Early detection of COVID-19 cases and timely response in terms of isolation and treatment can help break the chain of transmission of COVID-19. However, the laboratory testing (RT-PCR tests) of samples for COVID-19 is a time-taking process. This is where self-testing rapid antigen test kits come into the picture. These are a cost-effective way to test for COVID-19 at home and provide quick results leading to prompt isolation and treatment if needed.
They can also be used for regular screening of asymptomatic/symptomatic individuals which can help restore a sense of safety and reassurance as we take small steps to return to academic, professional, or social life amidst this pandemic. In light of this, Abbott has launched the Panbio™ COVID-19 antigen self-testing kit for the detection of Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 virus) antigen in adults and children with or without symptoms.
This is a rapid COL-07118-01 Panbio COVID-19 Ag ST – Practo Online Article (India) FINAL antigen test which detects antigens (identifiable proteins of the virus which stimulate an immune response in your body) of the Coronavirus. The test is approved by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and facilitates self-reading of results and quick online reporting to ICMR via Abbott’s NAVICA™ app.
Read on to find out more about the Panbio™ COVID-19 antigen self-testing kit.
What are the components of the kit?
Each Panbio™ COVID-19 antigen self-test kit contains:
● 1 test device
● 1 instructions for use
● 1 tube
● 1 blue cap
● 1 buffer bottle
● 1 swab
● 1 bag
● 1 tube rack
What are the storage requirements of the kit?
For proper storage and stability, this test kit should:
● Be stored between 2-30 °C (should not be frozen).
● Be kept at room temperature (15 to 30 °C) for 30 minutes before use, if refrigerated.
● Not be stored in direct sunlight.
● Be used immediately after removing the device from the sealed packaging.
● Not be used beyond the indicated expiration date.
How to self-test?
If you suspect that you or a family member may be infected with COVID-19, take the Panbio™ COVID-19 antigen self-test.
Read the instructions carefully before starting and keep a timing device ready.
- Follow the instructions to download the NAVICA™ app. Open the app and follow the prompts.
- Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before the test.
- Open the box and remove the components, but do not open the individual components.
- Squeeze liquid from the buffer bottle into the tube till the fill line and place the tube on the rack.
- Remove the swab from the package at the stick end and swab both nostrils one after the other, by inserting the swab up to 2cms or till resistance is met and rotating the swab 5 times against the nasal wall.
- Insert the swab into the tube and swirl it in the liquid at least 5 times.
- Hold the tube and snap the swab at the break line.
- Discard the stick and leave the swab in the tube.
- Secure the tube with the blue cap and place it in the rack.
- Take out the test device from its package and place it on a flat surface.
- Remove the white cap of the tube and squeeze 5 drops of the liquid into the well on the test device.
- Secure the tube with the white cap and wait for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, use the NAVICA™ app to click a picture of the test device and submit the result.
- The app will display your results and also submit it to ICMR.
- Interpret the results and dispose-off the test kit as per instructions.
How to interpret the results?
Find the result window and look carefully for two lines.
● Positive Result: If there are two lines, control (C) and test (T) line, the COVID-19 virus was detected.
● Negative Result: If only the control (C) line is present, the COVID-19 virus was not detected.
● Invalid Result: If no control (C) line is present, the test is invalid.
This kit is available in your nearby local pharmacies and online as well. Click here to check.
Who all can take the test?
The test kit can be used by individuals of all ages. However, in children below the age of 14 years, the test should be supervised by an adult.
What are the advantages/USPs of the test?
The Panbio™ COVID-19 antigen self-test has several advantages.
● It detects COVID-19 infection in symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals.
● It provides results in 15 minutes.
● It is easy to use with illustrated step-by-step instructions included in the kit.
● It reduces the need to visit busy and crowded healthcare facilities for COVID-19 testing.
● It provides accurate results*.
*In clinical evaluations of 102 self-test users, the Panbio™ COVID-19 antigen self-test correctly identified 100.0% (81 out of 81) of SARS-CoV-2 negative samples and 95.2% (20 out of 21) of SARS-CoV-2 positive samples.
What are the limitations of the test?
The test has the following limitations:
- It works effectively only with a nasal swab (the one provided in the test kit).
- The test performance can be affected if the instructions are not followed or samples are handled incorrectly.
- Reading the test results before 15 or after 20 minutes may give incorrect results.
What is the kit priced at?
A single test kit is priced at Rs 325 and a pack of 2 is available for Rs 650. The kit is also available in packs of 4, 10 and 20.
What precautions need to be taken while performing the test?
There are a few aspects to be considered while using the test.
- Each single test kit and components (except the tube rack) are for single use only.
- Avoid eating or smoking while handling the sample.
- Wash hands before and after the test.
- After the test, dispose-off all the materials in the bag provided and clean up spills using a disinfectant.
- Touch the swab end only to the nasal cavity and inside of the tube and handle the test device by its sides to prevent contamination.
- Do not use the kit if the pouch is damaged.
- Wait for 4 hours before repeating the test if the result was invalid.
If the test is positive, contact a doctor immediately and follow self-isolation guidelines. Further, a negative result does not rule out COVID-19 infection and false-negative results are possible. If you test negative, but COVID-19 related symptoms continue, get an RT-PCR test done. A confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19 should only be made by a medical professional after further evaluation.
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.