Acid Reflux, commonly known as Acidity is a condition in which bile or stomach acids flow back into our oesophagus or food pipe and cause irritation.
This results in a burning sensation in our chest which is the commonest symptom of acidity.
Symptoms of Acidity Are:
- Pain and burning sensation in the chest, stomach or throat
- Flatulence or Gas
- Bad Breath
- Nausea or feeling of vomiting
- Heaviness in the stomach after eating
- Frequent burps
- Regurgitation of undigested food coming back in our mouth
Common causes of Acidity:
- Eating at odd times or skipping meals
- Unhealthy eating habits like having too much tea, coffee, cold- drinks, junk, spicy, oily food etc.
- Stomach ailments like Ulcers, Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) etc.
- A bad lifestyle like taking too much stress, sleeping less, smoking, drinking alcohol etc.
Home Remedies for Acidity:
Fennel or Saunf :
Having around 1 teaspoon fennel powder with a glass of warm water relieves acidity and its symptoms like heartburn, bloating and improves digestion. 
Black Cumin Seeds:
Chew cumin seeds directly or boil 1 teaspoon of them in a glass of water and drink it to relieve acidity.
Black cumin seeds are gastro-protective. They are effective in reducing and preventing acidity and its symptoms like heartburn, pain, nausea, bloating, constipation etc. 
Read More: 10 Health Benefits of Sabja Seeds
Suck a piece of clove to get rid of acidity and its symptoms like flatulence, indigestion, nausea, gastric irritability etc. 
Lukewarm Water :
Drinking a glass of lukewarm water empty stomach and before going to sleep at night, provides relief from acidity.
A glass of watermelon juice is effective in relieving acidity and is good for digestion as well. 
Chewing 1 cardamom pod every day helps to prevent acidity, flatulence and improves digestion 
Lactic acid in buttermilk normalizes the acidity in the stomach and gives a soothing effect. A glass of buttermilk topped with black pepper and coriander helps in instantly easing our symptoms of acidity. 
Read More: 11 Health Benefits of Buttermilk
Chewing raw ginger or drinking ginger tea helps prevent acidity and its symptoms. It also aids digestion. 
Also Read: 10 Health Benefits of Garlic
Consuming banana neutralizes acidity and gives relief from heartburn. 
A mixture of milk and banana helps to suppress excess acid secretion.
Papaya reduces gastric acid secretion and gives relief from acidity. 
This effect is due to enzyme papain, present in papaya.
Consumption of ajwain gives relief from acidity and flatulence. It is very good for digestion and is an effective anti-acidic agent. 
Drinking a glass of cold milk instantly relieves acidity. 
Consuming 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda mixed in 1/2 cup of water gives quick relief from acidity and heartburn. 
Adding turmeric to our diet relieves acidity and heartburn caused by it. 
Read More: 13 Health Benefits of Turmeric
In addition to the above, certain lifestyle changes can also help to prevent acidity. They are :
- Stay active and engage in any kind exercise, be it swimming, cycling, dancing or any of your favourite sport
- Eat smaller meals, 4 to 5 times a day
- Have your dinner early, at least 2 hours before you hit the bed
- Don’t overeat and chew your food well while eating
- Don’t lie down immediately after a meal
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese
- Raise the head end of your bed while lying down
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
Avoid Foods That Trigger Acidity like:
Very spicy and oily food
- Tea, coffee, cold drinks
- Raw onions, garlic
- Citrus fruits like lemons, oranges, kiwis
- Junk food etc