React Wkly [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2022 Feb 11];1479(1):16–16. Available from:
- Tuberculosis (TB) - treatment [Internet]. nhs.uk. [cited 2022 Feb 11]. Available from:
- Stewart M. Ethambutol for tuberculosis [Internet]. Patient.info. [cited 2022 Feb 11]. Available from: