Exercise is essential for your overall health. Good health and weight loss are interrelated. If a person has a higher body mass index, then they are prone to several disorders like hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, and other cardiovascular problems. Exercise becomes very crucial if you are trying to lose weight and want to be fit and healthy.
Two important factors that need to be considered to lose weight are exercise and dieting. The balance between the two is very important. In your everyday routine, if you follow your diet and skip exercise or work out intensely and not follow your diet then you will see your body behaving very differently.
Exercise has many benefits attached to it along with weight loss. Exercise improves your mood, strengthens your bones, and reduces the risk of many chronic diseases. People tend to pull themselves out from exercise as they won’t have the time to hit the gym or even cannot afford to join a gym or personal trainers to guide them on their fitness journey.
7 Best Exercises to Lose Weight At Home
So, here we would like to suggest to you the 7 best and popular exercise programs that you can practice at home and make yourself stronger, fitter and healthier.
1. Aerobic Exercises
Walking is considered one of the best weight loss exercises. Walking at a fast pace is a great exercise for burning calories. An exercise program that puts minimal stress on your joints and can be incorporated into your day-to-day activities.
According to many studies, A 70-kg individual burns around 167 calories per 30 minutes of walking at a pace of 6.4 kph. It is also observed that an individual can reduce their body fat by an average of 1.5% and waist circumference by 2.8 cm by walking for 50-70 minutes 3 times per week.
Jogging and Running are considered to be the king of weight loss exercises. These exercises are total body integrated exercises. It will strengthen your legs and be very effective for belly fat. The major difference between running and jogging is the pace. Jogging is between 6 – 9 kph and running will be around 10 kph.
Running and Jogging will approximately help burn 372 calories per 30 minutes and 298 calories per 30 minutes respectively. The combination of these 3 exercises will certainly help improve your muscular strength and overall body weight to keep you fit and healthy.
Set aside 1 hour of your time and include these exercises in your routine.
- Start with walking exercise for 15 minutes.
- Increase your pace and start Jogging for the next 15 minutes.
- With a constant increase in pace, run for another 15 minutes.
- Reduce your pace and come back to jogging for 10 minutes.
- Relax your body and slow down your pace and walk for 5 minutes.
Looking for Weight Management Products? Visit PharmEasy.in and know about products available for weight management.
2. Skipping or Jumping Rope
Skipping exercise offers a complete body workout and helps increase your muscle strength, metabolism, and burn many calories in a short time.
Skipping exercise done regularly will bring in calmness and help to ease depression and anxiety. The workout also increases your heart rate which results in faster pumping of blood across your body to keep your heart in a better and health condition. Along with your heart, this exercise takes care of your lungs by keeping them functioning and healthy.
Everybody has a distinctive body and which makes the process obtain different results. Losing weight is nothing but burning more calories than you intake and skipping will surely help you do that. This form of exercise approximately burns calories close to 1300 per hour.
- On a flat surface, stand with your back straight.
- Make sure your feet are together and pointing straight.
- Keep your hand straight pointing downwards close to your thighs.
- Jump off the ground and let your rope pass under your feet and bring it back.
- Repeat these steps and increase your jumping speed constantly.
Plank Pose or Plank exercise is one of the most effective full-body workouts. The biggest advantage of Plank’s workout is it targets most of the major muscle groups in the body. It strengthens your muscles in the core, shoulder, arms, chest, back, and hips. Along with these benefits, Plank exercises help in quickly burning the excess fats and calories from the body.
A workout that seems to be a simple and easy one but it’s quite exhausting and intense. The plank exercise is a great example of the longer you workout the better will be your results. You need to focus on holding your plank position for a longer period to find quick and better results.
Plank exercise has different variations that target different muscle and body areas. Each variation is very helpful and keeps improving your core strength, body balance, endurance, and posture.
Plank Exercise Variations:
The Standard Plank: It is also known as The Extended Arms Plank. This position is best suited for beginners who are looking forward to improving their core strength. This workout is great for improving metabolic activity and digestion. The forearm Plank variation is an identical version of the extended arms plank. The target areas of this workout are the core, arms, shoulders, and back.
The Mountain Climbers: Considered as one of the intense variations of plank workout. A full-body workout that burns excess calories and fat from the body. The targeted areas of this workout are biceps, hamstring muscles, core, triceps, and chest.
- Get down into the Push-Up or Standard Plank Position.
- Now bend your right knee and pull it towards your chest.
- Push your right knee back to your initial position.
- Now bend your left knee and get it towards your chest.
- Push your left knee back to your initial position
- Continue the above steps around 20-25 times.
The Reverse Plank: This is a variation of the standard plank but done in a reverse manner. This workout is an excellent way to stretch your body. A workout that reduces unnecessary fats and calories from your body. It helps in strengthening your core, shoulders, back, chest, and gluteal muscles.
- Sit down and extend your legs in front of you.
- Place your hands behind your hips for your upper body support.
- Now lift your hips by straightening your hand and form a straight line with your body.
- Hold this position for 40-60 seconds.
- Repeat these steps and methods around 20-30 times.
4. Push-Ups and Pull-Ups
Push-ups are one of the most popular exercises and it is a workout that can be done at any time, anyplace, and by anyone. Push-ups exercise is very useful for weight loss as it pushes your body away from the ground and exerts energy which in turn burns calories.
Push-up exercises are good as it burns calories quickly and makes you focus on the larger muscles in your upper body. Push-up workout also focuses on your chest, shoulders, back, biceps, and triceps. Push up exercise will also strengthen your core muscles and make your body physically stable and healthy.
Push-ups help in building more lean muscles in our chest, shoulders, biceps, and triceps. If you keep practising push-ups for weeks or months or years, then you will build a great amount of muscle mass, and to maintain your muscle your body has to expend its calories.
- Look for anti-slippery and flat surfaces.
- Place your hands facing forward and slightly wider than your shoulder width.
- Set your feet together or slightly apart in a comfortable position. Initially, you can keep your feet further apart until you find a proper balance.
- Now bend your shoulders as low as possible towards the floor and push up back and straighten your arms.
- Repeat these steps for 15 reps and 3 sets.
Pull-ups focus on several muscle groups that burn more calories as multiple muscles like biceps, triceps, back and core are working together. This workout can aid you to get in shape, increasing your ability to burn fat and boost your metabolism. To complete a pull-up it nearly takes 15 muscles and the primary muscles are your lats and biceps.
According to the study, doing a pull-up workout will help you burn nearly 10 calories per minute. It is recommended that at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity workout have to be done each week as cardio is one of the best ways to burn calories.
- Grip the pull-up bar with your arms fully stretched by standing straight.
- Now bend your knees and pull yourself until your chin clears the bar.
- Come back to your original position slowly.
- Repeat these steps for 15 reps and 4 sets.
Squat exercises are known as muscle strengthening exercises. The main aim of this exercise is to improve your lower part of the body. Squats help burn calories and prevent fat from accumulating in your lower part of the body. This exercise helps improve your mobility and also balance. A beginner should aim for 3 sets of 12-15 reps of at least one type of squat to expect better results.
- Stand straight with your feet wider than your hip width with toes facing front.
- By bending your knees and ankles push your hips back.
- Sit into a squat position by keeping your heels and toes on the ground.
- Keep your knees bent to a 90-degree angle and pose yourself parallel to the floor.
- Straighten your legs by pressing your heels and return to the standing position.
A popular strength training workout that strengthens and tones your lower body and improves overall fitness and athletic performance. Lunges mainly focus on strengthening your back, hips, and legs.
Lunges help in building lean muscle and reduce body fat. It is important to push yourself and include lunges in a high-intensity workout routine with the help of heavyweights. The single-leg movements involved in this workout stabilizes muscles to develop balance, stability, and coordination.
- Stand straight with your back and abs upright.
- Bend your knee by keeping your right leg in the front.
- Now, bend your knee until your right thigh is parallel to the ground and left one perpendicular.
- Keep your front knee above your heel.
- Come back and bring your feet together.
- Repeat the above steps with your left leg.
- 30 reps of alternate lunges are very helpful.
Along with exercises that need to be done at your place for weight loss. There are other factors and methods that can be helpful for weight management. Click here to know more about weight management and weight loss.
Yoga, a 5000-year-old transcription has proved to be an effective weight loss therapy. It is believed to be developed by Rishis and Brahmans and has 5 basic principles: Exercise, Diet, Breathing, Relaxation, and Meditation.
The combination of Yoga and healthy eating has proven beneficial as it helps to lose weight along with keeping your body and mind healthy. It also improves your mindfulness and relation with your body.
Along with weight loss as its benefit, Yoga has more benefits to offer such as:
- Improved Cardio Health
- Increased Muscle tone
- Balanced Metabolism
- Improved Respiration
- Increased Flexibility
- Stress Management
Yoga Poses are an integral part of weight reduction. Yoga poses focus mostly on improving concentration and building your muscle tone. Your body should get used to these poses to yield maximum benefits from yoga.
Some of the yoga poses that should be practised for weight loss are:
- Warrior Pose
- Triangle Pose
- Shoulder Pose
- Bridge Pose
- Bow Pose
- Plank Pose
- Downward Dog Pose
- Sun Salutation
- Is it possible to lose weight with just exercise?
No, Weight loss is a combination of regular workout and proper diet. It is important to ensure you strictly follow both to achieve the desired results.
- If I Sweat more during a workout, does that mean more fat is burned?
No, Sweat indicates your body’s ability to maintain its normal body temperature. Your body starts to store heat when you sweat so that you can experience cooling by evaporation.
- How often should one work out to see results?
Work out regularly to get in good shape. It is advisable to work out at least 2-3 times a week rather than once in a while.
- How many calories to consume in a day?
Calorie intake can be determined by multiplying your ideal body weight by 14. For example, If your body weight is around 135 pounds then you need to consume 1,890 (135*14) calories per day.
Also read: 5 home remedies to lose weight
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.