Vermisol Syrup 10ml
Vermisol 50 MG Description
Vermisol Syrup is used in the treatment of different types of worm infestations in children. It contains levamisole as its active ingredient, which belongs to the antihelminthic group of medicines.
Levamisole acts against the parasitic worms by suppressing the enzymes in their muscles. This action weakens the reproductive capacity of the worms and stops their multiplication. Eventually, the worms get killed and expelled from the body. It also acts as an immunity stimulant and has been used in combination with other medicines in the treatment of colon cancer and infections. It has also been found to be useful in the treatment of some skin conditions. Side effects of Vermisol Syrup include headache, vomiting, weakness, mouth sores and stomach pain. Vermisol Syrup is advised for children in a single dose formulation. It is usually repeated after a gap of a few days to eliminate the worms completely from the body and avoid regrowth of the worms. Overdosage or misuse of Vermisol may lead to consequences like severe deficiency of infection-fighting cells in the blood, anxiety, hot flushes, low blood pressure and loss of consciousness.
|Uses||Worm infestations, colon cancer.|
|Side effects||Headache, Stomach pain, Vomiting, Mouth ulcers.|
Uses of Vermisol 50 MG
- As per CDSCO, Vermisol syrup is used in:
- Treatment of worm infections of different types, including roundworms, stomach worms, lungworms, barber’s pole worms and wireworm
- Treatment of liver infection by fluke worms
Contraindications of Vermisol 50 MG
- If you are allergic to levamisole, the active ingredient in Vermisol Syrup.
- If you have kidney disease
- If you have a joint problem
- If you have a blood disorder
- If you are pregnant
- If you are breastfeeding
Side effects of Vermisol 50 MG
- Change of taste
- Feeling sick
- Muscle and joint pain
- Black coloured stools
Precautions and Warnings of Vermisol 50 MG
Other General Warnings
- If you have joint problems
- If you have kidney or liver disease
- If you have any blood disorders
- If you have dry mouth and eyes in a condition called Sjogren syndrome
Mode of Action of Vermisol 50 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Vermisol 50 MG
- Vermisol Syrup is to be taken orally in the dose as advised by the doctor. Doctors usually repeat the dose after a gap of some days to complete the treatment.
- Vermisol Syrup should preferably be taken with food to avoid vomiting and upset stomach.
- You should follow the instructions of the doctor about the time and dose of Vermisol Syrup.
Interactions of Vermisol 50 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- To avoid side effects associated with medicine interaction, it is important to inform the doctor about all medicines and health supplements you are currently taking.
- Vermisol Syrup is known to interact with the following medicines:
- Medicines used in the treatment of parasitic infections, such as ivermectin, get enhanced in their action when used with Vermisol Syrup.
- Medicines used in the treatment of worms, such as albendazole, get less effective with Vermisol Syrup.
- Medicines used in the treatment of worm infestations like pyrantel increase the toxic effects of Vermisol Syrup.
- Medicines used in the treatment of seizures, such as phenytoin, get more toxic with Vermisol Syrup.
Interactions with food items
- There are no known adverse interactions of food with Vermisol Syrup. You can continue having your usual food unless your doctor suggests otherwise.
Storage and disposal of Vermisol 50 MG
Dosage of Vermisol 50 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Tulika Singh
M.B.B.S, DFM, PDGPPHC, MPH(NUS)
Dr. Jagruti Jain
M.B.B.S., M.D., D.N.B., General Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is Vermisol Syrup a safe medicine for my child?
Q: What are ways of finding out that the child has a worm infection?
Q: Why do worm infections occur?
Q: Are there ways that can help me protect my child from infections by worms?
- Kazy Z, Puhó E, Czeizel A. Levamisole (Decaris®) treatment during pregnancy. Reproductive Toxicology [Internet]. 2004;19(1):3. Available from:
- . Levamisole (Oral Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic [Internet]. Mayoclinic.org. 2022 [cited 21 March 2022]. Available from:
- Levamisole [Internet]. Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation. 2022 [cited 21 March 2022]. Available from:
- Levamisole [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2022 [cited 21 March 2022]. Available from:
- G G. Mode of action of levamisole [Internet]. PubMed. 2022 [cited 21 March 2022]. Available from:
- WH H. Drug interactions of levamisole with pyrantel tartrate and dichlorvos in pigs [Internet]. PubMed. 2022 [cited 21 March 2022]. Available from:
- WH H. Toxicity and drug interactions of levamisole [Internet]. PubMed. 2022 [cited 21 March 2022]. Available from: