If Popeye the Sailor Man could get his strength from spinach, you could too because this leafy vegetable is considered a superfood. The reason why spinach is considered a superfood is because of the loads of nutrients and low-calorie that it possesses. This leafy veggie also benefits your skin, hair and bones.
Some of the powerful health benefits of spinach are that this vegetable helps stabilise your blood glucose levels, helps in reducing your risk of developing cancer, prevents you from cancer and is good for bone health. One vegetable with so many health benefits is amazing and our ancestors were not wrong in propagating its uses for the human body. So adding this green to your healthy diet will benefit your health in multiple ways. Before we get into the health benefits that this green has in store for us, let understand some of its nutrition facts.
Spinach also helps in controlling diabetes. It has a low glycemic index (GI), thus it does not cause a spike in your blood sugar levels (You can refer to the Glycemic Index Food Chart to find out GIs of other foods that can be included in your Diabetes Diet Plan). It is also an excellent source of fibre and low in calories, making it an ideal food to be used in recipes for diabetes.
Spinach Nutrition Table
All of us know that spinach is good for us, but the question remains as to what makes this green a superfood? The below-listed nutrition table will give you an insight into some of the components that this green possesses.
Apart from the above-listed nutritional facts, here are some vitamins and minerals that make this green super healthy.
The leafy green is said to contain 250 milligrams of calcium per cup and this would help keep your bones healthy including your teeth. Also, in order to get the best out of spinach, it is advised that you combine vitamin C rich foods along with this such as citrus fruits and increase your absorption of calcium.
Magnesium is said to increase your metabolism, regulate your heart rhythm and maintain blood pressure. Thus, spinach has a rich source of dietary magnesium that can benefit your health in multiple ways.
Your body needs iron content in order to use body energy effectively. In order to get the best out of iron content, you can add some vitamin C foods such as citrus fruits to spinach and improve your absorption of iron content.
Nutritional chart for 100g of raw spinach
|Amount||Percentage of daily required intake|
|Fats Total||0.3 g||0 %|
|Carbs Total||3.8 g||1 %|
|Fibre||2.4 g||10 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|Vitamin A||210 %|
|Vitamin C||16 %|
|Magnesium||(when cooked)||19 %|
|Sodium||70 mg||3 %|
|Potassium||466 mg||13 %|
Also contains plant compounds like Lutein, Nitrates, Quercetin, Kaempferol and Zeaxanthin.
15 Health Benefits of Spinach
Spinach is linked to numerous health benefits that improve your eyesight, cancer prevention and regulate blood sugar. This is the actual reason why this leafy green is considered a superfood. Here are some health benefits of spinach that you need to know.
1. Prevents Cancer
Spinach has a high source of zeaxanthin and carotenoids that can flush out the free radicals from your body. These free radicals make your body prone to many diseases including cancer and as a result, spinach is said to prevent cancer. So all you need to do is to consume spinach and prevent yourself from stomach cancer, mouth cancer and oesophagus cancer.
2. Reduces Blood Sugar
Spinach is said to have high potassium content that is usually recommended for people suffering from high blood pressure. So how does potassium benefit a person suffering from high blood pressure? Well, potassium reduces the effects of sodium in the body.
3. Aids in Good Bone Health
Spinach contains vitamin K that aids in good bone health and this means adequate consumption of vitamins can do good to your health. It also improves calcium absorption by your body. Spinach contains 250 milligrams of calcium per cup and this is much required by your bones and teeth. Calcium is a strengthening agent for your bones and keeps your bones healthy.
4. Aids in Weight Loss
If you are planning to reduce your weight, then it is advised that you add spinach onto your weight loss diet and this will do you good. Spinach leaves aids in weight loss and also are low in calories. Its high amounts of fibre content also help in good digestion, regulate low blood sugar and prevent constipation. All you need to do is to consume spinach once a day and this will do good for your health. Spinach makes feel full and curbs your appetite. So adding this to your everyday diet will help benefit you in multiple ways.
5. Good For Your Eyes
The antioxidants that are found in spinach are lutein and zeaxanthin and these help in providing good eyesight. It also protects yours from cataracts, age-related macular degeneration and other eye problems. The vitamin A found in spinach helps to maintain mucus membranes that are essential for normal eyesight.
6. Reduces Hypertension
Hypertension is also known as high blood pressure is responsible for causing many heart diseases, kidney disease and strokes. Thus consuming this superfood can prevent all these risks and keep you healthy. Consuming at least once a day can reduce anxiety and stress and help you keep a calm mind. Spinach contains vitamin C that also helps in reducing hypertension.
7. Has Anti-inflammatory Properties
This superfood contains neoxanthin and violaxanthin are two anti-inflammatory properties that regulate inflammation. Its high source of anti-inflammatory properties can help you prevent osteoporosis, migraine, asthma, arthritis and headaches. So make sure that you add this healthy leafy green to your regular diet and reap the benefits of it.
8. Keeps Your Body Relaxed
Spinach keeps your mind calm so that you do not get tensed and maintain a stress-free life. Its high source of zinc and magnesium enables you to get good sleep at night and good sleep can help aid all your mental illnesses. This will help your body stay relaxed and rest your eyes. So consuming spinach at least once a day can definitely do good to your health.
9. Keeps Your Brain Functioning Normally
This leafy green helps in the smooth functioning of your brain, especially during old age. Thus consuming this leafy green on a daily basis will keep your brain active and enable you to think intelligently. It’s content of vitamin K, Vitamin K helps a healthy nervous system and aid in normal behaviour.
10. Boosts Your Immunity
Vitamin A content found in spinach is said to strengthen the entry points in the human body such as respiratory, intestinal tracts and mucus membranes. So all you need to do is to consume one cup of spinach every day and stay healthy. It energises you and keeps you active all day.
11. Prevents Heart Attacks and Atherosclerosis
Over the years excessive fat gets stored in your arteries and this leads to thickening of the human artery which results in strokes and atherosclerosis. However, the arteries tend to harden over the years and in order to prevent this from happening you need to consume spinach that will prevent this from happening. This is because of a substance called lutein that is responsible for preventing your arteries from thickening. This substance also prevents the risk of developing heart diseases.
12. Prevents Anaemia
Spinach has a high source of iron content in it that can prevent you from the risks of developing anaemia. Iron is also good for women who are menstruating, children and adults. Iron also boosts energy in the human body and also helps in carrying oxygen to all the cells of the body.
13. Glowing Skin
Your skin is the largest and the most sensitive part of your body and if you are looking for a skin texture that is glowing, then you need to try consuming some spinach. However, our skin requires essential nutrients and minerals that need to keep it healthy and as a result, this leafy green vegetable is the right dose that can do good to your skin. Some of the vital nutrients that spinach contains are vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E including vitamin K which plays an important role in healthy skin.
14. Prevents Acne
Acne is a skin condition that can reduce your self-confidence in society and can also damage your skin and leave skin scars that can be permanent. Well, if you have acne try consuming some spinach and this ease the inflammation in your skin and reduce acne. You can also prepare a facial mask by making some spinach paste and adding a little water. Once this is done you need to apply it onto your face and wait for 20 minutes. This will reduce inflammation in your skin and remove dirt and extra oil that causes acne.
15. Natural Anti-Ageing Properties
Premature ageing is one of the most common problems that most youths are facing today. However, spinach comes loaded with antioxidants that have the tendency to destroy and prevent free radicals that cause premature ageing. Consuming spinach on a regular basis will benefit your skin and give it a shiny texture. Instead, it will rejuvenate your skin and make you look younger and healthy.
|Kidney Stones||– Kidney stones form when there is an excess of acid and calcium oxalate- Spinach contain calcium and oxalate- Those who are at a higher risk of developing kidney stones should consume less spinach|
|Blood Clotting||– Spinach is high in vitamin K1, this vitamin is important for blood clotting- Too much spinach may affect blood thinning medication|
Note that these are rare situations, for most people, spinach is a very healthy addition to their diets.
Benefits of Spinach Juice:
A great way to indulge in a healthy and green spinach diet without compromising your tastebuds is by making a spinach juice or smoothie. They are easy to make and take less time. However, they provide the same nutritional value. Here are some major health benefits of Spinach juice-
- Spinach has a high antioxidant value. It contains antioxidants like lutein, beta carotene, coumaric acid, and ferulic acid. These antioxidants help prevent chronic illnesses and oxidative damage to the DNA.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin- two antioxidants loaded in Spinach juice known to protect the health of your eyes. Macular degeneration is the slow loss of vision in your eyes as you age. Spinach juice helps slow that down. Spinach juice also contains Vitamin A which improves eyesight.
- Spinach juice and leafy greens in general are known to defend the body against cancer cells. They have specific compounds that can prevent the multiplication of cancer cells and lower the risks of lung, prostate, and breast cancer.
- Spinach Juice helps reduce blood pressure. It has great amounts of nitrates and compounds which can dilate your blood vessels and reduce blood pressure and enhance blood flow. A study with 27 people found that consuming spinach juice helped with their high blood pressure and arterial stiffness.
- Spinach Juice is filled with Vitamin A and Vitamin C micronutrients. Together they can help promote healthy hair and glowing skin. Vitamin A regulates skin cell generation and produces mucous to protect against infections. Vitamin C protects skin against skin damage, ageing, and inflammation.
While Spinach Juice is filled with antioxidants and nutritional benefits, one must have it in proportion with enough proteins and fats. It should not be used as a meal replacement. Spinach Juice can make a wonderful part of your balanced diet.
Now that you know the wide range of health benefits associated with this healthy leafy green, here are some frequently asked questions about this green that will give you an insight into some of its other health benefits.
1. Can spinach improve your skin complexion?
Yes, it does aid in good skin complexion and this is because of its content of vitamin K and folate. These substances also help in reducing acne, dark circles and give a radiant and glowing texture to your skin. So if you want to have younger and brighter skin, then you need to consume some spinach as this superfood can do a lot of good to your skin and health in total.
2. Is spinach good for your hair too?
The reason why this leafy vegetable is considered a superfood is because it offers all-around benefits in terms of health in general, skin and hair. The use of hair creams and gel has made the pharmaceutical business run and thereby avoid all-natural ways of preventing hair problems. However, it is advised that you consume the skin and this will reduce hair fall to a large extent. This also combats hair fall and aids in faster hair growth.
Also Read: Effective Home Remedies For Frizzy Hair
3. What is spinach made of?
Spinach is made up of water. Take, for instance, one cup of cooked spinach contains 164 grams of water. This is what makes this leafy greens essential for better skin, hair and overall health. Thus consuming plenty of water will keep our skin nourished and hydrated.
Consuming spinach every day is a good thing as this superfood will benefit you in excess. What more can you expect to get in life when you have this healthy green leafy veggie that can benefit you in almost always possible. From reducing your risk of heart disease to giving you radiant skin, this superfood is the best weight loss food that you need to add to your healthy everyday diet plan list. So, live healthily and say yes to spinach.
4. What are some of the side effects of over-consumption of Spinach?
Although, spinach is a very healthy vegetable that should be incorporated into your weekly diet plan if not daily, it can have a few negative impacts on your health if consumed in excess:
- Spinach contains oxalic acid which limits calcium absorption by the body
- Eating spinach too much can lead to the development of calcium-oxalate which can cause kidney stones
- Spinach contains vitamin k which interacts with certain medications and put you at risk of blood clots
- Since spinach requires time for digestion, it hinders metabolism and leads to bloating, gas and cramps
5. What are some easy ways by which I can include spinach in my meals?
If you do not like the idea of drinking spinach juice, there are a few fun and tasty ways by which you can include spinach into your daily diet. Some of these dishes are:
- Palak paneer
- Palak chicken
- Omelette with spinach and cheese
- Spinach and Mushroom pasta
- Classic French Spinach quiche
- Chicken Panini with Spinach and Sun-dried Tomato
6. Can I consume spinach daily if I have arthritis?
No, if you already suffer from joint pain, consuming spinach can worsen inflammation and pain and lead to gout, which is a kind of arthritis.
7. Which is better? Red or green spinach?
Whenever we speak about spinach we assume it to be the green kind. However, The red variant is equally and some say even slightly more healthy than the red kind. The many wonderful benefits of red spinach at a glance are as follows:
- Take care of digestive health: Red spinach has a good amount of fibre which improves your colon health and keeps you safe from colon cancer and constipation.
- Can help to treat cancer: Red spinach is enriched with vitamin c, magnesium, potassium, vitamin E, acid and iron, which can help to eradicate the formation of cancerous cells.
- Helpful for anaemia: Red spinach is full of iron, important for stimulating healthy blood flow in your system. Consuming red spinach improves haemoglobin and purifies the blood.
- Enhances kidney function: the fibre content in red spinach keeps your kidney function in healthy order.
- Can help treat asthma: Red spinach contains beta carotene which keeps chronic conditions such as asthma under control. It strengthens your respiratory system and keeps out restrictions within the bronchial tubes.
- Improves bone health: Red spinach contains vitamin K which is necessary for boosting bone health. Consuming red spinach will keep you safe from the early onset of osteoporosis and reduce the risk of bone fractures.
- Solution for dark circles: if you suffer from dark circles eating red spinach can strengthen your blood vessels due to the vitamin k content and reduce the appearance of dark circles. It also improves blood circulation and enhances your overall skin quality.
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.