Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
By ZYDUS CADILA HEALTHCARE LTD
20 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Dexona tablet is used for the treatment of various inflammatory conditions, allergies, auto-immune conditions and manage the symptoms and side effects of certain types of cancer. Dexona tablet contain
s Dexamethasone, which belongs to a group of medicines called steroids. It works by reducing the formation of inflammation-causing substances in the body. It should be taken as directed by the doctor and in doses and duration as prescribed. It should be taken with or after food. Dexona should be avoided by pregnant women and should be given to children under medical supervision. You may sometimes experience side effects like depression, increased appetite, indigestion, nervousness, decreased wound healing, mood swings, hallucinations, etc while on treatment with Dexona tablet. Most of the side effects are temporary. However, if you feel the side effects persist or your condition worsens, you should contact your doctor immediately. Before using this medicine, inform the doctor about your detailed medical history....
Uses of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- Dexona is a steroid medicine used to treat various inflammatory conditions and auto-immune disorders
- For relieving pain and inflammation in different body parts and various conditions, for eaxmple arthritis
- To treat various allergies associated with the skin (eczema, erythroderma) and lung disorders (asthma attack)
- It is also used in cancer therapy to reduce some specific symptoms and side effects to improve the quality of life
Contraindications of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- If you are allergic to dexamethasone or any other components of this medicine
Side effects of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- The side effects of this tablet are highly dependent on the dose and duration of the treatment. You may experience anxiety, stomach discomforts, insomnia, mood swings, dizziness, and restlessness
- Prolonged use of this medicine can suppress the activity of adrenal glands and induce Cushing's syndrome characterised by a moon face, obesity, and pink-purple stretch marks
- Other side effects are visual disturbances, blood-related disorders, skin reactions, weak immunity, high blood pressure and masking of underlying infections
Precautions and Warnings of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
Can I take Dexona tablets during pregnancy?
Dexona is not recommended during pregnancy, especially in the third trimester. It may increase the risk of growth retardation, abnormal brain development and cleft palate/lip in the fetus. Cases of cataracts also have been observed in babies born to mothers taking steroids for long term. Thus, it should be taken when the doctor recommends after assessing the benefits and the risks to an unborn baby.
Can I take Dexona tablet while breastfeeding?
This medicine passes into breast milk in small amounts. Thus, the use of this medicine is not recommended in breastfeeding mothers unless prescribed by the doctor.
Can I drive if I have consumed Dexona tablet?
It is less likely to affect your driving abilities. However, you should not drive if you experience any side effects which can hamper your ability to be alert.
Can I consume alcohol with Dexona 0.5mg tablets?
Although there is no known interaction with alcohol, it is important to consult your doctor if you drink alcohol too often.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience any skin allergies, rise in blood sugar levels, or you have diabetes
- You experience mood disturbances, fits and other psychiatric problems including suicidal thoughts after taking this medicine
- You experience visual disturbances and eye infections. Upon long term use, there is the probability that you may develop a cataract
- You are elderly or you have a heart problem, high blood pressure and cholesterol, blood clotting problems, liver and kidney diseases
- You are trying to conceive or taking any fertility treatment, discuss with your doctor before taking this medicine, as it can impair the fertility of an individual.
- You have a history of muscle weakness due to steroid therapy or have a condition called myasthenia gravis
- Dexona may cause inflammation and swelling in different parts of your gut like stomach, pancreas and can also cause ulcers
- Children and adolescents consuming steroids should be observed for growth abnormalities as steroids can retard the growth in children
- Dexona makes you more prone for infections, in case you are suffering from an infection like a fungal infection, measles and chickenpox
- You are taking medicines to suppress the immune response, discuss your condition with a doctor
Mode of Action of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
How Does It Work?
Dexona is a steroidal medication. Steroids are hormones produced in the human body and responsible for normal body functions. It acts by suppressing the immune response in allergies and inflammation a
nd during organ transplantation and helps in reducing symptoms such as pain, swelling, and allergic reactions. Steroids play a critical role in maintaining normal body functions during stress....
Directions for Use of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- Take Dexona tablet regularly as directed by your doctor
- This medicine should be taken with meal or after eating a meal
- It should be swallowed whole with a sufficient amount of liquid
Interactions of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Contraceptives, when taken with Dexona, can prolong the effect of Dexona tablet
- Antacid medicine containing salts of aluminium and magnesium should be used after a gap of 2-hours with Dexona
- Rifampicin, Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, Ephedrine, and Primidone can reduce the effect of Dexona
- Concomitant use of Dexona tablet with antifungal medicines such as Ketoconazole and Itraconazole can increase the effect of Dexona. Variations in blood count can be seen if Dexona is taken with medicines used to treat high blood pressure such as Enalapril and Captopril...Read more
- Digoxin medicines used to treat heart failure when consumed along with with Dexona, reduce the potassium levels in the body
- Dexona can reduce the blood-glucose-lowering action of anti-diabetic medicines
- Dexona can reduce the anticoagulant effect of medicines like Coumarin
- There can be increased the risk of ulcers and bleeding in the digestive tract when painkillers such as Aspirin and Indomethacin are taken with Dexona
- Dexona when taken with muscle relaxants, muscle relaxing effect is prolonged
- Atropine or other medicines used to dilate pupil can increase pressure inside your eyes, if used with Dexona
- Medicines used to suppress immune response such as Cyclosporin can increase the risk of getting infections, if taken along with Dexona
- Dexona should not be consumed within 8 weeks if you have received any live vaccine
Storage and disposal of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- Store the tablets at room temperature and away from moisture
- Keep it out of reach of children and pets
Dosage of Dexona 0.5mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
The overdose of Dexona tablets can affect your metabolic and hormonal activity. The symptoms are very similar to side effects such as salt imbalance, swelling of face, stomach discomforts, and brain-r
elated side effects. Reach out to the nearest hospital or contact your doctor in case there is no improvement. If the patient experiences seizures and breathing difficulties rush immediately to emergency medical support....
Missed a Dose
If you miss any dose of this tablet, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of m
edicine to compensate for the missed one....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Dexona tablet be given to children?
A: Dexona tablets should only be given to children if it is prescribed by the doctor and in the exact dose as prescribed under the supervision of an adult. Giving steroids to children for a long term can impair their growth.
Q: Can diabetic patients use Dexona 0.5Mg tablets?
A: Yes, but Dexona tablet should be consumed with precaution with anti-diabetics as it can interfere with the blood-glucose-lowering effect of anti-diabetic medicines. Inform your doctor if you have diabetes and arrive at the suitable dose adjustments.
Q: Can I stop taking Dexona tablet on my own?
A: No, you should not stop taking Dexona abruptly as it can result in steroidal withdrawal symptoms such as weakness, fatigue, loss of appetite, diarrhoea and vomiting. Steroid medicines should be stopped by reducing the dose slowly without stopping the treatment abruptly. You should always consult your doctor about this matter.
Q: What is the meaning of steroid withdrawal?
- When we consume medicines containing steroids, they act as a natural steroid produced in the body
- Adrenal glands responsible for synthesizing steroids reduce its production when you are on steroids. When you stop taking steroids abruptly, it can lead to steroid withdrawal symptoms due to reduced levels of steroids...Read more
- It usually results in common symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, body aches, muscle pain, light-headedness and nausea
Q: Can I take Dexona tablet in high fever?
A: No, it is not an antipyretic medicine, and it does not help in reducing fever.
Q: How to reduce the side effects of Dexona tablet?
- Inform your doctor about any specific side effect that is bothering you
- Your doctor may reduce the dose of your steroid medicine or suggest an alternative route of administration
- Maintain healthy food habits and an active lifestyle
- Taking steroids for too long can affect your bone health. Consult your doctor if you can take Vitamin D and calcium as a supplement
- Never stop taking this medicine abruptly as it can aggravate the side effects. Your doctor will reduce the dose gradually when required
Q: Is Dexona 0.5mg an antibiotic?
A: No, Dexona tablet is not an antibiotic. It is a steroid used to treat swelling and inflammation.
Q: Can Dexona tablet cause weight gain?
A: Yes, Dexona 0.5mg tablet can cause weight gain. If this effect is bothersome, talk to your doctor or dietician. Or else you can start exercising daily.
Other Products from this Brand
Last Updated on: 05 Apr 2021 | 10:35 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Buy 2 or more healthcare products & get an additional 10% off
Flat 15% off + up to Rs.1000 cashback
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved