Fostera 5mg Tablet
Fostera 5mg Tablet Description
Fostera tablet is used to treat major depressive disorders that are resistant to other medications and depression in patients with Bipolar disorder. It has two active ingredients: fluoxetine and olan
zapine. It is an antidepressant medication. The mode of action of Fostera tablet is by balancing the brain's chemical substances that slow down the overworked nervous system. It also stabilises mood and improves behaviour. Depression is a mood disorder that affects the normal day to day life of a person, which lowers the quality of life. It can cause immensely low mood and loss of interest in life. The proper dosage of Fostera tablets helps in relieving these symptoms. Take this medication in the exact dose prescribed by the doctor as it can cause various adverse effects like drowsiness, fatigue, etc. Stopping this medicine suddenly can cause withdrawal symptoms like cramps, sweating, vomiting, and tremors. Its dose should be slowly lowered. It depends on the individual and varies from person to person. It is not a habit-forming medicine, but some people with a history of addiction can abuse it. Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
|You Save||₹11.70 (15% on MRP)|
|Contains||Fluoxetine(20.0 Mg) + Olanzapine(5.0 Mg)|
|Uses||Depression resistant to other medicines, Depression in Bipolar disorder|
|Side effects||Lightheadedness, Blurred speech, Drowsiness, Fatigue, Change in sex drive, Balancing problems, Constipation, Dryness in mouth, Weight gain, Muscle stiffness, Restlessness, Tremor, Delayed ejaculation, Anorgasmia (decreased orgasm),|
Uses of Fostera 5mg Tablet
- As per CDSCO and USFDA, Fostera tablet is used to manage depressive disorders resistant to other kinds of treatments. It is also used in the treatment of depression in Bipolar disorder patients.
Contraindications of Fostera 5mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to any ingredient of Fostera tablet.
- If you have a history of sudden mood changes or suicidal thoughts.
- If you have used different kinds of antidepressant medicines in the last 14 days.
- If you are currently going through treatment with thioridazine and pimozide medications. This medicine can worsen the patient's condition.
- If you have conditions that cause hyperprolactinemia (high prolactin levels), Fostera medicine will further increase prolactin levels.
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma (an eye condition). The Fostera tablet can worsen the pressure inside the eye.
- If you have severe stomach or intestinal blockage due to paralytic ileus (decreased movements of intestines).
- If you are pregnant, want to get pregnant, or breastfeeding, notify your doctor.
- If you are diagnosed with the neuroleptic malignant syndrome (a rare reaction to antipsychotic medicines that affects the nervous system).
- If you have tardive dyskinesia (stiff, uncontrollable movements of the body).
Side effects of Fostera 5mg Tablet
- Blurred speech
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
- Change in sex drive
- Sleep-related problems
Precautions and Warnings of Fostera 5mg Tablet
Other General Warnings
- You have breathing problems during sleep (sleep apnea).
- You have a seizure disorder and are under antiepileptic medication.
- You have a history of low blood pressure and diabetes.
- You are an elderly patient over 65 years of age. High doses of this medicine may cause serious adverse effects due to slow metabolism in elderly patients.
- You are going to have a medical or dental procedure.
- You smoke cigarettes or use tobacco products. Tobacco can decrease the effectiveness of this medicine.
- You have withdrawal symptoms like sweating, tremors, nausea, agitation, and confusion. Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. The dosage needs to be slowly tapered.
- You have been previously diagnosed with lung, kidney, or liver disease.
- You are using any vitamin, ayurvedic, herbal medicines, and supplements. Some can interfere with this medicine and can cause adverse effects.
Mode of Action of Fostera 5mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Fostera 5mg Tablet
- Take the Fostera tablet in the exact dosage and at the same time each day.
- Do not increase the dosage, even if you cannot notice its effects.
- Take this tablet as it is with a glass of water.
- Do not try to break this tablet or chew it.
- Do not take Fostera tablets with other medications without informing your doctor.
- If you stop taking this medication suddenly, it may have unwanted side effects.
Interactions of Fostera 5mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- If you have taken fluoxetine, an ingredient in this tablet in the last five weeks, inform your doctor. It can stay in the body for a long period, and taking this medicine can lead to overdose side effects....
- Fostera medicine can increase bleeding if you use blood thinners (warfarin) and medicines such as aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.
- If you are currently using antiepileptics (seizure medicines), antipsychotics, antiarrhythmics (heart medicine), Fostera tablets can slow down the removal of these medicines.
- If you have taken MAO antidepressant medications (linezolid, selegiline, etc.) in the last 14 days, Fostera tablets can interact to cause fatal reactions.
- If you are using any medicines that increase serotonin levels in the body, Fostera tablets can cause serotonin toxicity.
- Do not take medicines that cause drowsiness with Fostera tablets, such as anti-allergy medicines, cold or cough medicines, certain pain relievers, sleeping pills, etc.
- Pimozide medicine is contraindicated to use with Fostera tablets as it can cause QT prolongation (heart rhythm disorder).
Interactions with food items
- While consuming a Fostera tablet, do not eat Tyramine rich foods such as cheese, milk, meat, bananas, soy, excess chocolate, chicken liver, canned figs, etc. It can cause serious side effects and a sudden increase in blood pressure....
- Avoid grapefruit and its juice. It can lead to potentially serious side effects.
- Do not use cigarettes or tobacco products. They can alter the effectiveness of the Fostera tablet.
Storage and disposal of Fostera 5mg Tablet
Dosage of Fostera 5mg Tablet
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I gain weight if I use the Fostera tablets every day?
Q: Can I use the Fostera tablet if I have seizures?
Q: Can I use Fostera safely for a long duration?
- Olanzapine/Fluoxetine: A review of its use in patients with treatment-resistant major depressive disorder [Internet]. CNS drugs. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 feb 23]
- Olanzapine and fluoxetine combination therapy for treatment-resistant depression: Review of efficacy, safety, and study design issues [Internet]. Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment. Dove Medical Press; 2009 [cited 2022 feb 23] -
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Feb 23]. Available from
- SYMBYAX (olanzapine and fluoxetine hydrochloride) capsule for oral use. Initial U.S. Approval: 2003. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2022 [cited 2022 Feb 23]. Available from: