In recent years, people have turned to the power of plants for healing purpose and the essential oil is one of them! It became a trending topic on the social media world.
These plant-derived extract is engaging internet viewers for their ability to do just everything be it elevating your mood, lowering anxiety, easing heartburn, etc. Essential oils can play an important role to keep your body and mind fit. So, let’s see what exactly essential oils are?
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are the essence of the plant. It is extracted from various plants. They are made by pressing or steaming different parts of plants like roots, stem, leaves, fruits, etc. It contains a high amount of active ingredients of that plant with a stronger smell.
You may add it with cream and other oils to enhance their effects. Usually, you will not get this oil in its pure form but a mixture.
Popular Types of Essential Oils Are:
There are more than 90 types of essential oils with its unique smell and use. Practitioners use them in natural and alternative health practices, such as aromatherapy and naturopathy.
Here is a list of some popular essential oils –
- Rose Oil – It is one of the expensive oil for its soothing floral fragrance that may useful for stress, anxiety.
- Lavender oil – One of the widely used essential oil specifically relieve insomnia
- Sandalwood oil – It is so much popular for fragrance and also helps to relieve anxiety and improve sleep.
- Jasmin oil – A sweet-smelling oil is used for stress-reliever with the potential to help to treat dry skin, inflammation and prevent signs of ageing.
- Peppermint oil – It is used for headaches and stomach issues like irritable bowel syndrome.
- Roman Chamomilla oil – It is excellent for relaxation and to improve your mood.
- Ylang-Ylang – It is mainly used to relieve pain, improve mood and to lower blood pressure
- Basil il – It is an essential herb to ease a cough, enhance mood, and soothe the sore muscles.
- Lemon – It is used to aid digestion, mood, and more.
- Tea tree – It is very effective to treat fungal infections and boost immunity.
Health Benefits of Essential Oils Are:
Stress & Anxiety
Studies have shown that using essential oils can help to reduce stress. By inhaling essential oils brain give a signal to certain emotions that make you feel optimistic and hopeful. Using certain essential oils for massage gives you tremendous relief from stress and anxiety.
Read More: 7 Different Types of Relaxation Techniques
Smelling lavender oil can improve the quality of sleep, especially after childbirth.
Recent studies have observed reduced headache after applying peppermint oil with lavender oil.
Essential oils are a great substitute for hair care. Peppermint oil is effective in treating both greasy and dry hair. It helps in improving blood flow to the areas of the scalp. Lavender essential oil helps in deeply conditioning the hair, keeps it shiny and works to control dandruff.
Essential oils heal damaged skin and provide deep nourishment. Lavender oil and tea tree oil have anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the irritation and inflammation associated with skin conditions such as acne, eczema, burn, or insect bite. It alleviates wrinkles hence improves skin appearance.
Read More: 20 Foods That Are Good For Skin
Some essential oils can help in reducing irritation and inflammation of the skin. Apply diluted essential oil directly to the affected area to reduce swelling and pain.
Allergic Reactions to Essential Oils
Due to a lack of clinical data, some people may experience irritation or allergic reactions to specific essential oils. They may cause some side effects such as
- Skin rashes
- Asthmatic attacks
How to Use Essential Oils?
There are 3 ways to use essential oils –
- By inhalation
This method helps you to smell the essential oil by diffusing an essential oil in a diffuser or by steam inhalation or by spray.
- Through skin
Some essential oils can absorb through your skin when applied topically. These oils cannot be applied directly to the skin without being diluted.
- By orally
You can ingest essential oils for various purposes but make sure its safety purpose first.
Here are some tips to use essential oils –
- Dilute & Use – Never use essential oil in undiluted forms as it may cause allergic reactions. Always mix it with the recommended medium before use.
- Avoid Using More – It doesn’t make sense that using extra essential oil will give you more benefits. It can be dangerous as essential oils are highly concentrated compounds. Hence, it may become problematic for your body.
- Check the quality – Always look for trusted production before you purchase anything. Also, don’t buy oil with an “absolute” label as it contains petroleum-based byproduct.
- Don’t use essential oils for everything – Don’t use it blindly unless and until you are sure about it. If you are feeling weak due to dehydration then essential oils won’t help you. You need to take plenty of liquids.
- Don’t Ingest Essential Oils without Guidance – Ingest essential oils can be harmful so always consult a recommended practitioner before use. Even a drop of pure essential oil can be dangerous.
Essential oils are used worldwide to treat a variety of physical and mental illnesses. Generally, these oils are used by inhaling them. You can also dilute them and apply them on the skin for good results. Though these oils are not approved by the FDA but have been successfully used in various disorders under proper guidance.