First aid basics training is a necessary requirement especially when you want to be equipped in preventing illness or injury. More than for helping others, first aid is important for your wellness and awareness. There are many other advantages provided by getting trained in first-hand safety.
Why do we need First aid basics?
First aid is essential for home safety, safety at work, to protect children and help out during natural disasters. Awareness is the first thing that can help you be well prepared and understanding different protocols for adults and children that need to be followed. It helps in assistance for providing quick medical treatment till professional help arrives with the help of the first aid kit.
What all does a first aid kit have?
Your first aid kit will contain everything that you need when there is an injury or illness. Here is a list of must-haves for your kit-
- Manual- A manual will help you access the injury and situation better and provide you with the right guidance regarding the treatment of wounds. This way it is ensured that anyone who uses the kit has a basic knowledge about the usage.
- Cotton and Antiseptic liquid- These are must-haves as it will help clean any type of wound and prevents the wound from getting infected.
- Antibiotic ointments- It will help in treating the wound better and provides a pathway for healing. It can be administered to treat many conditions and types of wounds.
- Tweezers- This will help you remove any infection-causing substance stuck in the wound like glass, hair etc to make the area of injury infection-free and clean.
- Bandages & medical tapes- Band-aids, bandages (both roller and triangular) and medical tapes are important to put pressure on the wound and stop bleeding. It also helps in reducing swelling.
- Pain relievers- Aspirin-based and non-aspirin pain relievers should be a part of the kit at all times especially when dealing with deep and scarring wounds.
- Instant cold packs- This mainly caters to the swelling of the wound. Instant cold packs help in reducing the intensity of wound and the usage is also simple and instant. It is recommended by many medical professionals.
- Disposable gloves and pocket masks- Use of disposable gloves and pocket masks can help in reducing the risk of infection for you and the person you are helping especially while giving rescue breaths.
To be more medically aware and prepared, there are many training courses available. Knowing what to do can make a huge difference between life and death. Be safe and take precautions. It is always good to be prepared.
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.