Spices and herbs have innumerable health benefits. If you want to stay in peak health and enjoy your life to the fullest, then you have to make room for a few spices and herbs in your regular diet.
A list of Spices you should consume –
- Turmeric (Haldi)
We will kick off our list with turmeric, which is one of the most versatile spices out there. It is extensively used all over India and is a necessary component of curries.
This yellow spice is as valuable as gold when it comes to your health. Here are some benefits of turmeric-
- Turmeric contains curcuminoids, which have anti-inflammatory properties that protect you from chronic or acute inflammation.
- It will stop your immunity from mistakenly attacking the healthy cells.
- Turmeric can boost your immunity and help you fight off aggressive foreign particles that intend to harm you.
- It can repair damaged tissues and muscles.
- It strengthens your cognitive abilities and can combat dementia or Alzheimer’s.
- Turmeric is high on anti-oxidants and therefore beneficial for heart health.
- Curcumin present in turmeric can prevent unnatural cell growth and in effect stop cancer from taking root.
You possibly use turmeric in cooking. You may also take a small quantity of it early in the morning with some warm water.
- Cinnamon (Dalcheeni)
Yet another regular ingredient of Indian cuisine, cinnamon too is extremely vital for promoting good health. Some of the ways it can help you are-
- Use cinnamon instead of sugar to flavour your tea and avoid all the harmful effects of sugar.
- This spice has the ability to suppress pain, especially the kind originating from painful joints.
- Cinnamon contains compounds that are anti-inflammatory.
- It can prevent cancer and help with muscle repair.
- Cinnamon can reduce high blood pressure.
- It prevents fluctuation of sugar level.
Cinnamon adds great flavour to desserts, so feel free to add decent amounts whenever you feel like baking or preparing something sweet.
- Black Pepper (Kaali Mirch)
A gently spicy flavour that goes with most Indian dishes, black pepper is packed with goodness-
- Black pepper contains anti-oxidants that can neutralize free radicals that would otherwise harm your heart.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties can prevent heart disorders, arthritis, cancer and diabetes.
- It can improve your brain function.
- Black pepper helps your body absorb other nutrients better.
- It is also a natural pain-killer.
Black pepper can be sprinkled onto any food.
- Peppermint (Pudeena)
Peppermint is a wonder herb. Here are a few reasons you should buy a few sprigs of peppermint right away-
- It improves your digestion, so chew on a few peppermint leaves if you feel that your meal is taking too long to be digested.
- It boosts your mood by triggering the secretion of endorphins.
- It is an effective remedy against nausea, morning sickness and motion sickness.
If you don’t like peppermint in your food, you can brew yourself some peppermint tea instead.
- Basil (Tulsi)
You will find a basil plant in quite a lot of Indian households. The health virtues of its leaves have been chronicled in the ancient texts. And science too has proven that basil offers the following benefits-
- It fights off the common cough and cold.
- Basil is effective against bronchitis, asthma and other respiratory problems.
- It can lower high blood pressure.
- It can safeguard the health of your heart.
- Basil can ease headaches and earaches.
Tulsi leaves are aromatic and delicious. You can simply pluck a few leaves and chew them.
- Fenugreek (Methi)
Fenugreek is also widely used in preparing Indian cuisine. It is extremely beneficial for your health-
- Fenugreek boosts the health of your heart by curbing bad cholesterol.
- It can stabilize blood pressure.
- Fenugreek in your diet can help you lose weight.
- It can soothe pain in your muscles.
- It can improve your digestion.
Roast fenugreek seeds and use them for cooking. You may soak these seeds overnight and drink the water the next morning.
Indian spices and herbs are chock-a-block with nutritional benefits. Try incorporating the spices and herbs we mentioned in your diet to stay happy and healthy.