The Delta Variant that was responsible for the second wave of COVID-19 in India has taught us two things: Recovery after COVID-19 can be a long and strenuous process and the risk of other health complications is very much real.
That is why it is imperative that you learn and prepare yourself for the aftermath of a COVID-19 infection so that you can effectively deal with all post-COVID-19 effects and problems.
Usual post-COVID-19 effects that one may experience
Most recovering people will tell you that though they don’t feel as ill as when they were battling the infection, they still feel very much under the weather. Recovery can take anything from 4 weeks to several months. Common post-COVID-19 effects include:
- Extreme fatigue
- Joint or muscle pain
- Lingering feverishness
- Breathing trouble
- Stomach or chest pain
- Mood changes
- Difficulty to concentrate
- Sleep disturbance
Post-COVID-19 problems that can be serious
Some post-COVID-19 effects are to be expected to disappear with time and you need not be worried. But COVID-19 infection may trigger a few other serious health conditions and may impact your vital organs. You need to be alert of any unusual symptoms that you may experience and discuss them with your doctor so that you can take the right action at the right time!
Long COVID-19 or Post COVID-19 Syndrome is more likely to affect:
- Elderly people
- People who have been diagnosed with other illnesses like multi-system inflammatory syndrome, cancer patients, diabetes, asthma, obesity and cardiovascular problems.
- People with autoimmune diseases.
- People with weak immunity.
- People suffering from a bleeding or clotting disorder.
Symptoms of some serious post-COVID-19 effects
If you are experiencing any of the following, then talk to your doctor immediately:
- Severe pain in your chest or abdominal region
- High fever
- Splitting headache
- Swelling in one side of your face
- Sudden rise in blood sugar levels
- Sinus congestion
- Pain, swelling or redness of eyes
- Swelling of gums, mobility in any tooth
- Red rashes anywhere on your body
- Frequent nightmares
- Difficulty in concentrating on any task
Post-COVID-19 effects on people with cardiovascular disorders
COVID-19 may impact the health of someone who has already been diagnosed with a heart condition. COVID-19 may trigger an oxygen imbalance which will impact the performance of the heart and cause new cardio-pulmonary problems. But with early detection and proper medication, the post-COVID-19 effects on the heart can be managed.
Tests that might be recommended to you. Your doctor would want to analyse your health so that a further medical course of action can be determined for you. To understand the state of your health, the following tests may be recommended:
Other measures to help you combat post-COVID-19 effects
You must understand that the COVID-19 infection takes a toll on your body. You need to take care of yourself to recover faster:
- Do not engage in strenuous activities for at least a month.
- Rest for as long as your doctor advises you.
- Do gentle yoga or stretching exercises.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat only fresh and healthy vegetables and fruits.
- Avoid deep-fried and processed foods.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- Avoid smoking
- Keep an eye on the post-COVID-19 effects.
Shower love and care onto yourself during the recovery period. Stay connected with your loved ones on the phone. This is a crucial phase and things can go wrong if you are not careful. Follow your doctor’s advice, do not ignore any unusual symptoms and never try to self medicate. Keep away all the stress and recover well with a positive mindset.
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.