High blood pressure can be fatal and hence it is important to know how to keep it under control. Hypertension is a blood pressure reading above 140/90 mmHg. Such a high reading puts one at risk for a number of serious health conditions, including stroke and heart disease. Knowing the essential Steps to Control Hypertension would help at great levels.
Maintaining hypertension requires a lot of healthy lifestyle changes which should be a part of your personal life goals. Continue to follow the points mentioned below and try to incorporate it in your daily habits.
Here are the best Steps to Control Hypertension-
- Cut down on Salt- The higher the sodium in the body the higher the blood pressure. Adapting a low-sodium diet can help keep the blood pressure normal. Limit to consuming a total of 1,500 milligrams of salt per day which means no processed foods.
- DASH Diet- DASH stands for dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. Following a DASH diet means including a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, 4-5 servings of nuts, seeds and legumes in the diet. Encourage a lot of protein in your diet and avoid fat, sugar. Also, include plenty of whole grains in the diet like brown bread, rice, pasta etc.
- Exercise regularly– One of the best ways to control hypertension is by maintaining the body weight and the most effective way to do that is by staying active. Exercise will help improve the blood circulation, lung capacity and heart efficiency.
- Medication- If your doctor asked you to take you bp medicines at a particular time, take it exactly on time. Never skip your dosage. You can use the PharmEasy app to help set dosage reminders.
- Know your numbers- Make sure to check your blood pressure regularly by getting a check up done at the clinic or at home. Most of the people target to keep their blood pressure at 140/90mmHg but that doesn’t necessarily have to be the case for everyone. Consult with your doctor and find out the target bp you have to maintain and work towards it.
Apart from all these, try to keep your stress under control as well. There are a lot of Steps to Control Hypertension and follow a calmer lifestyle. A morning ritual which starts with positive thoughts and a chamomile tea can have a very calm impact throughout the day.