Citicoline is a substance naturally produced by the body and found in cell membranes. It is beneficial in disorders of the brain that affect functions such as movement, memory, mood changes, as it prevents injury to brain cells. It is commonly prescribed as a ‘dietary supplement’ and is available in tablet and injection forms.
Uses of Citicoline
- Supportive treatment in combination with other medicines for improvement of symptoms in brain disorders such as thinking and memory problems due to interrupted blood supply to the brain (vascular dementia)read less
- Injury or death of brain cells due to ruptured blood vessels (stroke)
- Age related brain damage and loss of function (Alzheimer's disease) that affects memory and other essential mental functions, or cause tremors and unintentional movements (Parkinson's disease)
- A condition causing difficulty in concentration and controlling impulsive behavior, restlessness (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder)
- Glaucoma (elevated pressure in the eye can damage nerves and structures in the eye causing blindness)
- Citicoline can reduce and prevent this complication
Contraindications of Citicoline
When should one not use Citicoline
- If you are allergic to Citicoline or any components of this medicine
- Conditions causing increased muscle tone or stiffness (rigidity, spasticity, or dystonia)
Side effects of Citicoline
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Headache, sleeping disturbances, vision problems (blurred vision)
- Low or high blood pressure, chest pain, irregular heartbeats, restlessness
- Loose motions, feeling sick (nausea)
Precautions and Warnings of Citicoline
Can I take Citicoline during pregnancy?
You should not take Citicoline during pregnancy. It is because the safety of this medicine for use during pregnancy has not been established.
Can I take Citicoline while breastfeeding?
It is probably unsafe to take this medicine if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed because it is unknown if Citicoline secretes in breast milk.
Can I drive if I have consumed Citicoline?
Citicoline is not known to affect your ability to drive but may cause side effects such as vision and sleeping disturbances, irregular heartbeats, etc. Hence, it is advised to be cautious.
Can I consume alcohol with Citicoline?
- You may consume little amounts of alcohol during treatment with Citicoline
- Alcohol is not beneficial for patients with brain disorders because it causes a depressive effect on the function of the brain and hamper the process of recovery
- Citicoline is used to treat alcohol dependence (in patients addicted to alcohol)
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Inform the doctor:
- If you have any brain disorders causing muscle stiffness or uncontrollable movements (hypertonia)
- Before surgery regarding all the products you use (including prescription medicines, non- prescription medicines, and herbal products)
Mode of Action of Citicoline
How Does It Work?
Citicoline is essential for the healthy functioning of the brain. It is present in the cell membranes and is capable of repairing the injured or damaged brain cells. It also helps in minimizing brain damage after any physical injury or due to impaired blood supply or due to old age. The levels are decreased in brain injury, and supplementing it is believed to repair and prevent further damage.
Interactions of Citicoline
Interactions with other medicines
- Meclofenoxate (used to treat dementia (memory, thinking, and learning problems) and Alzheimer's disease)
- Levodopa, Carbidopa, and Entecapone (all three are part of Parkinson's disease treatment)
Interactions with food items
You can take Citicoline with or without food.
Dosage of Citicoline
Citicoline exhibits very low toxicity profile in humans, and the common symptom is headache. Consult the doctor if you experience symptoms such as vision and sleep problems, irregular heartbeats, or feel restless.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of Citicoline, take it as early as you remember. If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a higher or double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How does Citicoline help me?
- Citicoline is essential for the functioning of the brain. It is of importance in case of any damage to brain and brain cells due to physical injury, stroke (rupture of blood vessels in the brain), thinking and memory problems due to interrupted blood supply to brain (vascular dementia) or due to old age (Parkinsonism or Alzheimer's disease)read less
- This supplement also has protective function and prevents blindness in conditions due to increased pressure in the eye (glaucoma)
- It is thought to work by decreasing the amount of harmful substances and related stress on brain cells (free radicals), and by regulating the release of materials that transmit nerve impulses (neurotransmitters) like Dopamine, Acetyl Choline, and Norepinephrineread less
- Loss of control of movements, balance, memory and learning problems are due to inadequate or absent regulation of these neurotransmitters
- Citicoline also potentiates the repair process in the brain, improves blood flow and increases metabolism of glucose, which is the main food for brain cells
- Citicoline has also shown benefits in managing patients with mood disorders and those addicted to narcotics
Q: Is there anything else I need to know before taking Citicoline?
- Citicoline should not be taken for long periods. Consult your doctor if you have to take it for more than three months
- It is advised to be cautious while administering Citicoline in patients where there is severe bleeding rupture in the brain. If it is being given as an injection, then it is advised to give it slowly for 3-5 minutes or as intravenous drip (by mixing in saline solution) at a rate of 40-60 drops/ minuteread less
- You may experience drowsiness or dizziness up to a few days after you stop taking this medication
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Is COVID Making a Come-Back With Rising Case-Count?
The fight against coronavirus has been going on for more than a year now. We have been living a life of restrictions since March 2020. It was a very difficult year for every one of us. We were constantly hoping that the ‘curve would be flattened’ any day. But every day we only read reports
Can You Still Contract COVID After Getting Vaccinated?
Several countries across the world have developed COVID-19 vaccines that have been found to be effective against COVID after extensive human trials. The vaccination drive has started in many nations including India. A lot of hopes are pinned on the COVID-19 vaccine. We have all suffered setbacks and with the rolling out of the vaccination
Can You Take COVID-19 Shot After Contracting The Virus? Read To Know
Amid the advancement of COVID-19 vaccination drives across the globe, the confusion and rumours around the efficacy of the vaccines are still rising. People are trying to find answers to their questions like – “When do they become immune to the virus?”, “How long does the immunity last?”, and many more. Well, these confusions exist
Here’s How To Enjoy A Holiday Meal Without Worrying About Acidity
Holiday meals are quite close to our heart; we eat all the comfort food guilt-free during holidays. Post the massive lunch and dinner, everyone in the house is either glued to the television screen or just relaxing on the couch. These large meals are a downside of festivities and a sure-fire recipe for indigestion, further
Will The Existing Vaccines Work Against New Covid Strains? Here’s What Scientists Say!
The ongoing war against the COVID pandemic is about to end soon. Across the world, several vaccines have been invented that have proved to be effective against the COVID. In India, 2 vaccines have been given emergency approval and vaccination has already rolled out. Soon enough we will all be receiving the COVID vaccine. This
Colgate Diabetics: Helping You Stay A Step Ahead In Your Diabetes Management
If you have diabetes, there are some precautions that you must take. What you eat, when you eat, exercise routines are unquestionably significant, but smiling through diabetes is also equally important. One aspect of your health that you may not always pay a lot of attention to is your oral health. Yes, diabetes and oral
How Worrying Are The Side Effects Of The COVID Vaccines?
Several vaccines against the dreaded COVID-19 are now gradually being made available across the globe. However, you may be wondering whether the risk of taking any vaccine may outweigh the benefits since the vaccines currently available haven’t been tested as rigorously as per usual protocol. Read on about the vaccine side effects people have experienced
Can Normal Life Resume After Everyone Is Vaccinated?
2021 kicked off to a good start. We all came to know that 2 vaccines have been given the emergency approval and we all saw the photos of medical professionals and frontline workers getting the corona vaccine in India. The case count is dwindling and February recorded the fewest number of new infections in the
8 Best Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
Upset stomach or indigestion is a common thing for everyone. Everyone suffers from this one or another day. There is nothing more uncomfortable than an upset stomach. This feeling of stomach discomfort increased now may be due to lack of physical activity. Covid-19 pandemic gives a sudden break to our life including our physical activity.
How To Steer Clear Of Skin Allergies! By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Our skin is one of the most sensitive parts of our body and most exposed as well. It’s easy for different kinds of allergens to come in contact and cause an unforeseen reaction occasionally. While there may be multiple symptoms for skin allergy- irritated skin is the most common one. To delve into what is
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Citicoline
COLIHENZ 500MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
By LA RENON HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved