Dengue fever is a tropical-borne disease characterized by mosquito bites and the dengue virus. The breed of mosquito called Aedesaegypti which survives only in tropical and sub-tropical areas throughout the year- facilitates transmit of the virus. To know the ways to avoid dengue, it is important to know that these mosquitoes are said to be prevalent a lot more during the day than at night and hence the chances of being bitten by this mosquito are high during the day. Dengue spreads when an affected (dengue) individual is bitten by a mosquito and that mosquito bites another individual.
Dengue can lead to symptoms like: high body temperature (as high as 104°F), intense joint & muscle pain, pain behind the eyes, nausea and/or vomiting, severe headaches, etc. There are no proper vaccinations for dengue and all the vaccines are in the development phase. This poses a major threat to people and for treating an individual affected by dengue. The treatment of dengue relies on providing relief for the symptoms more than getting it treated with heavy medication.
Due to all these issues, adopting ways to avoid dengue fever can benefit a lot more than trying to cure it. The 5 ways to avoid dengue fever are:
- Reduce mosquito habitat: The mosquitoes which breed dengue thrive in stagnant water containing objects like tires, plastic covers, flower pots, pet’s water bowls, etc. Reducing the habitat available for these mosquitoes(by getting rid of stagnant water to breed) can help prevent dengue.
- Stay in well-screened houses:Ensure that the windows are closed properly or the door screens do not contain any holes. This would eliminate the chances of any mosquitoes entering the house.
- Use mosquito repellents:Using mosquito repellents, especially in tropical areas with high population and crowds can help repel mosquitoes from biting you. Apply mosquito repellent creamson your body when travelling to tropical destinations and even when you are indoors.
- Wear protective clothing: In order to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes, one can go for long-sleeved clothes and full pants with socks & covered shoes. It is advisable to go for this kind of protective clothing specifically in dengue-infested areas.
- Sleep under mosquito-net:Sleeping under the mosquito net can provide you and your children double layer of protection from being bitten by mosquitoes.
Read More: The Zika Virus: A Simplified Guide
It is always advisable to consult your physician or a doctor as one of the important ways to avoid dengue fever when you feel you have the symptoms of dengue fever. The doctor would be able to diagnose whether you have the dengue fever or symptoms of some other issues.Having a dengue affected member in the house can increase the chances of other members getting the fever.
In such cases, family members need to be highly vigilant and prevent everyone from getting bitten by mosquitoes. There is no cure for dengue as such and severe cases can even lead to death. Following simple steps to prevent yourself and your family members from being bitten can help reduce the risk of being afflicted with dengue fever.