Moringa – also known as drumsticks – is a common ingredient used in Indian cooking. This herb has been used in Ayurveda since olden times because of the numerous ways it benefits your health. It can protect you from skin problems, diabetes and infections. In addition to all these benefits, it can also help you lose weight.
Before we talk about taking moringa powder for weight loss, let’s quickly go through the nutritive value of moringa leaves from which moringa powder is obtained.
Moringa is native to subcontinental parts of Asia and Africa, leaves of moringa are rich in beneficial minerals and vitamins. These leaves are rich in polyphenols that can reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.
100 g of moringa powder contains 34 g of fibre. Fibre, especially soluble fibre, is recommended for people looking to lose weight as it suppresses appetite and makes you eat less than usual. Fibre also lowers the level of hunger hormones that the body produces.
Moringa is also rich in –
- Calcium – Good for your bones
- Iron – Improves the ability of blood to transport oxygen
- Copper – Helps maintain immune function and healthy blood vessels
- Vitamin A – Keeps your eyes healthy
- Magnesium – Combats depression and reduces inflammation
- Zinc – Improves immune function
Moringa Powder and Weight Loss
The benefits of moringa powder for weight loss haven’t been extensively studied. However, few studies have shown that moringa powder can prevent fat accumulation in the body and accelerates the breakdown of fat in the body.
Also, moringa leaves are anti-inflammatory in nature, which is good for your health when your goal is to lose weight.
It has also been shown that moringa powder works well in combination with other supplements for weight loss.
Other Benefits of Moringa
The health benefits of moringa powder have been attributed to the antioxidants and polyphenols present in it. Moringa powder has the following benefits for your health –
- Lowers cholesterol levels.
- Maintains a healthy blood sugar level
- Stabilizes blood pressure
- Lowers inflammation in the body
- Provides protection against heart diseases
- Improves blood circulation and the health of your skin and hair
How can you consume moringa for weight loss?
- Powder – You can add moringa powder to smoothies, yogurt or shakes.
- Capsules – Capsules containing moringa powder are available.
- Tea – You can also make a decoction with moringa powder and consume it as tea. Because it’s caffeine-free, moringa tea acts as a relaxing beverage.
If you are taking medications for blood sugar or blood pressure then consult a doctor before taking moringa.
Moringa is also known as the “Miracle Plant”, indeed it has some miraculous health benefits. Leaves of the tree contain abundant vitamins, minerals, and polyphenols and it can indeed help you accelerate your weight loss goals.
Also Read: 16 Health Benefits of Moringa Leaves