Escipra 10mg Tablet
Escipra 10 MG Description
Escipra tablet is a prescription medication. It is commonly used for managing the symptoms of major depressive and panic disorders, with or without agoraphobia (fear of open spaces or crowded places)
. The active ingredient in the Escipra tablet is Escitalopram, an antidepressant medication. Escipra tablet is an antidepressant medicine. The mode of action of Escipra tablet is by increasing certain chemical substances in the brain and reducing the excess activity of the nerve cells, elevating the mood, increasing energy, reducing nervousness, etc. It produces a calming effect and sedation. The dosage of Escipra tablets should be carefully monitored, especially in older adults and persons with liver and kidney conditions. Even though it does not result in physical dependency, this medicine can cause psychological dependence if taken long. Escipra tablets can interact with other medicines to cause adverse reactions. It is essential to inform the doctor of the patient’s medical history and current medications.
|You Save||₹12.75 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Anxiety, Major depressive disorder, Panic disorder|
|Side effects||Delayed ejaculation, Vomiting, Memory problems, Confusion, Depression, Drowsiness, Weight gain, Loss of appetite, Change in sexual desire, Sexual dysfunction|
Uses of Escipra 10 MG
- As per CDSCO, Escipra tablet is used for the following:
- Treatment of symptoms of major depressive disorder (persistent feeling of sadness, loneliness, and loss of interest in life).
- Treatment of panic disorders (a type of anxiety disorder), with or without agoraphobia (fear of open and crowded places).
Contraindications of Escipra 10 MG
- If you have any allergic reaction to any of the components of this medicine.
- If you have a known history of alcohol or recreational drug addiction or a mental health disorder.
- If you have a seizure disorder and are currently on antiepileptic (anti-seizure) medication.
- If you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy.
- If you are nursing; this medicine may cause side effects in the baby.
- If you use other anti-anxiety medicines or sedatives, they can interfere with Escipra tablets and cause adverse reactions.
- If you are diagnosed with acute-angle glaucoma (an eye condition that causes high fluid pressure inside the eye).
- If you have severe liver disease.
Side effects of Escipra 10 MG
- Changes in sexual drive
Precautions and Warnings of Escipra 10 MG
Other General Warnings
- You notice sudden mood changes or have suicidal thoughts after taking Escipra tablets.
- You experience changes in your sexual desires after taking Escipra tablets.
- You use any Ayurvedic and herbal medicines (St John’s Wort) or take vitamins and supplements; these can interact with Escipra tablets and cause serious side effects.
- You use pain relievers or other medications that cause sedation or tranquillisation.
- You are an older adult over 65. The effects of this medicine are exaggerated in older persons and must be used with caution.
- You have been diagnosed with a seizure disorder and are on antiepileptic medicines.
- You are planning to have surgery or a dental procedure.
- You recently had a heart attack or stroke.
- You have high blood pressure.
- You have been diagnosed with respiratory or lung disease.
- You have kidney disorders. While Escipra Tablet can be safe, consult a doctor as side effects of this medicine increase in end-stage kidney failure.
- You have a liver condition; this medicine may need some dose adjustment.
- You are a child or adolescent under 18.
Mode of Action of Escipra 10 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Escipra 10 MG
- Take Escipra tablets precisely in the dose and duration prescribed by the doctor.
- Don't consume more than the recommended dose of Escipra tablet, even if you cannot notice its effects.
- Take the whole tablet with a glass of water. Do not break or chew it.
- Do not take the tablets with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Do not use these tablets if their packaging is damaged.
- Do not suddenly stop using Escipra tablets.
- Escipra tablets can be taken with or without food. In case of any stomach issues, take it after a meal.
Interactions of Escipra 10 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Certain anti-anxiety and mood disorder medicines like monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (linezolid, moclobemide, selegiline, etc.) combined with the Escipra tablet can cause severe reactions. They inhibit serotonin metabolism, resulting in high serotonin levels to produce heart and neurotoxic serotonin syndrome....
- Combining other antidepressant medicines like fluoxetine, paroxetine etc., with Escipra Tablet can raise serotonin levels and lead to serotonin toxicity with life-threatening side effects.
- If you have bleeding issues or take blood thinners, use Escipra tablets with caution as this medicine may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Do not take other medicines that cause drowsiness, such as allergy, cold and cough medicine, opiates, or narcotic pain relievers with Escipra tablets. These medicines can increase the side effects of Escipra tablets and cause extreme drowsiness....
- Antiepileptic medicines for seizure disorders can increase the side effects of Escipra tablets.
Interactions with food items
- Avoid grapefruit and its juice, as this fruit can worsen the side effects of Escipra tablets.
- Avoid coffee and caffeine products as well as chocolates and desserts; these foods can increase serotonin levels and cause serotonin toxicity. High levels of serotonin can cause severe side effects
Storage and disposal of Escipra 10 MG
Dosage of Escipra 10 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I use Escipra tablets for the long term if I do not see an improvement in my condition?
Q: Can daily use of Escipra tablets cause sexual dysfunction?
Q: Will I put on weight if I use Escipra tablets every day?
- Escitalopram: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. US National Library of Medicine [cited 2022 Mar 2] - Available from
- Landy K. Escitalopram [Internet]. StatPearls [Internet]. US National Library of Medicine. 2021 [cited 2022 Mar 2] - Available from
- Escitalopram [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. US National Library of Medicine. 2021 [cited 2022 Mar 2] - Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Mar 2] - Available from: