Snake bites have an air of fear around them and their sinister reputation fuels the fire. Ironically though, snakes are more scared of human beings than humans are of them. The same applies to dogs. Most of the species are harmless and will only bite if provoked.
Out of the 3,000 species of snakes, only 400 are known to be poisonous. However, not all the 400 snakes cause deaths when they bite. Seriousness of snake bites is influenced by a number of factors, which include:
– the victim’s age, size, health condition and the mental state
– the nature of the bite – penetration of one or both fangs, the location of the bite and proximity to major blood vessels and the amount of venom injected.
Hence, each bite is unique on its own. The bite of a highly venomous snake can leave a person unscathed or a mildly venomous snake can have lethal bites.
First Aid for Snakebites –
– Seek medical health as soon as possible.
– Keep movement minimum
– remove watches, rings and bracelets if the victim is bitten on the finger or hand. Loosen any tight clothing, in case of swelling
– Apply a pressure bandage to the bite. Apply firm pressure to the bite, taking care that the chest movement isn’t restricted or the breathing isn’t affected.
– use a sling or splint to restrict the movement of the affected limb.
– use a pen to make tracings/marking around the swelling and keep checking it for the rate of increase in swelling.
– keep the affected area lower than the heart level.
Take care that –
– No aspirin or any other pain relievers are consumed.
– Tourniquets aren’t used. This will completely block the blood flow and may cause loss of affected limb.
– the venom is tried to be sucked out, or the bite isn’t cut into with a knife. This only worsens the wound.
– the snake bite area isn’t washed or cleaned. Traces of venom, left on the skin or bandage can be used as a sample to identify the species of the snake and determine the anti- venom that needs to be administered.
Wonder what you’d have to do in case of a bone fracture? Read on to find out.