Typhoid is an infectious disease that is caused by Salmonella bacteria and is an extremely prevalent malady during the monsoon season.
Some common symptoms of the disease include:
- Chills and fever
- Enlargement of the spleen and liver
Many patients also experience nausea and an acute loss of appetite. However, it is extremely essential to consume small portions of food at regular intervals to give the body some much-needed strength and energy. Therefore, high-calorie foods for typhoid is recommended.
So, what kind of diet should a typhoid patient adhere to? Let’s learn more about foods good for typhoid patients below:
Doctors generally recommend the healthy foods for typhoid below:
- Up the intake of carbohydrates. Porridge, soft rice, baked potatoes are all good food items to add to a typhoid patient’s diet.
- Make it a point to give the patient semi-solid food since it is easy to digest.
- It is also vital to provide the body with as much fluid as possible. Deadly typhoid has a tendency to cause severe dehydration, so it’s best to give the patient adequate proportions of fruit juices, lassi, glucose water, lime juice, and coconut water. Alternatively, you can also give him/her good servings of water-rich fruits.
- Generally, a high-calorie diet is also suggested. This includes food items such as bananas, potatoes etc.
- Up the consumption of dairy products such as milk and yogurt.
- Soups such as spinach soup, vegetable soup, carrot soup, chicken soup, and mushroom soup can also be given.
- Ensure that the patient drinks adequate water. The drinking water should be boiled and filtered properly.
- Simple boiled yellow daal can also be given. These make for healthy foods for typhoid.
- Ensure that there is adequate consumption of proteins.
- The meals should be light, easy to digest and frequent in nature.
Food items to avoid
- Avoid food items that are high in fiber.
- Spicy food, fried items are a strict No.
- Avoid food items that cause gas and bloating of the stomach.
- Control the intake of ghee and butter.