Remember the skipping rope? It instantly reminds one of the carefree childhood memories. But, who said these memories have to be confined to only the childhood years? In fact, unbeknownst to many, there are benefits of skipping for good health!
Perhaps, you can once again start living those happy times, starting today itself. All you need to do is open those old treasure troves and pull out your skipping rope. Or, pick up one at the store near you.
And if you need a slightly more impactful nudge, here are some awesome benefits of skipping. So, are you ready to get started?
Tones up Your Lower Body Muscles
Skipping is one of the best and easiest ways to tone up the muscles in your legs. Initially, you may feel a bit of soreness, in case, you are not accustomed to any kind of physical activity. However, once you make skipping a regular routine, you will start to see stronger, conditioned muscles around your leg area.
Ideal for Weight Loss
With the upcoming monsoon, your exercise regime bound to go haywire. But you can keep yourself abreast with your weight loss goals by resorting to the plain ol’ skipping rope. Bouncing up and down the rope for 30 minutes or so can burn anywhere close to 300 odd calories. Also, skipping is relatively safer as compared to both jogging and running because as you skip you arrive on your toes thereby causing less impact on your knees.
Read More: 8 Effective Exercises for Weight Loss
A Full Body Workout
Just like swimming, in skipping too, you are practically using every body part. While the lower body feels the maximum impact, the arms and shoulders are also constantly in motion, the mind and eyes are alert, and you are concentrating hard. Skipping also helps to correct the body posture and by bringing in some interesting variations you can make the entire exercise challenging and fun.
Improves the Skin
Any form of exercise helps to up the blood circulation in the entire body. And with an increased blood circulation, nutrients get passed on to the skin and the toxins get flushed out.
Also Read: 7 Health Benefits of Exercise
Improved Cardiovascular health
Skipping is one of the best cardio and HIIT (High-intensity Interval Training) workout. As you skip, your heart rate improves, and the good news is, skipping is great for blood pressure patients too. However, it is always best to check with your doctor before you indulge in any kind of physical activity.
Key points to keep in mind before you get into the act!
- Always invest in good quality shoes before you start skipping. While many prefer to skip barefooted, others who experience pain while skipping should wear good quality sports shoes to absorb the shock that the feet feel on meeting the ground.
- Needless to say, buy a good quality rope. The old one can get you all nostalgic but you can’t afford to get hurt while using it.
- Ladies, wear a good quality sports bra. Skipping cause vigorous breast movement and an ill-fitted bra can cause the breast muscles to tear and cause the breasts to sag.
- Most importantly, also check the surface. It should be smooth and preferably wooden.
- Do a proper warm-up before you commence with the skipping exercise. Thus, stretches or a light on-the-spot jog is a must.
So, are you ready to exercise in on the most economical ways!
Also Read: What is the Best Time to Exercise?