Desowen 0.05% Cream 10gm
Desowen 0.05 % Description
Desowen cream contains desonide as the active ingredient. This cream helps to relieve the redness, itching, swelling caused due to the inflammatory reaction at the affected part of the body. It is no
recommended for children below 18 years of age, as excessive use of this cream may lead to decreased and abnormal growth in children. This cream is recommended for external use only and a short duration as recommended by your doctor. Inform your doctor if you are diabetic as this cream affects your blood sugar levels. Long-term use may lead to a condition of excessive cortisol in the body with undesirable reactions like swelling on face, thinning of the skin, weakness, etc. Inform your doctor about all your medical conditions and medication before starting treatment with this cream. Avoid self-medication.
Uses of Desowen 0.05 %
Contraindications of Desowen 0.05 %
Side effects of Desowen 0.05 %
- Stinging, burning, irritation, peeling, dryness, and itching sensation on the skin
- Redness of the skin
- Acne and/or tiny red bumps or rash around the mouth
- Small white or red bumps on the skin
- Skin discolouration
- There are some of the side-effects that are rare but may require doctor attention Severe skin rash, redness, pus formation and pain
Precautions and Warnings of Desowen 0.05 %
Other General Warnings
- You are pregnant or planning for a pregnancy.
- You are breastfeeding/lactating.
- You are planning for any surgery.
- You are allergic to any active or other ingredients in the cream.
- You are suffering from diabetes and are taking medicines for the same.
- You have high levels of hormone cortisol (Cushing's syndrome which shows symptoms of weight gain particularly in the stomach and back region, deposits of fat in the body, thinning of the skin, weakness, tiredness, hair loss, swelling on face, increased blood sugar levels, etc./ hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis suppression which has symptoms like tiredness, muscle weakness and weight loss) or are experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms....
- You notice the development of purple, red or brown skin blotches as prolonged use of this cream can lead to a type of skin cancer known as Kaposi's sarcoma which shows the symptoms as mentioned.
- You are suffering from any liver-related disease.
Mode of Action of Desowen 0.05 %
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Desowen 0.05 %
- Use this medicine as directed by your doctor.
- For external use only. Apply it on a healthy skin surface, free from cuts and wounds.
- Wash your hands before and after using this medicine unless your hands are the area to be treated.
- In case your eyes come in contact with this medicine, rinse your eyes with clean water immediately.
Interactions of Desowen 0.05 %
Interactions with other medicines
- Concomitant use with medicines used to treat high blood sugar levels (Diabetes) should be done under expert guidance with caution as the active ingredient desonide gets absorbed into the body it is known to increase the blood sugar levels by decreasing the action of insulin....
- This medicine should be used with caution if you are on the following medication oral corticosteroids (e.g., prednisone), other topical corticosteroids (e.g., hydrocortisone), drugs that suppress the immune system (e.g., cyclosporine) as it may worsen the effects of Desowen cream....
- Since this cream is to be used externally on the skin, it is less likely to interact with other medicines.
- However, consult your doctor if you are taking other medicines for treating other health conditions.
Storage and disposal of Desowen 0.05 %
Dosage of Desowen 0.05 %
- High dose or long-term use may make your skin thin, easy to bruise, hormonal changes like increased facial hair, acne, menstrual problems and loss of interest in sexual activity in some cases.
- As this cream is meant for external application, cases of overdose are unlikely.
- However, upon accidental ingestion, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital. If you have applied extra quantities of it, wipe out the excess of the medicine with tissue or cotton....
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Desowen cream be used for fungal infections ?
Q: Can Desowen cream treat acne?
Q: Can Desowen cream treat ringworm infections?
Q: Is Desonide same as Hydrocortisone?
Q: Can Desonide be used for insect bites?
Q: Is Desowen safe to use on the face?
Q: Can you wear makeup over Desowen?
Q: Does Desowen need a prescription?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 1 December 2021]
- Desonide [Internet]. Dailymed.nlm.nih.gov. 2021 [cited 1 December 2021]
- Desonide topical [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2021 [cited 1 December 2021]
- Desonide topical [Internet] Drugs.com. 2021 [cited 1 December 2021]
- Desonide- NCBI [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2021 [cited 1 December 2021]