Berries are probably the first fruit to be consumed from a fruit basket. They look pretty, taste good and make pastries better. When it comes to the health benefits of berries, all berries pack a powerful punch — and have some rather amazing benefits.
Here are 8 of the Amazing Health Benefits of Berries:
- Strawberries abound with more vitamin C than oranges; they are also one of the best cures for constipation. The high fibre content of the fruit is known to help improve bowel function. And unlike prunes, which can have the opposite effect if you’re not adequately hydrated, strawberries are 92 per cent water. The seeds (which are around 200 in every berry) brush through the gut undigested and helps in cleaning the gut wall and also support colorectal health.
- Berries help in preventing Parkinson’s disease. According to research, people who eat at least two servings of berries per week have a 25 per cent less chance of developing Parkinson’s disease than their peers. The same study showed that men who consume the highest intake of flavonoids (which are abundant in berries) reduced their risk by 40 per cent.
- A study done on endurance athletes suggested that frequent consumption of blueberries significantly reduced oxidative stress and inflammation as compared to that of a control group. It also helps in reducing delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).
- Blackberries were called gout berry by the ancient Greeks as they were used as a remedy for gout. Many generations ago in American folk medicine, Cherries were eventually discovered to be more effective since cherries contain an enzyme that neutralises uric acid.
- Raspberries can help fight inflammation in gout the same way that aspirin or ibuprofen does by shutting off signals sent by COX-1s and COX-2s enzymes which are accountable for the body’s inflammatory response. Raspberries also contain antioxidant carotenoids, ellagic acid and quercetin (a type of flavonoid antioxidant that is found in plant foods including leafy greens and tomatoes).
- Belly fat may be a signal of higher risk for certain diseases, including diabetes and heart diseases. Blueberries are proven to help boost fat-burning in the abdomen and also lowering the dangerous triglyceride levels.
- Berries can help you get great skin. Not just from the high water content and the antioxidants present that you eat but by putting them on your skin as a face mask can tone and remove impurities. (Crush 2 tablespoons blueberries; mix with juice and 1 cup brown sugar and 3 tablespoons fresh lemon. Softly scrub onto your face and rinse with cool water.)
- A close relative of blueberries and huckleberries, bilberries have conventionally been a favoured treatment for ulcers, so it is no surprise that they encourage the increase of protective mucus in the stomach and the list of health benefits of berries goes on.
Also Read: 5 Health Benefits of Kokam
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.