Vaxirab Dry Vial Of 1 Powder For Injection
Vaxirab 2.5 IU Description
Vaxirab is a vaccine containing inactivated rabies virus (Pitman Moore strain) produced on purified chick embryo cells. It can be given before or after contact with the virus, such as through animal
bites, scratches, or even being licked by an infected animal, to prevent rabies infection.
Uses of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
- To protect from infection by rabies virus
Contraindications of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
- History of hypersensitivity to Vaxirab or any other contents of the vaccine
- Severe febrile sickness
Side effects of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
- Pain at the site of injection
- Stomach pain or discomfort
Precautions and Warnings of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
Other General Warnings
- You are sensitive to avian proteins
- You or your child are allergic to neomycin, chlortetracycline, amphotericin B, polygeline or egg and egg products, as well as other contents of this vaccine
- You or your child have fainted before or after receiving an injection previously
- You or your child are taking or plan to take any other medicines, including ones that a doctor has not prescribed
- You have a disease that needs medication
- You are at a greater risk of contracting an infection
Mode of Action of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
- Do not inject the vaccine by yourself
- A competent nurse or doctor will administer the vaccine to you or your kid in a clinic that is well-equipped to handle any allergic reactions that may develop
- Use the vaccine within 8 hours of reconstitution
- Any directions given by the doctor or nurse regarding aftercare instructions should be followed
- Your doctor will determine whether or not you require booster shots based on your risk of contracting the rabies virus
Interactions of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
Interactions with other medicines
- Immunosuppressive agents may prevent an adequate response to the rabies vaccine from developing. Hence, it is recommended that in such cases, serological reactions be monitored and that supplemental dosages be provided as needed...
- Other inactivated vaccines such as tetanus toxoid can be used with Vaxirab. Each vaccine is administered at a distinct injection location
- Vaxirab can be combined with rabies immunoglobulin to treat rabies. It must, however, be injected at a site distant from the immunisation site
- Taking chloroquine for malaria prevention at the same time as receiving the rabies vaccine may impair antibody development
Storage and disposal of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
- Store the vaccine in a refrigerator and maintain the temperature between 2°C to 8°C. Do not put it in the freezer
- Protect the vaccine from light and store it in the outer carton in a dark place
- Use the vaccine within eight hours of reconstitution
- Place out of reach of children
- If the expiration date mentioned on the outer box has passed, do not use the vaccine
- Vaccines should not be disposed of in the wastewater. Consult your pharmacist about proper disposal options
- Any unused product or solid waste is first autoclaved at 121 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes and then incinerated
Dosage of Vaxirab 2.5 IU
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is it necessary for everyone to get the Vaxirab vaccine?
Q: Which animals, other than dogs, get infected with rabies?
Q: Can the Vaxirab rabies vaccine protect me for a lifetime?
Q: Why should one get immunized even before getting bitten or licked by an animal if additional doses are needed after contact with the virus, too?
- Package Leaflet: Information for the user [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 3 March 2022]. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.2502.pdf
- Vaxirab pre-filled syringe - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 4 March 2022]. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/2502/smpc#INDICATIONS
- Updated Summary of Product Characteristics [Internet]. Cdsco.gov.in. 2022 [cited 7 March 2022]. Available from: https://cdsco.gov.in/opencms/resources/UploadCDSCOWeb/2018/UploadSmPC/2cad.pdf