In summers, quite a lot of people prefer to add cold water to regular room temperature water in a bid to quench their thirst. But doctors do not advise drinking cold water no matter how much you crave it. In fact, they suggest the opposite. Drink water that is lukewarm. You might have seen people who are very conscious about their health opting for warm water instead of cold water. They do it because warm water offers numerous benefits for the body.
Benefits of Drinking Warm Water –
Water itself has tonnes of benefits. It can promote overall health and protect you from a number of diseases. But when it is a little warm, its benefits increase manifold-
- Drinking regular water that is lukewarm speeds up digestion. It can quickly break down food particles and aids in better absorption of nutrients. When you drink plenty of warm water, it will ensure that you do not get dehydrated.
- Warm water is instrumental in preventing constipation that can lead to other health complications like piles and haemorrhoids.
- When you drink warm water, your body heats up. This means that your metabolism too is accelerated. A faster metabolism means your body’s ability to utilize the energy released from the break down of food is enhanced.
- Lukewarm water induces you to sweat a lot. The more you sweat, the more your body is able to flush out toxins through perspiration.
- Warm water enlarges your blood vessels slightly. This promotes better blood circulation. More oxygen reaches all parts of your body and all organs function better.
- Since warm water improves blood circulation, it can actually relieve pain, especially muscle and joint pain. But don’t drink very hot water as it will have the opposite effect and make your joints swell up.
- Boiled water that has cooled down and is slightly warm can also ease sinus problems when you’ve caught a bad cold. It gets the mucous moving, which means your body can get rid of it through coughing and blowing your nose.
- Another reason why you should drink boiled water which is slightly warmer than room temperature is it is a stress reliever.
Cold water may bring you temporary respite from the heat but it does more harm than good-
- It slows down digestion and impacts your metabolism rate.
- It is very likely to give you a congested nose and a sore throat.
- It lowers your heart rate.
These are the reasons why you should always opt for water that is slightly warm no matter how enticing cold water seems. If warm water is unappetizing, you can add lime juice or herbs like tulsi to improve its flavour.