Fenofibrate is a medicine from fibrate class. It is used to treat high cholesterol levels and high triglycerides (a type of bad cholesterol). High cholesterol and triglyceride levels lead to clogging of arteries, thus increasing the risk of heart diseases.
Uses of Fenofibrate
Increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (‘good’ type of cholesterol)
Contraindications of Fenofibrate
When should one not use Fenofibrate
- Do not take if you:
- Are allergic to Fenofibrate or any ingredient of this medicine
- Have severe kidney or liver disease
- Have swelling in pancreas
- Have gallbladder disease
Side effects of Fenofibrate
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain
- Wind (flatulence)
- Feeling sick (nausea)
- Being sick (vomiting)
- Raised levels of liver enzymes in the blood – shown in tests
- Chest pain and feeling breathless
- Gallbladder stones
- Rash, itching, hives
- Inflammation of pancreas
- Hair loss
- Blood clots in the legs (deep vein thrombosis)
- Yellowing of skin
- Abnormal muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis)
Precautions and Warnings of Fenofibrate
Can I take Fenofibrate during pregnancy?
No studies are available on the safety of this medicine in pregnant women. Hence, it is better to avoid the same in pregnancy.
Can I take Fenofibrate while breastfeeding?
Fenofibrate can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not breastfeed while taking this medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed Fenofibrate?
No influence on the ability to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Fenofibrate?
Alcohol consumption with Fenofibrate may increase the risk of liver damage. Avoid alcohol while on this treatment.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have heart, liver, thyroid or kidney problems
- You have muscle aches or pains or family history of muscle problems
- In the past, you had muscular problems during treatment with other cholesterol-lowering medicines
- You are over 70 years old
- You are taking medicines for lowering cholesterol levels
Mode of Action of Fenofibrate
How Does It Work?
Fenofibrate inhibits triglycerides and bad cholesterol (LDL levels). Addiotionally, it increases the good cholesterol (HDL levels), also known as high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels.
Interactions of Fenofibrate
Interactions with other medicines
- Anticoagulants to thin your blood
- Other medicines used for controlling the fat levels in the blood
- A particular class of medicines to treat diabetes
- Ciclosporin (used to suppress your immune system)
Interactions with food items
No information is available on interactions of Fenofibrate when taken with food, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dietary Restrictions of Fenofibrate
Avoid oily food and food rich in carbohydrates should be consumed less.
Dosage of Fenofibrate
Symptoms of an overdose of this medicine can include headache, nausea, muscle pain, diarrhea and the common cold. Seek emergency medical care immediately.
Missed a Dose
Do not take a double dose if you have missed the dose; take the next dose as soon as you remember.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking this drug?
A: Give a detailed account of your medical and surgical history. Show all your previous and recent blood reports to your doctor. Also, mention to your doctor all the prescription and non-prescription medicines, herbal preparations and nutritional supplements that you may be taking before starting this medication.
- Ema.Fenofibrate.[Accessed 4Sept. 2019] (online) :
- CDSCO. Fenofibrate. [Accessed 4Sept. 2019] (online):
- Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): the National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Fenofibrate. [Updated 2018 Dec 3]:
- Daily med.Fenofibrate.[Accessed 4Sept..2019](online):
- WebMD.Fenofibrate.[Accessed 4Sept. 2019] (online):
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
2 days agoAllergy March – Have You Heard Of It? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Fenofibrate
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved