Everyone wants a clear face without a single spot. And why not? After all, we all want to look like our favourite celebrity. We dreamt of skin like them for years now, and we have tried numerous remedies to get rid of those tiny spots. Despite everything, those dark spots sometimes become very stubborn.
Are you wondering where to go to reduce or eliminate those dark spots on your face? But, before that, you must know the reason why you are getting those dark spots on your face.
Dark spots or hyperpigmentation occurs when your skin overproduces melanin. This forms spots or patches on your skin that are darker than the surrounding areas. They are usually harmless, but to find out the cause is essential as sometimes it may be due to an underlying cause.
What are the causes of dark spots on the face?
Multiple factors may contribute to hyperpigmentation or dark spot includes
- Sun-exposure – Exposure to direct sunlight may cause increased production of melanin. It may lead to dark pigmentation of the skin.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Irritation due to certain products such as waxing or over-exfoliation
- Inflammation – caused due to certain skin inflammations or injuries to the skin.
- Side-effects of medication – Medicines like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), psychotropic drugs, or tetracyclines can lead to increased melanin production. It can result in dark spots.
Home remedies for dark spots on the face
There are several ways to get rid of these dark spots naturally. However, there’s currently a lack of scientific support for their effectiveness. Here are some famous remedies to try at home to treat dark spots.
Papaya cab used for various conditions. For skin problems, papaya is an excellent exfoliator. Papaya contains fruit acids known as alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), which is a chemical exfoliant. It will help brighten and give the skin a youthful radiance. AHAs are useful for dry skin, hyperpigmentation, fine lines on the face, etc.
How to use
- Take a bowl and mashed a ripen papaya in it.
- Apply it a clean skin.
- Then gently rub it on the skin in a circular motion once the pulp dries on the skin. It helps to exfoliate the dead top layer of skin cells.
- Rinse your face with water.
2: Lemon juice
Lemon is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. It may help to lighten up the dark spots on your skin. However, lemon juice may cause an allergic reaction when you apply it to your skin as it is acidic. Hence you can use lemon juice with other mediators such as yoghurt and honey.
How to use –
- Take a tablespoon of lemon juice with two tablespoons of yoghurt.
- Mix it well and apply it to your face.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Rinse with water.
- After wash, apply your favourite moisturizer and sunscreen.
Sometimes the cause of dark spots can be overexposure to the sun. Tomatoes are naturally rich in lycopene that may protect your skin from the sun. They are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants too. They can help your skin look glowing and clean.
How to use-
- Apply tomato pulp on your skin.
- Then gently massage your skin in a circular motion.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with clean water.
For ages, Indians are using turmeric for cooking as well as for its healing properties. Turmeric is an essential ingredient in a skincare regimen. It helps to reduce the production of skin melanin due to the presence of curcumin in it. Curcumin is an antioxidant with anti-melanogenic effects. It may lighten the dark spots and make your skin crystal clear.
How to use-
- Mix a tablespoon of turmeric with adequate water.
- Mix it well and apply it all over the face with the help of a cotton pad.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
Cucumber is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins, and silica-rich compounds that help reduce the hyperpigmented spots on your face.
How to use-
- Take some fresh cucumbers and blend them.
- Apply the paste to the affected areas and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
6: Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a famous remedy for skin and hair complaints. It is a naturally derived ingredient known for its soothing and moisturizing properties. Aloe Vera contains 99.5 percent water that helped to hydrate your skin magically.
How to use-
- Apply pure aloe vera juice to the dark spots on the face. You can extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes of the affected area.
- Wash it with lukewarm water.
Yoghurt is a natural skin brightening agent that helps to fade dark spots by exfoliating the skin. It is rich in lactic acid that improves discolouration and age spots. It also helps to improve skin tone, texture and reduce inflammation. You can use yoghurt alone or can combine it with other healing products such as turmeric or oatmeal.
How to use-
- Apply yoghurt on the dark spots with the cotton pads.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off.
8: Red lentils
Red lentil (Masoor dal) powder is very beneficial to treat hyperpigmentation on the face. They are rich in antioxidants that are known to be good for the skin. However, more scientific studies are required to prove the effect.
How to use-
- Soak some red lentils overnight in a bowl of water.
- Blend it and make a fine paste from it.
- Apply the paste on your face for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
There are a variety of remedies to lighten stubborn dark spots. However, you need to check before using any of the home remedies for allergic reactions. If you feel any discomfort, stinging, or a burning sensation, rinse off the mixture immediately with lukewarm water.
Read more about: Top 9 Health Benefits Of Eating Well
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a health care professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.