A beautiful smile with sparkling white teeth – this is one of the first things that people notice about us! This is why many amongst us think of whitening our teeth. However, many whitening products use chemicals and bleach our teeth; this is something that many are not comfortable with.
Thus, one of the best ways to avoid discoloration of teeth is to prevent the following activities:
- Smoking cigarettes
- Excessive consumption of processed foods that are high in their acidic content – soft drinks, candies, etc.
- Allowing the mouth to become dry – lack of saliva
- Drinking tea and coffee
- Certain antibiotic usage
- Poor diet
Simultaneously, here are some techniques to whiten your teeth in the most natural and safest ways:
Apple Cider Vinegar
Acetic acid is one of the prime ingredients in Apple cider Vinegar, which helps to kill bacteria effectively. To clean the teeth, dilute it with water and rinse your mouth with this mouthwash. After washing with this mixture, rinse with plain water a couple of times. It is also observed that this acid can erode the teeth enamel, and thus a daily usage is not highly recommended. Also, read the health benefits of apple cider vinegar.
Baking Soda has natural cleansing and whitening properties, and that is why it is a critical ingredient in toothpaste too. Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2-3 teaspoons of water and brush your teeth with this mixture. Baking Soda also creates an alkaline environment in the mouth that keeps bacteria at bay.
Coconut oil pulling is a traditional technique that is widely followed by many. Simply, put a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth and gargle for 10 to 15 minutes or add a few drops of coconut oil on your toothbrush and brush with it. Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties and works best for both the gums and the teeth. And the good news is that it is a highly effective natural teeth whitener too. You can also use Sunflower and Sesame oil and still get the desired results.
Lemon or Orange Peels
Like Apple Cider Vinegar, other citrus fruits like oranges and lemons also help to whiten the teeth. Along with their regular consumption, you can also use the peels of orange and lemon on your teeth. However, ensure that you rinse your mouth with plain water a couple of times after applying the peels on your teeth.
Some other best practices include:
- Cut down your sugar intake
- Up the intake of Calcium-rich food in your diet like milk and milk products, cheese, yogurt, etc.
- Regular dental cleaning is pivotal – don’t be lazy when it comes to brushing and flossing
- Limit the intake of staining foods like red wine, soda, certain kinds of berries
- Consume nuts like walnut, almonds, etc.
- Brush your teeth with activated charcoal. Its absorbing properties help trap toxins and plaque that cause staining
- Ensure that you include mushrooms, eggs, sweet potatoes and carrots in your diet